AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 15102 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I can't argue with you opinion but it still doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint. Look at it this way. They are built into the price, they just don't want to give them to you. We're just getting screwed. Still OK with that? By the way, what other brands are also doing this?
I'm fine with it. The fact of the matter is that 3D is a dud and they know it. They like putting "3D" on the box, but they sell more TVs by lowering the price a bit and not including glasses, as most people will never use the feature. Or they'll use it a few times and then never again.

Yes, I know there are certain movies that are great in 3D and all that, but the facts are the facts. Consumers never asked or pushed for 3D, it was just a technology they added a little while back to try to sell more TVs and movies. It was never popular, and it's less popular today than ever. It was the 2010 equivalent of curved screens.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So you're happier with the rtings calibration? I haven't tested mine yet (55") but setting to clearness 4 looks like the picture gets a lot darker.
I started with rtings cal. and set the clearness to 1 and the other setting there to 1. I agree setting to 4 made it too dark.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I'm fine with it. The fact of the matter is that 3D is a dud and they know it. They like putting "3D" on the box, but they sell more TVs by lowering the price a bit and not including glasses, as most people will never use the feature. Or they'll use it a few times and then never again.

Yes, I know there are certain movies that are great in 3D and all that, but the facts are the facts. Consumers never asked or pushed for 3D, it was just a technology they added a little while back to try to sell more TVs and movies. It was never popular, and it's less popular today than ever. It was the 2010 equivalent of curved screens.
You mention "Facts" three times. The "Fact" is, they still produce 3d blu-ray players, they still release 3d blu-rays, they still manufacture 3d TV's. I don't know if it is less popular today but to say it was never popular is ridiculous. Most of the 3d movies now in theaters (there are several with many more scheduled) will be released in 3d blu-ray. You mention that consumers never asked for it? Consumers never asked for 4K. Or edge lit, or FALD, or even LED lighting, or OLED, or smart features. We have never known what we want, they tell us what we want/need.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Yes my Samsung Plasma was glossy/reflective. The 65X850C is a nice matte finish. $2503 OTD :)
Glad the The 65X850C is working out well 4U ..... watch out for PDP withdraw though .... you never know about those things until it's too late !:eek:

Mine too! good picture though ! I don't have it facing a widow but intentionally in a corner in a room with morning sun ( as luck woud have it)
otherwise I might be seeing major reflections the potential as you know certainly exists *used to drive me crazy on an Sony Wega FD HD Trinitron
Boat anchor in my other house B4 I bought this one...... Other house had big 60" vert. and wide after noon sun facing to TV windows and wooden 2.5" blinds :mad:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
You would assume it would make things smoother having the names such as Motionflow, Smoothness, and Clearness lol. I really wish Sony would put documentation on what each setting means/does. I will confirm that when Motionflow is not off and set to Custom to allow Smoothness & Clearness, that the screen does darken by a good amount. I haven't watched any sports on the television so I can't say. Tomorrow though, go Warriors :D
Some of the info at the following link doesn't necessarily apply to your model, but does generally describe Motionflow settings.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1426285-sony-motionflow-cinemotion.html

Note: Any setting that uses a scanning (or blinking) back light (or frame blinking) will alter the perceived brightness.
The "Clear" setting is advertized by Sony not to affect the brightness, but apparently does.

[Motionflow]
[Smooth]: Provides smoother picture movement; especially effective for
film-based content.
[Standard]: Provides smoother picture movement for standard use.
[Clear]: Reduces motion blur while maintaining brightness for highspeed
picture content.
[True Cinema]: Images, such as a movie created in 24 frames per
second, are reproduced at the original framerate.
[Off]: Use this setting if [Smooth], [Standard], [Clear] or [True Cinema]
results in a distorted picture.
(Depending on the picture content, you may not see the effect visually
even if you have changed the settings.)

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
OMFG you type a lot bro... lol......but thanks for the compliment on my video. The video title clearly says 75X50C, lol... I though tit looked very nice and the picture quality was nice and bright and the colors were amazing. I do not like to bright of a screen as it bothers my eyes and I love the real natural colors as you can see in the video. My impression of the 75X850C was that it is very beautiful with accurate colors from what I can see. Motionflow was very nice but I was watching loops so I cant really say. I would need to see a football game on the screen. They play these slow moving loops that you cant tell anything. They need to change their loops, as the guy said in the video that this is the same loop for 2 years. I would need to bring the TV home and see for myself. I feel every panel maybe slight different and tested individually. IMO. Also, there are many hotties in NYC but you are not going to see a lot in the 100 feet I recorded. :rolleyes:

P.S. Stop typing essays... :eek:
Given the choice (like you) I like natural and accurate now that I've learned and done calibration and have a rudimentery understanding of it and the reasons for it ( I used to be a Torch mode aficionado (as if you could call it that ):eek:

Good to know the 75 is decent what panel you think is in there........ Sammy ? AUO? CMO? (other) ?

Also, there are many hotties in NYC but you are not going to see a lot in the 100 feet I recorded. :rolleyes:
Holding out on us eh :(

P.S. Stop typing essays... :eek:
OK I'll just break them up into consecutive posts :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anyone with the 55" X850C. Check out this video and at 4:40 as the moon cross the sky see if you can see any major banding. Would like to know.

Video Title: Vancouver City 2 Time Lapse in 4K Ultra HD

Link:

If you search "4k city" on Youtube app it should come up.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I was in the market for the XBR-65 850b but best buy didn't have them anymore, they showed me the xbr 65 x85C, the price was about 1,300 more than what I wanted to spend. They also didn't have a display unit as they just received them in store and haven't had a chance to put one out. So I reverted to the LG as the 3d was stunning! I forgot the model, but it was the same price as the 2014 Sony. As I was getting ready to purchase the LG, the manager came and said, are you willing to take the new Sony if I gave it to you for 1k less. I came home with the x85c :( did I make the right choice, I don't know but its an awesome TV. I've only had it a few hours so the jury is still out. I haven't had the chance to test the 3D on it. I hope its better or just as good as the LG.
When recently I saw a 2015 65" LG 9xxx or somehing like that 4K LCD at BB magnolia ............. it wasn't leaving anything on the table to the X850B or X900B and much else in there it was*that* good and maybe what you saw it wasn't cheap *that day either and did not look like it or play like it ! :)

To be honest of those two sets XBR-65 850b or 65X850B ^^ or that ^^ LG ☻♥☺ I would instantly lean to the LG *I saw* and did when I was there it drew me in to the picture and I wouldn't mind one again not cheap *that day!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Some of the info at the following link doesn't necessarily apply to your model, but does generally describe Motionflow settings.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1426285-sony-motionflow-cinemotion.html

Note: Any setting that uses a scanning (or blinking) back light (or frame blinking) will alter the perceived brightness.
The "Clear" setting is advertized by Sony not to affect the brightness, but apparently does.

[Motionflow]
[Smooth]: Provides smoother picture movement; especially effective for
film-based content.
[Standard]: Provides smoother picture movement for standard use.
[Clear]: Reduces motion blur while maintaining brightness for highspeed
picture content.
[True Cinema]: Images, such as a movie created in 24 frames per
second, are reproduced at the original framerate.
[Off]: Use this setting if [Smooth], [Standard], [Clear] or [True Cinema]
results in a distorted picture.
(Depending on the picture content, you may not see the effect visually
even if you have changed the settings.)
Very useful. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You mention "Facts" three times. The "Fact" is, they still produce 3d blu-ray players, they still release 3d blu-rays, they still manufacture 3d TV's. I don't know if it is less popular today but to say it was never popular is ridiculous. Most of the 3d movies now in theaters (there are several with many more scheduled) will be released in 3d blu-ray. You mention that consumers never asked for it? Consumers never asked for 4K. Or edge lit, or FALD, or even LED lighting, or OLED, or smart features. We have never known what we want, they tell us what we want/need.
You are right nobody asked for those other things, but I wasn't talking about those other things. 3D is flat-out a niche technology that a minority of people enjoy and, unlike other things like HD or 4K, it isn't growing in popularity, it's dying. Vizio dropped support entirely, several other big dogs don't even bother including glasses... That's all I'm saying. Don't take it personally, it just is what it is. It'll gain traction again when glassless 3D comes out, though I imagine even then it will be somewhat of a fad.

EDIT: I apologize for derailing the thread a little here. I'm not going to continue this discussion, it's not fair to others.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
You are right nobody asked for those other things, but I wasn't talking about those other things. 3D is flat-out a niche technology that a minority of people enjoy and, unlike other things like HD or 4K, it isn't growing in popularity, it's dying. Vizio dropped support entirely, several other big dogs don't even bother including glasses... That's all I'm saying. Don't take it personally, it just is what it is.
Not personally. All I asked was if anybody but Sony has stopped including 3D glasses with their 3D TV's. I don't pay much attention to Sammy or LG or Sharp etc. What other Big Dogs are you referring to? I checked and the new Panasonic 65AX900U comes with 2 pair of Passive 3D glasses. Are all of the LG OLED's 3D?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Not personally. All I asked was if anybody but Sony has stopped including 3D glasses with their 3D TV's. I don't pay much attention to Sammy or LG or Sharp etc. What other Big Dogs are you referring to? I checked and the new Panasonic 65AX900U comes with 2 pair of Passive 3D glasses. Are all of the LG OLED's 3D?
Panasonic has dropped the 3D glasses across their US line.
And the hard-cold truth about it is that Vizio sells more TVs than everybody else, and they've flat-out removed the option for 3D from their entire line.

I was at Best Buy the other day and the 65" OLED was set up with Despicable Me in 3D. It looked quite nice actually but, again, it's just one of those features that's there hiding in the background and not all that many people pay attention to it. The only way 3D really gains any ground is if/when it becomes available via mainstream means in gaming. 3D gaming on PCs is phenomenal, but that's not exactly mainstream.

To bring this back around to the 850 series (because I promised not to continue the derailment of this thread above, lol), all I'll say is that if they had included glasses I probably would have tried a 3D movie here or there. But I also don't care enough to go out and buy any. All in all, I'd rather save $100 or so on the TV than get a couple pair of active 3D glasses that will collect dust.

·
Registered
878 Posts
In this review of the X850C, I noticed this:

The review says: "The bezel is thin, although the pixels on the top edge don't start right where the bezel ends."

So I just wonder if that really is true? And is it something that can be changed by a setting (e.g. "overscan mode" or similar)?

Also, is it something that you notice or are annoyed by when watching?

Just wondering, since I don't think I've seen anything similar on other TVs before.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
According to the Panasonic model I mentioned earlier review in the current issue (June) of Sound and Vision Magazine two pair of Passive 3d glasses are included. They've been wrong before.

·
Registered
839 Posts
According to the Panasonic model I mentioned earlier review in the current issue (June) of Sound and Vision Magazine two pair of Passive 3d glasses are included. They've been wrong before.
I should have specified 2015 models. The AX900 is, in the US, a very limited distribution oddball. Oh, and Samsung has either eliminated or reduced to one the quantity supplied across their 2015 range. Last year their high end sets came with 4 pair. Trend? Perhaps.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
In this review of the X850C, I noticed this:

The review says: "The bezel is thin, although the pixels on the top edge don't start right where the bezel ends."

So I just wonder if that really is true? And is it something that can be changed by a setting (e.g. "overscan mode" or similar)?

Also, is it something that you notice or are annoyed by when watching?

Just wondering, since I don't think I've seen anything similar on other TVs before.
I am not sure, but I will just mention that when you read the official specs it says "65" (64.5") -- I wonder if the adjusted number is accounting forthat space around the pixels?

·
Registered
2 Posts
When recently I saw a 2015 65" LG 9xxx or somehing like that 4K LCD at BB magnolia ............. it wasn't leaving anything on the table to the X850B or X900B and much else in there it was*that* good and maybe what you saw it wasn't cheap *that day either and did not look like it or play like it ! :)

To be honest of those two sets XBR-65 850b or 65X850B ^^ or that ^^ LG ☻♥☺ I would instantly lean to the LG *I saw* and did when I was there it drew me in to the picture and I wouldn't mind one again not cheap *that day!
I'm going to try out this TV for a week and see how it goes, I will probably get the LG. I got to try out the 3d though. I just need to get some glasses. I have active glasses.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, despite a few reservations, I went down to BB and walked out with a receipt for a xbr65x850c 😃 They had received their first shipment of two of them today. I went and looked at the JU7100 and didn't get a warm fuzzy. I asked about the XBR and mentioned Fry's deal for $2498 and no sales tax. Long story short, I paid $2499 OTD since the sales associate was having issues getting the numbers to come out perfectly. I told him to keep the $1, lol. It's being delivered and set up on Friday! This is replacing an old 50" Toshiba 720p plasma that has horrible pq. Happy with the deal and hope it's a keeper. If not, I'll be happy I bought locally!

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I am not sure, but I will just mention that when you read the official specs it says "65" (64.5") -- I wonder if the adjusted number is accounting forthat space around the pixels?
I am not sure, but I will just mention that when you read the official specs it says "65" (64.5")
Who cares ?

My 2013 Sony is exactly like that to a T , border is probably 3/16 ~ you don't notice at all unless you R OCD or git ur face up off in it :eek:

better than old phatt bezels that covered the edge of the pixel rows instead of uncovered coverd looks cleaner l . Panels always had edge of pixel rows :p

·
Registered
315 Posts
Anyone with the 55" X850C. Check out this video and at 4:40 as the moon cross the sky see if you can see any major banding. Would like to know.

Video Title: Vancouver City 2 Time Lapse in 4K Ultra HD

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI1N7oelEW0

If you search "4k city" on Youtube app it should come up.

It might show up on a 55" or 65" 4k Sony 850c screen, but on my 23" computer screen I played it with full picture mode at 4k resolution and I didn't notice any problems. If there were any they were so small that I probably wouldn't have paid attention to them anyway.

561 - 580 of 15102 Posts