AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 15108 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah me too, I am thinking about just sticking with the 75X850C and maybe in the fall upgrading to the 75X940C if it is really the greatest thing on earth.

The 79X900B is tempting, but I am not sure how the black levels will compare to the 850C being that the 900B has an IPS panel.

This passion/hobby gets very nerve racking / stressful at times.
Saw you have plasma as well, just so you know what my reference point is for black uniformity I have a Samsung 58c8000 and 60e8000 inch plasma. This 65w850c is my new bedroom set for casual use.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What I find strange is someone had a video posted up on this thread and it looks to me like it's the 55 inch. If that's the case it also had dark corners on it and it's edgelit so that would tell me it's the cabinet design that makes the corner slightly darker than the rest of the screen on very bright content. Just watch the video and you'll see it; I was just wanting confirmation that's the 55 inch before I make this assumption . In the scheme of things for me it's a nonissue and I don't see it unless I focus on the corners of the screen which I never do. Clouding on the other hand when I watch my TV the majority of time in the evening bothers me to the extreme as I notice it during all dark content...
If you're talking about the one in this thread with the butterfly - it says 65" in description.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
No, but Cedric from rtings.com confirmed that they are reviewing the 55 inch version so you should be all set based on what that outcome is . I would assume the specs are all very similar but I have no idea ...
That kind of sucks since the 65 and 75 use a different lighting system than the 55. It will mean the review will only be valid for people buying the 55. :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
No, but Cedric from rtings.com confirmed that they are reviewing the 55 inch version so you should be all set based on what that outcome is . I would assume the specs are all very similar but I have no idea ...
Is Cedric's response on the site in Q&A?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Is Cedric's response on the site in Q&A?
No he emailed me, there is a link at the bottom of his page you can ask a question. This was his response:

We haven't bought a W850C yet, so there is no estimate for that one. We do have 3 other 2015 Sony here though. Here is the list:

XBR55X850C (in review right now)
XBR43X830C
KDL50W800C
KDL48R510C

Cedric Demers
Rtings.com

He said in a subsequent email he would test the 65w850c when it was in stock where he gets his sets, he did confirm that for me as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That kind of sucks since the 65 and 75 use a different lighting system than the 55. It will mean the review will only be valid for people buying the 55. :(
Agreed! I still can't understand why there are no reviews on the 65/75 850c series, I have had mine for a week already.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
Dead serious, I promise man you will be very happy with the uniformity. I am extremely picky and sent back 2 w800b sets for gaming last year because they had some slight clouding to them; can't stand it. I LOVE these sets, I think direct lit makes a huge difference. Again I have the w850c but it has the same cabinet and the same lighting technique. You Should find a major difference, sorry if the smiley came off as sarcastic as I know you must be frustrated as well! Trust me on this, I am very picky and other than being able to pick the backlight up on extreme bright scenes and the very edge of each corner being slightly darker during white screens ( it is very minor) you should be in bliss.
Yes I agree with this the screen was very uniform no banding or dirty screen effect. The video I posted has a fade to white then colour scene there you can see how uniform the screen is.all four corners are darker but perhaps this is a new procedure to get a uniform panel like more pressure applied on the corners. its very minimal and better than having light bleed that so many sony's suffered from.This was a positive for this set.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
While I was viewing the X930C today, I also got to view the 65X850C. It has a very noticeable LED array. I counted around 64 individual LED's behind the panel. It had noticeable DSE/vertical banding and the same issues as the X930C (posted in the X930C thread). The edge-lit versions may be better in this regard.

·
Banned
830 Posts
While I was viewing the X930C today, I also got to view the 65X850C. It has a very noticeable LED array. I counted around 64 individual LED's behind the panel. It had noticeable DSE/vertical banding and the same issues as the X930C (posted in the X930C thread). The edge-lit versions may be better in this regard.
Uyy-yuy-yuy....smh... Yup... The 940C to be very happy. I now feel that if a TV does not have FALD and Xtended Dynamix Range pro, one will not be happy :mad:

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Are you serious? You have a picture? :eek: :) :eek:

U people serious right now? Lol

Just because 1 model u see has good uniformity, does not mean they are all like that. U can get lucky, but that's as far as it goes unfortunately.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
No he emailed me, there is a link at the bottom of his page you can ask a question. This was his response:

We haven't bought a W850C yet, so there is no estimate for that one. We do have 3 other 2015 Sony here though. Here is the list:

XBR43X830C
KDL50W800C
KDL48R510C

Cedric Demers
Rtings.com

He said in a subsequent email he would test the 65w850c when it was in stock where he gets his sets, he did confirm that for me as well.
XBR55X850C (in review right now)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

Just because 1 model u see has good uniformity, does not mean they are all like that. U can get lucky, but that's as far as it goes unfortunately.
Yea, after seeing the new 2015 models today, id be more willing to bet you would get one with poor uniformity.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

^^^^^^^^ unfortunately that is true ! I Want 2 no what panel is X55850C ? AUO ? Samsing

·
Registered
367 Posts

I May have created a new account but I used to have an account here on AVS under different name however I forgot my old password. I've been involved with Enthusiast Televisions for quite some time, I first owned a 36 inch Sony wega XBR800 (I believe) it weighed 250 pounds. I've owned Sony Sxrd, Samsung hls6187w dlp (great set) and currently Sony 46hx850, Samsung 58c8000 plasma, Samsung pn60e8000 and now Sony kdl65w850c. As I mentioned I returned quite a few edgelit LED because I hate lack of screen uniformity. I believe the backlit 65/75 w/x 850c series sets ( I have seen 3 now) have a very good screen uniformity, just my opinion but it is what I have observed; of course there are variances. I believe the following Sony backlit sets ( 65/75w/x 850c ) have even screen uniformity.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Agreed that I can see it during some content, it is much less of a problem than clouding and blooming to me. We all have our negotiables though and our non- negotiables so pick what you can live with.

261 - 280 of 15108 Posts