AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 15110 Posts

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
Thanks for all of the information. Greatly appreciated.

I was getting ready to go pick up a 65X850C until the comments about the audio sync issues. Plenty in stock at all of the Best Buys near me and the proper price adjustment (finally) sealed the deal.

I purchased a 55X850B a few weeks ago with a steep discount and no matter what I tried, including turning off all processing (which helped some), I couldn't correct it. Unacceptable for a year old TV. The clouding was terrible as well but that was just bad luck.

Looking forward to hearing about a fix. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Honestly I would pick up the 65. The direct LED feature would seal it for me, but I can't afford the 65. Only reason I have the 55 is because Sony gave me that instead of a replacement on my 49 850B. It was nice of them but they need to fix these audio issues. It wouldn't hurt to check out the 65 because all of the instances of the audio gap are on the 55.

·
Registered
879 Posts
EDIT moved to here :

There are no 'real rec .2020 HDR' consumer sets out there (or anything near that) and maybe not 2016 either . What they have now (including Sony Make Belive HDR ) is 'something in between' recc 709 and rec.2020 (closer to rec.709) *IIRC and close to or at theater D3 color gamut not real deal HDR even though they call it that . I would look to Panasonic first for that (rec 2020 HDR ) should they choose to pursue that besides the Sony inc. CEO said *recently selling Sony TV subsiderary or a joint venture and divesting consumer electronics altogether is part of his *current business plan*..

Sony Inc. is much bigger in finance ,insurance ,re insurance ,credit and banking and moving into medical * all of Sony electronics and TV *was never more than ~ 20% of Sony Inc. *at it's peak* in recent history ( game and PS3/4 are separate from that and will stay ) ... buy them TV's while you can .:p

OFC Sony processing algorthems plus Triluminous,FALD ,brighter back lights high transmittance LCD cells etc,*can enhance * the color gamut artificially just not to HDR or even close (Sony Make Belive HDR ) currently or....( D3 when the pending firmware update rolls out ) on the models that have that capability I don't think the Triluminous X850C / 830C can do D3 so much but maybe a little in that direction ?
Sound like you are mixing things up. Color space and HDR are two different things. Rec.2020 and 709 has nothing to do with HDR.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I just exchanged my 65X850B for a 65X850C to be delivered on Thursday. I found that I really could not get used to the lighter black levels that come with an IPS panel. Wider viewing angles are not important in my setup, so I'm looking forward to better blacks with the 850C. Until I read this thread, I didn't realize that this TV also has direct back lighting. That makes me feel a bit better about having to pay more for the exchange of TVs. Those audio sync issues mentioned in previous posts have me concerned, but I'll hope for the best!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just bought the 55 inch and will setup tonight.

They had a 720p source going to the tv and it looked AWFUL (blotchy and grainy). I hope this isn't the case or an update will fix it. In any case, I don't think many of TV viewing (bluray, Netflix, Amazon prime, HBO go) are in 720 but rather 1080.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
You'd think. I was shocked after all that they don't check the software. In the review I saw online both TVs (they got a replacement) had it and mine does too. Unreal.
That's routine in product and software now ...they don't delay an otherwise functioning product ( or software e.g.Windows update and hot fixes ) for these things that can be patched in the field (once they get through presumably millions of lines of code and make the patch ):p

IOW its not Masaru Ibuka and or Akio Morita's Sony anymore ... they would never allow that to happen :cool:

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

They had a 720p source going to the tv and it looked AWFUL (blotchy and grainy). I hope this isn't the case or an update will fix it. In any case, I don't think many of TV viewing (bluray, Netflix, Amazon prime, HBO go) are in 720 but rather 1080.
720P > 2140p is an uneven upscale and requires additional pixel manipulation as opposed to an even 1080p to 2160p upscale (that when done right translates well ) not to mention 720p>2140p is a way bigger stretch or upscale (update probably can't fix it ☻it's in the basic math) to do that they would presumably have to upscale/frame buffer twice in the set *before the usual look ahead frame buffer pre fetch sequence making the TV resemble a high end PC video card somewhat specifically for 720p sources. that could maybe require as much as 4-5 GB (or more ) of total GDDR 5 V ram or something like that pushing all those pixels,and store the intermediate frame buffers (when you consider decent 1080p can fill up 1GB and 2160 has 4 times as many pixels not to mention GPU I/O cycles That dosent count 480i/p either :eek:

IOW 720p>1080p >2160p requires less uneven up scaling/pixel manipulation than direct 720p>2160p .

About the best you can do is upscale everything below 1080 to 1080i/1080p before it gets to the TV for an even upscale in the TV even then it's a huge stretch and most of the pixels have to be 'made in the set' and at any previous upscale . Just send the TV 1080i/p and likely not watch any 480i/p beyond an up scaled DVD out of an up scaling source or BD player :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I just swapped my 55x850c for the 65 now that the price has dropped. That and direct lit seemed like a great choice. I didn't have any audio sync issues with the 55.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

There are issues with the 720P and 480P sources...The TV is doing some nasty things to them and they look bad. You need to let your set-top box do the upscaling. Honestly I would like at the Samsung JU7100 range as I am not impressed with the 850C's...

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

They had a 720p source going to the tv .and it looked AWFUL
Hope they aren't planning on selling 2160p TV's like that :p

In case you haven't seen my last post don't count on any firmware update fixing that it's in the basic math and probably HDWE limitations ( see above )

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are issues with the 720P and 480P sources...The TV is doing some nasty things to them and they look bad. You need to let your set-top box do the upscaling. Honestly I would like at the Samsung JU7100 range as I am not impressed with the 850C's...
Not impressed even outside the lower quality sources?

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Posted by Y2JDMBFAN

I haven't seen x850C although I though the Samsung's I saw were decent . I would like to see better measured contrast on the 55x850C but it's not bad either have to see for myself.
Maybe take in a USB with some black pluge patterns and some others and (familiar ) high bit depth 4K images or demo loops if I want to SRSLY evaluate one with the remote in hand .... otherwise just go see and stick some one up for the remote ☻☻

OTOH 55x850B didn't impress me (probably S IPS panel ) and under store the lights un - calibrated at Best Buy out on the main floor (maybe on an ECO setting default ? or store mode ? ) and who knows what they were feeding it and all that comes with that s0 it may not have been a good impression for any number of reasons............
OTOH some people just aren't impressed by anything or say they aren't like posers or don't consider the environmental variables ,takes all kinds. U never know one way or the other sometimes U have to see for yourself and read some trusted professional reviews with hard number data and know what it all means. Hobby /enthusiasts forums and other venues prove time and time again it doesn't take any brains at all to own something as long as you got the loot to buy it :p

Logic would (or should) tell one to upscale anything below 1080i/p at the source to minimize pixel manipulation in a less an uneven below 1080i/p >2160p upscale that's a no brainier and only put 1080 to the set and preferably do or at lest try the de interlacing of 1080i outside the set to se which is better if your STB allows that most don't AFAIK .:p

OTOH considering a 1080p > 2160p is a x4 upscale why would anyone presume or expect the lower resolutions would look that good being a much bigger upscale you need *some* real pixels after all :p

Time to be getting around to dinner out here on the left coast in Malibu think I will see if we can put together some Petrossian Imperial Reserv Perscicus caviar and pan-seared branzino in organic whale blubber and Mangalitsa Pork Bacon wrapped sea scallops (cooked in a seasoned cyro treated pan ofc ) with lobster and some '98 Dom Ruinart Brut for dinner and Godiva Signature truffles after dinner with a rare Coniac and a decent Cuban all that.might be good but would set me back well over 10 grand .

OTOH there is more than enough caviar for two plus (maybe some left over for lunch tomorrow) or maybe use the smaller can of it here for $5280.00 and probably eat for less than 10 + large ...... :confused:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Holy Smokes! Who cares about 480 or 720p! W/ Verizon Fios, narry an issue!
Just because you have Fios doesn't mean all channels are 1080i. Your Fios box is probably uspscaling everything to 1080i before outputting it to your TV.

481 - 500 of 15110 Posts