AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 15110 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you get Netflix yet? I updated mine Sunday morning, and I don't know what it added, because it seemed the same as the previous update I had done, no obvious UI changes or performance changes.
No no netflix. But the whole UI is much snappier. Also there is a new guide when you turn on the tv for the first time. I had to reset so I walked through the new one. Good news is the lag issue is fixed!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey I am confused as to why the 2 pictures on the bottom left make the panel look so much brighter.
For "Focusing away from the TV" post, those two pics on left were just focusing on a darker portion of my camera...not trying to focus in on TV...probably shouldn't have posted those but did because it made the TV lighting change...otherwise the photos I take with my iphone (HDR off and no flash) do not show much flashlighting or clouding. I notice a small amount when there's a black screen and credits in a completely dark room but that's the only time I'll notice them...black bars look good.

My only issue (and I have to watch for it later today) is the banding I saw in the Vancouver 4k Youtube Video as the Moon went across the night sky. I'll also look at GoT episode from last Sunday to see if I see banding as another user on here mentioned.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Are there any problems with 24p content with Android TV?

·
Registered
83 Posts
So I got around to using the rtings settings. At first when I tried last night, the custom settings looked exactly the same so I thought rtings was just showing what options were available, but after a 2nd time around there were a few differences. One is in regards to the Motion settings. Their picture shows Smoothness of Min and Clearness of 4 with Motionflow Off. In order to set Smoothness & Clearness, you need to turn Motionflow to Custom. I'm not sure if the settings are used when Off, but I left it as that. When set to Custom with those settings, the screen turns much darker/gray. Another difference is that the 65" advanced color settings offers Multi point (10p) Color Gamma Adjustment. I have no idea what that does :) Going to do a little LED Calibration 101 later tonight.

The settings have smoothed out motion noise during fast movement on my cable feed. Picture looks much clearer and natural. Moving between Standard and these Custom settings show that the Standard is much vibrant/over-saturated (I'll take pictures later tonight during a paused screen). It was very noticeable this morning while I was watching CNN. The logo between the two settings were very noticeable.

So far, this unit has been a great purchase to replace my plasma.

So you're happier with the rtings calibration? I haven't tested mine yet (55") but setting to clearness 4 looks like the picture gets a lot darker.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
No no netflix. But the whole UI is much snappier. Also there is a new guide when you turn on the tv for the first time. I had to reset so I walked through the new one. Good news is the lag issue is fixed!
I have a feeling a firmware update or two is going to make big improvements to not only the interface, but even things like the display lag. Now that they have migrated to a standardized operating system, they should be able to do a lot more. Also, I am really curious to see if anybody over at xda will hack these TVs and offer custom firmware like they do with... every other Android device lol.

But a high quality, standardized smart TV platform that can run XBMC and all sorts of other apps is like a dream come true. Can't wait to get the set!

Speaking of which, does anybody know how long it usually takes to get a TV when ordered direct from Sony?

·
Registered
522 Posts
So you're happier with the rtings calibration? I haven't tested mine yet (55") but setting to clearness 4 looks like the picture gets a lot darker.
Their picture settings shows Smoothness of Min and Clearness of 4 with Motionflow Off

Off means that those settings aren't used. I think they were messing with Smoothness and Clearness and realized it wasn't the best.

You'll want to turn Motionflow Off and not set it to Custom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was in the market for the XBR-65 850b but best buy didn't have them anymore, they showed me the xbr 65 x85C, the price was about 1,300 more than what I wanted to spend. They also didn't have a display unit as they just received them in store and haven't had a chance to put one out. So I reverted to the LG as the 3d was stunning! I forgot the model, but it was the same price as the 2014 Sony. As I was getting ready to purchase the LG, the manager came and said, are you willing to take the new Sony if I gave it to you for 1k less. I came home with the x85c :( did I make the right choice, I don't know but its an awesome TV. I've only had it a few hours so the jury is still out. I haven't had the chance to test the 3D on it. I hope its better or just as good as the LG.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wonder if Sony is the only brand that no longer includes 3D glasses with their new 3D TV's. Seems kind of stupid from a marketing standpoint. I know of one person that this pisses off. ME!
You're not the only one. I was pretty disappointed but what can you do about it? Today I bought two pair of 3D glasses (TDG-BT500A) but I don't even have my tv yet! (It's still not in stores here in Belgium).

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was in the market for the XBR-65 850b but best buy didn't have them anymore, they showed me the xbr 65 x85C, the price was about 1,300 more than what I wanted to spend. They also didn't have a display unit as they just received them in store and haven't had a chance to put one out. So I reverted to the LG as the 3d was stunning! I forgot the model, but it was the same price as the 2014 Sony. As I was getting ready to purchase the LG, the manager came and said, are you willing to take the new Sony if I gave it to you for 1k less. I came home with the x85c :( did I make the right choice, I don't know but its an awesome TV. I've only had it a few hours so the jury is still out. I haven't had the chance to test the 3D on it. I hope its better or just as good as the LG.
Correct, 850B's in 65" are basically gone and a massive hunt for them has to be done. Good news is the 65x850C is $2600 at Best Buy this week, so a couple hundred more than the 850B.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I wonder if Sony is the only brand that no longer includes 3D glasses with their new 3D TV's. Seems kind of stupid from a marketing standpoint. I know of one person that this pisses off. ME!
Contrarian opinion: I'm glad they aren't built into the price as I couldn't care less about having/using them. They'd go straight to the drawer. And no, Sony is not the only one doing this. Other brands are as well. I think it's a sign that 3D, though maybe not dead, is not viewed as a feature most customers are willing to pay even the price of the included glasses extra for. I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Contrarian opinion: I'm glad they aren't built into the price as I couldn't care less about having/using them. They'd go straight to the drawer. And no, Sony is not the only one doing this. Other brands are as well. I think it's a sign that 3D, though maybe not dead, is not viewed as a feature most customers are willing to pay even the price of the included glasses extra for. I'm OK with that.
I can't argue with you opinion but it still doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint. Look at it this way. They are built into the price, they just don't want to give them to you. We're just getting screwed. Still OK with that? By the way, what other brands are also doing this?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Their picture settings shows Smoothness of Min and Clearness of 4 with Motionflow Off

Off means that those settings aren't used. I think they were messing with Smoothness and Clearness and realized it wasn't the best.

You'll want to turn Motionflow Off and not set it to Custom.
interesting - I'll have to try that...when watching basketball last night I felt like the motion needed to be smoother or that something felt off...maybe turning that feature off helps...I'll see.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I can't argue with you opinion but it still doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint. Look at it this way. They are built into the price, they just don't want to give them to you. We're just getting screwed. Still OK with that? By the way, what other brands are also doing this?
Samsung doesn't bundle glasses with their mid-range models either, does it?

·
Registered
522 Posts
interesting - I'll have to try that...when watching basketball last night I felt like the motion needed to be smoother or that something felt off...maybe turning that feature off helps...I'll see.
You would assume it would make things smoother having the names such as Motionflow, Smoothness, and Clearness lol. I really wish Sony would put documentation on what each setting means/does. I will confirm that when Motionflow is not off and set to Custom to allow Smoothness & Clearness, that the screen does darken by a good amount. I haven't watched any sports on the television so I can't say. Tomorrow though, go Warriors :D

·
Registered
879 Posts
Whoa Amigo That may be true in photography not so simple with TV the implementation and the usual TV limitations are often different .

U sure I.. thought HDR was an optional component of rec 2020 and just (more likely pending ) or added in to the itu rec . 2020 ? U sure about the other stuff and not conflating that i.e. color gamut/color space with Chroma sub sampling that's what it sounds like to me ? how you think recc 2020 + HDR broadcast and IPTV standards happen U think they come out of thin air?

...... you know what the itu is right ?

You know how an LCD panel cell works ? Think thin film transistors to start and add in spatial and temporal dithering and throw in high frame rate control, maybe some pixel tuning while you are at it those are 5 starting points that don't include the lights or the LVDS algorithms and digital discrete time signals . .:p

ofc UHDTV HDR includes additional contrast and brightness (i.e. luminence and dynamic range of same )and color gamut/color space and YbCbr 4:4:4 chroma sampling, additional bit depth[/U] also all i.e. all components of HDR and with color space and YbCbr 4:4:4 chroma sampling and bit depth all specifically specified ) to itu rec.2020 and any pending addendums to same also that's the whole idea....and reqired for itu UHD HDR broadcast and digital transmission standards which usually carry over to consumer devices besides television receivers .

You do know HDR requires 11 Bit not 10 right ? (they just round it off) you know how they do that with a 10 bit +high frc panel it's called high speed temporal dithering

You know no consumer TV can do full in HDR probably not in 2016 also but some fake it or can do D3 or both ...... you know what D3 is ?

As HDR applies specifically to to itu standards compliant and *pending standards compliant2160p television You can have UHDTV without HDR but you cant have full HDR without rec 2020 compliance *as it applies to compliant standard and *pending standards compliant television and digital transmission standards * which includes rec2020 bit depth color space and chroma sub sampling etc. (see above )

Just goes to show that there is more to standards and *pending standards compliant UHD ..HDR than meets the eye and color space is integral to HDR *as it apples to UHDTV* and you don't have to know everything ....or the subject to post on a forum .:p
Color space is defined in e.g. Rec.2020 and DCI specifications.

HDR is defined in e.g. CEA-861.3 , ST 2084:2014 and Dolby Vision.

So they are completely different things.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I agree with you a thousand per cent, and that's coming from someone who loves 3D. Why should customers have to pay up to $100 extra for two pairs of active-shutter glasses when they have no interest in it? Sony has to make some kind of profit on their models, and that extra hundred dollar charge could impact sales.

As for myself, I paid the extra money for the glasses, and just passed it off as a feature I'd be willing to spend a little more money for. However, as for 3D's decline in popularity at least in America, it seems that every time I look at movie ads there's a new 3D feature soon to arrive, and it will go straight to 3D Blu-ray, so I think its future as a niche entertainment product is fairly secure for the time being. The only thing I'm a little unhappy with is that studios apparently are no longer remaking sci-fi and adventure catalog titles in 3D. But there are still Nature titles, and I've just bought the David Attenborough disc set, which is region-free, and I hear it's fantastic.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
HDR and colour space are 2 different things. To get full rec 2020 on HDR a 10 bit panel can do this with Hi-frc which the samsung panels are.REC 2020 will either B 2016/2017 as long as you have a 10 bit panel your set will be able to do all future standards.Certain Company go further and offer a yearly add on accessory to help adhere to new standards.

For Native rec 2020 a minimal panel depth of 12 bits is needed(will have HI-frc) this will have no dithering and displays the colors natively.A 10 bit panel with HI-frc will display the colours by way of dithering but the method is so good the human eye cannot see the difference.

The agreed upon basic standard for HDR is SMPTE which is required on all 4k disks the other companies with HDR can have there Meta data added too when they decide.

SMTPE will most likely become the standard especially with all the major companies and movie studios backing it. Dolby digital HDR @ 10,000 Nits will blind people or burn out their led's I can't see this as a standard more as an option. Imagine 10,000 nits on a OLED it would melt the screen lol..

Samsung,Sony,Panasonic are just a few companies in the UHD alliance to many big companies and this has been set for 4k standards so as long as you can do hdr you will be fine as the all come with 10 bit panels as needed by HDR. HDR looks so dazling so vibrant this really is a big step and when people see this it will change everything . Games will be in HDR, TV shows,Movies it will be like the death of the tube tv. The birth of HDR is no joke . There will be some solutions for those who do not have HDR display#psuedo

So much tech is coming this fall on all fronts from gaming hardware to a brand new gaming API. 4k is going to blow up this year lots of people will make the jump . Those that want the best and are worried about HDR or are being scared of saying that this is not the standard or won't play future standard. I say you are buying HDR based of SMPTE standards not a non released dolby vision prototype that we know very little about. Based on this you are set and will be able to always display HDR and when rec 2020 comes out your 10 bit panel with HI-FRC will be able to display it and if the tv is a certain companies you can upgrade your ports/hardware/video processors/cpu ensuring more that you can play latest standards. Bottom line 4K HDR standard is SMPTE which all sets sold in 2015 with hdr can display . When rec 2020 is supported is few years off and adoption rate will be slow seeing how movies are filmed in DCI P3 not rec 2020 .

There is always something better around the corner every year we know the next model will have better features rinse repeat the next year same thing. This is a good time to jump the tech is stable and a standard has been put in place for UHD . Hey truth be told 2016 would be a better year wait probably 2018 think thats when the 6k hits the market no no no no 2020 cause 8 k double HDR come out then :p
Thanks for the clarification it seems you have done your homework and know how LCD Cells work also please excuse my wrong assumptions and accept my humble apologies :confused::confused:

Seems like a lot of market forces and yet undetermined standards (or standards not familiar to *me* ) are muddying the water for
*some * of us like *me* for instance maybe *I*should do some homework after all :p............ I will edit my prior post accordingly ☻☻

Just goes to show that there is more to standards and *pending standards compliant UHD ..HDR than meets the eye *as it apples to UHDTV* and you don't have to know everything ....or the subject to post on a forum .AND THAT APPARENTLY INCLUDES ME ON THIS SUBJECT :confused::p

541 - 560 of 15110 Posts