AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 15102 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
They had a 720p source going to the tv and it looked AWFUL (blotchy and grainy). I hope this isn't the case or an update will fix it. In any case, I don't think many of TV viewing (bluray, Netflix, Amazon prime, HBO go) are in 720 but rather 1080.
Anyone that doesn't have a set top box for sat. or cable that can be set to output 1080i will get some ugly stuff through the built in tuner. Older SD content at 720p OTA looks horrible, while it looks OK on a 1080p display.

·
Registered
50 Posts
can anyone help me get a sony employee discount pin? I'm eyeing the 75" 850c and if I could stack the current discount with a 10% off that would be great. I've looked around but all the epp discounts have expired.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Just got finished. Such a beautiful screen. I'm just so happy right now that I don't have to deal with glare like I have on my Sammy F5500 plasma.
I'm assuming the Sammy was a glossy screen and the new 65" Sony is Semi Gloss ?

OH thanks .....good to know the 65x850C cool ...... I guess I'll have to get up outta here tomorrow ,strap on my Glock 40 and go earn some loot and maybe get one of those ............. how much was that thing ? :p

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
can anyone help me get a sony employee discount pin? I'm eyeing the 75" 850c and if I could stack the current discount with a 10% off that would be great. I've looked around but all the epp discounts have expired.
The guy above said the 65" was good ... you seen the 75"? I'm thinking it might be a Samsung panel you know whats in there ?

On the discount discount pin:
I'll see if I know anybody that knows anybody with one of those for sale or otherwise ........... minus an appropriate finders fee of course :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Whats the best way to take a pic to see flashlighting/clouding. I feel like I see some flashlighting but my iphone photos (dont have high quality camera) come out dark black and looks fine.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm assuming the Sammy was a glossy screen and the new 65" Sony is Semi Gloss ?

OH thanks .....good to know the 65x850C cool ...... I guess I'll have to get up outta here tomorrow ,strap on my Glock 40 and go earn some loot and maybe get one of those ............. how much was that thing ? :p
Yes my Samsung Plasma was glossy/reflective. The 65X850C is a nice matte finish. $2503 OTD :)

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Anyone that doesn't have a set top box for sat. or cable that can be set to output 1080i will get some ugly stuff through the built in tuner. Older SD content at 720p OTA looks horrible, while it looks OK on a 1080p display.
That's about what I would expect on 4 K set ................... good of you to let us know though :cool:

How good is 1080i OTA as opposed to a real good 1080p set and if you tried it on Sat/cable what about the compression trash and mosquito noise on the darker backgrounds and scenes ................ what about false posturing and posturization on Cable /Sat ?

I'm asking everyone about this but mainly I'm interested in 55x850C even though I don't really need a set ☻

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Yes my Samsung Plasma was glossy/reflective. The 65X850C is a nice matte finish. $2503 OTD :)
How good is 1080i OTA as opposed to a real good 1080p set and if you tried it on Sat/cable what about the compression trash and mosquito noise on the darker backgrounds and scenes ................ what about false posturing and posturization on Cable /Sat ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can see some flashlighting in these photos. Is this typical, good, bad, awful?

If these photos turn out small I'll re-upload...not sure why they were getting condensed.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Whats the best way to take a pic to see flashlighting/clouding. I feel like I see some flashlighting but my iphone photos (dont have high quality camera) come out dark black and looks fine.
Whats the best way to take a pic to see flashlighting/clouding
With a camera what else ?.......... Cell phone or handicam if that's what U have

on ur iPhone try leaving the shutter setting open longer so the CCD or CMOS in there can see the clouds

nite time of course ,lights out with the shortest shutter/exposure/time/setting you can use and get an accurate representation :cool:

up load them ..............I'll take look ,get back to you and bill you tomorrow .:p

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I can see some flashlighting in these photos. Is this typical, good, bad, awful?

If these photos turn out small I'll re-upload...not sure why they were getting condensed.
they are small I can blow them up but that's gonna cost you :p
EDIT:
SRSLY it looks pretty usual for an OK and undamaged edge lit panel not bad seen lots worse (if the pictures are an accurate representation ) the off angle thing is typical of an LCD :( look at this way.... now you know where the lamps and light guides are .:p
EDIT :
cant tell bout da focus ur camera (or the upload /rendering here ) is bit starved dog .....lots of mosquito noise and the stark contrast may be screwing with the camera or the auto focus might be chasing the rolling credits but if it's major blurry straight on a clean (still) 1080 signal I would be concerned garbage in garbage out Picture 3 looks fine .Could be a slow CMOS sensor in the camera or lousy too they don't like night time in cell phone jail

You could be seeing motion blur on rolling credits might not be anything OTOH the motion blur on X55850C is pretty pronounced at rtings might be slow sample and hold rates in the panel nothing you can do about that except buy something else it *can make ur picture soft *on anything moving *fast if it is bad enough that's what you wanna look4 along with trailing and tearing and excessive sharpness adj ( I'm sure rtings would have noted that if it was a problem they don't miss much ) maybe try action sports on a 1080i/30 channel and 720p/60? or a twitch game. or the motion blur tests and moving bar tests in AVS HD .709 And if U came from a plasma hopefully the withdrawal symptoms won't last too long .:p

·
Registered
83 Posts
they are small I can blow them up but that's gonna cost you :p

SRSLY it looks pretty usual for an OK and undamaged edge lit panel not bad seen lots worse (if the pictures are an accurate representation ) the off angle thing is typical of an LCD :(

cant tell bout da focus ur camera is bit starved dog .....lots of mosquito noise
Thanks for the input...I see the light at the corners but its only noticeable during a black screen.

·
Registered
522 Posts
1080i looks great to my eyes but with some noise during fast moving parts (ex: The Big Bang Theory transition screens with the atoms). On the 51" plasma it was more smooth. I'm still getting used to LED technology. Nothing a deal breaker so far. I'm still very happy with the purchase.

What is false posturing and posturization?

HDR off picture iphone 5s.. free advertising for sterlingbmw lol

Attachments

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
EDIT : I got HDR schooled.....:p See posts 531,.559,562 and any other posts pertaining to the subject in this thread by player002

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Usually the rule of thumb is to set the Set-top box to Native and let the TV do the upscaling...But not with this TV. Also, I have noticed a general washed out look to the picture, no matter which picture mode I have used. I will post some more thoughts as I play with the set.

Also, MAJOR banding on last week's Game of Thrones episode. Especially when Jamie and the other guy are in the rowboat. It is HORRIBLE for banding. I will try and get a picture for you guys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It thought Game of Thrones looked great and could see the upscaled quality when chromecasting it. Although there were sound hitches once every 5-10 minutes that last half a second - maybe an update will fix.

Saw banding on the youtube 4k video of Vancouver where the Moon is going across the night sky. Not good...but assuming this is the nature of LED?

I feel like the motion could be better but this is stock settings until I have more time to calibrate.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
1080i looks great to my eyes but with some noise during fast moving parts (ex: The Big Bang Theory transition screens with the atoms). On the 51" plasma it was more smooth. I'm still getting used to LED technology. Nothing a deal breaker so far. I'm still very happy with the purchase.

What is false posturing and posturization?

HDR off picture iphone 5s.. free advertising for sterlingbmw lol
hopefully the Plasma withdrawal symptoms won't last too long lots of compromise on a passive LCD image as opposed to a 'Real TV'Emisive plasma display........... I have both here(2013 Sammy 60" Plasma and a decent 50" 2013 Sony in here and everytime I walk by the plasma it reminds me while the Sony is real good and not as smooth and it ain't .....and so on ..........:p

What is false posturing "
It makes movies seem like they were filmed on a camcorder or something

and posturization?
As AVS member Paul Biglow stated here so well in 2008 probably better than I can :

"limitations in low color/brightness reproduction. It is called "posterization" or "solarization" It exists with bright colors and scenes as well but it is less noticible. The problem is that there are not enough "steps" in the color palatte to reproduce all the color from the lightest shade to the brightest shade."
Both of the above and lots of other artifacts and voids are from digital discrete time signal lossey compression aka mpeg compression and digital signal reconstruction within a limited band width and signal source and or digital re transmission (*usually service provider) and or including bit depth i.e. digital word length reduction and noise dither bit shaping and dynamic bit rate reduction .

^^^ i.e.HD Lite or OTA mpeg compression (to accommodate) digital sub channels within a restricted bandwidth i.e. digital ATSC TV channel in the US.

501 - 520 of 15102 Posts