AVS Forum banner

7781 - 7800 of 15251 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Damn. Getting a replacement for my x850c because of the dead pixel and reading this makes me worried.
Me too.

I'm waiting for BB stores to get new 65 inch stock after Christmas rush. Looks like new stock arrives 1/14.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm currently on my second x850c, but I'm still having problems. The first model I had was clouding issues.

This second unit freezes up sometimes and goes to an all black screen before having to hard reset. It also started making some weird popping noise in the back on Christmas day. I have no clue what that was all about. It even did it with the tv turned off. It only did it that one day, but still I was very worried about what that was all about. FWIW I bought mine in November and they ordered me a replacement in November.

I contacted Amazon earlier and just told them I wanted a refund and they're giving it to me. I'm just gonna take my chances on the x850d when they release it. Hopefully most of the problems are ironed out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I purchased the 55" 850C and the 49" 830C a few weeks ago. The 850C is the clear winner in picture quality with the triluminous display using the VA panel. The 830C has terrible blacks and contrast with the IPS panel. I have light bleed in the corners as well.

If anyone is trying to decide between these two models, pay the extra money for the 850C. It's worth every penny!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is there something I can run for the banding test and the cloudy test while I have my replacement TV set up so I can just refuse shipment if necessary?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Almost bought one...

I was on the edge of buying the XBR-75X850C from BB for $3,500 and no tax, but after reading through this forum am heavily leaning towards holding off. The issues seems to be fairly wide spread, plus I feel like I am paying a lot for tv without local dimming. That, combined with the release of 2016 model lines has me thinking that it would make more sense to hold off until spring when the next round of comes out. I feel like I could get a better TV in April for about the same amount of money. Can anyone provide an opinion?

·
UHD Addict
38,366 Posts
I was on the edge of buying the XBR-75X850C from BB for $3,500 and no tax, but after reading through this forum am heavily leaning towards holding off. The issues seems to be fairly wide spread, plus I feel like I am paying a lot for tv without local dimming. That, combined with the release of 2016 model lines has me thinking that it would make more sense to hold off until spring when the next round of comes out. I feel like I could get a better TV in April for about the same amount of money. Can anyone provide an opinion?
You probably can but there probably won't be as much of a discount on the new sets initially. Personally I'm glad i got my 65" 850C in November for $1800. It's a good all around performer. That allowed me to jump into the 4K game sooner than I expected plus also HDR features and 3D capability.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So is anyone returning their 850C for an XBR-X850D model? I see it will have an 85" version.
Not sure about that. Even the PR image they have on Sony's product page has visible vertical banding :p

http://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...CAT-TV-CAT-EN_GL-2015-11-M02-HOTNEW-XBR-X850D

I jest of course but only mildly. As an update on my banding issues, my first set had persistent banding. BB guys saw it during the day when they came back couple weeks later. My second had same amount when they installed it. Everybody had an "uh-oh" moment. However bands seem to have diffused over time with this one. I too now can only see them at night. So with this second set I'm upgraded to "Nocturnal Banding". Still irritating because with two kids I'm a nocturnal gamer. If I want to add dead pixels to what my wife calls "It's all in your head"-defect-list before I call Sony, what would be the best way to hunt them? Magnifying glass and a white background? Or is there an app for that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys,
I must start with saying that this thread is excellent, and I have allready learned a lot by browsing it while I set up my new 55X850C TV.
I have one question though, and that is why I can't choose any setting for full pixel for input HDMI4/ARC? And how I might fix it. I use Kodi on my PC, using output from my Nvidia card on [email protected] signal. My AVR (Sony STR DN1050) is set to 4k as well so my TV displays 3840 x 2160 it says. But when I go to display screen setting on the TV it says that it's in auto and the display area is set to +1 instead of full pixel. When I try and change auto to off it says that it isn't allowed with this signal. Is it already displaying everything as it should?

Sorry if this is described somewhere in the thread (I've also read through the Excel faq and there was something about 2160p60 signal this wasn't allowed). Anyone that can confirm that and if so should I perhaps change something? Or is everything setup as it should for best viewing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
New 55850C owner here. A couple of questions.

I am used to viewing on my 60ST50 Plasma, and never really really realized how much better the blacks were on plasmas. I have never had a decent LCD to compare it to. While watching content like Red Oaks on Amazon, the nighttime scenes look pretty bad. The sky is grey, everything is just not close to black. Is this just the way it is? Ive played with some of the recommended settings on here and haven't fallen in love with anything yet.

Secondly, and I really have only noticed this on Amazon w/ HDR content, but it seem to be auto adjusting the brightness based on what is on the screen at the time. Is this normal? Can I turn it off? A great example is if it is a nighttime scene, and I change the volume, merely having the Volume UI bar show up will cause the upper portion of the screen to get noticeably brighter. It is distracting and makes it look pretty crappy.

Thanks for any input, I am sure I will have a ton more questions.

Also, is there a good guide on the differences of all the picture modes? Standard vs Custom vs Cinema. Are they all essentially the same just with different presets? Or will identical settings on each mode result in a different picture?

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts

I am used to viewing on my 60ST50 Plasma, and never really really realized how much better the blacks were on plasmas. I have never had a decent LCD to compare it to. While watching content like Red Oaks on Amazon, the nighttime scenes look pretty bad. The sky is grey, everything is just not close to black. Is this just the way it is? Ive played with some of the recommended settings on here and haven't fallen in love with anything yet.

Secondly, and I really have only noticed this on Amazon w/ HDR content, but it seem to be auto adjusting the brightness based on what is on the screen at the time. Is this normal? Can I turn it off? A great example is if it is a nighttime scene, and I change the volume, merely having the Volume UI bar show up will cause the upper portion of the screen to get noticeably brighter. It is distracting and makes it look pretty crappy.

Also, is there a good guide on the differences of all the picture modes? Standard vs Custom vs Cinema. Are they all essentially the same just with different presets? Or will identical settings on each mode result in a different picture?

Thanks!
That is the Adv. Contrast Enhancer, turn it off and it will go away....keep in mind that for HDR content you'll need to actually go to picture mode: hdr to do this change...youll begin noticing it too on other modes if you don't turn it off for those as well

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try and ser Adv. Contrast Enhancer to Off in pikturen setting for that input. That should solve the issue.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I was at BB today and that set that cost $3500 was $2999 a month ago. They raised prices due to people buying tvs for Christmas and they won't be lowering prices til after the SuperBowl.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yea change the channel :D

SRSLY :

Advanced settings >Clarity > turn the sharpness to maybe no more than 50 and no less than 49 (helps with jaggies depending if it was too high and things are soft if it's too low )

Try reality creation [manual ] and resolution at 75 or more (that helps with SD interlaced or other low res ) or 20 if that didn't help or if you are watching good digital TV etc.
75 can be cool on some DVD also

maybe the digital and random noise at med or [off]

Motion > Motion flow Custom > Smoothness 2 > Clearness> Minimum >Cine motion high or off .

OTA or cable /sat should default to proper pixel size and screen ratio wide modes

If this doesent help ............. change the channel
Thanks! Much appreciated and trust me i would change the channel if i could - my significant other insists on watching SD broadcast TV....

·
Registered
757 Posts
Not sure about that. Even the PR image they have on Sony's product page has visible vertical banding :p

http://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...CAT-TV-CAT-EN_GL-2015-11-M02-HOTNEW-XBR-X850D

I jest of course but only mildly. As an update on my banding issues, my first set had persistent banding. BB guys saw it during the day when they came back couple weeks later. My second had same amount when they installed it. Everybody had an "uh-oh" moment. However bands seem to have diffused over time with this one. I too now can only see them at night. So with this second set I'm upgraded to "Nocturnal Banding". Still irritating because with two kids I'm a nocturnal gamer. If I want to add dead pixels to what my wife calls "It's all in your head"-defect-list before I call Sony, what would be the best way to hunt them? Magnifying glass and a white background? Or is there an app for that?

WOW!!! That blew my mind! Its obvious too! They should of photo shopped it.

LCD Quality improvement in 2016 ZERO!

FYI Sony updated most of there 4K TV with the new 4K HDR Badge.... except the 850C!

Reactions: virtualrain

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

That's probably lighting/shadowing from the windows on the left. lines up about right.

nice looking stand though

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's probably lighting/shadowing from the windows on the left. lines up about right.

nice looking stand though
Yep. What's funny is that I don't think that screen is "on-location" and someone most probably spend time to create those lines in photoshop to match the windows on the left. It's just a touchy subject. At least the bands look soft and most probably have higher dynamic range :)

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
If I want to add dead pixels to what my wife calls "It's all in your head"-defect-list before I call Sony, what would be the best way to hunt them? Magnifying glass and a white background? Or is there an app for that?
Just love that! :) Best list name ever.

Main difference w/the 2016 75" models could be Sony possibly having more time w/their manufacturers and distribution centers to iron out any issues that may be coming from their manuf. line or parts suppliers. Other than that, pretty much will be Android (same) on both the C and D models and features appear to be similar from what I've heard so far. Unlikely Sony will feel the need to make a bunch of changes on the 850 line. You will likely face premium prices on the 2016 850D models when they come out, but the 2015 models should fall in price (as much as they are available).

I am used to viewing on my 60ST50 Plasma, and never really really realized how much better the blacks were on plasmas. I have never had a decent LCD to compare it to. While watching content like Red Oaks on Amazon, the nighttime scenes look pretty bad. The sky is grey, everything is just not close to black. Is this just the way it is? Ive played with some of the recommended settings on here and haven't fallen in love with anything yet. [/b]
IPS panels are not the best for blacks...you'd want a VA panel for best results there. Limitation of the technology.

Secondly, and I really have only noticed this on Amazon w/ HDR content, but it seem to be auto adjusting the brightness based on what is on the screen at the time. Is this normal? Can I turn it off? A great example is if it is a nighttime scene, and I change the volume, merely having the Volume UI bar show up will cause the upper portion of the screen to get noticeably brighter. It is distracting and makes it look pretty crappy. [/b]
I've also seen this, I believe, when using captions - each time the captions appear and disappear, the screen brightness can change. Someone already noted turning advanced contrast enhancer.

I assume you've seen the FAQ in my sig...

Thanks!
Not that I'm aware of, and it would be nice to understand if the Picture modes are more than just simple collections of picture settings.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Man thats to bad i going for my third one tomorrow the first from bb November build had that issue to half of screen brighter then the other on the good side it had no visible banding but the fact the screen had a split down the middle drove me crazy the second one from Costco July build had better uniformity no split in the middle but noticibly more banding .. I'm going for a third and last one tomorrow at a different Costco to see if they might have a better build then the 2nd one so tomorrow there will be 3 65x850cs in my condo lol I'm returning the bb one this weekend so it will be between the 2 Costco versions worse case scenario i might have to live with some banding but the uniformity will be good Costco also offers a 90 day refund policy and a 5 year warranty for 99$ so if I really get annoyed by these issue I might just get a refund down the road or complain to Costco (Warranty) and Sony Might give me a better and newer model in the future
So all this to say i hope that tomorrow will be a good day .. I'll keep you posted !!
Damn. Getting a replacement for my x850c because of the dead pixel and reading this makes me worried.
Just got back from Costco ..opened the box and this time it's an October build will be setting it up later ... One thing for sure if all is good and I have only one dead or stuck pixel like you'res I'm gonna keep it its not a big deal most sets have this and most people don't even notice ...

My bad the flap shows an October date but the panel has a November build this is the 2nd Costco one I got and finally this one is a keeper man oh man after getting 3 sets 2 from different Costco locations and 1 from BB I finally found one that I'm satisfied with its not 100% perfect but compared to the past 2 sets this one is great zero banding no split in the middle of the screen very minor clouding and no edge bleed and it's the 2nd November build i got I was a little worried the first one had a very apparent split in the middle one side was darker then the other but this one is a different story im glad I signed on this forum it's made me enjoy and insure that my investment was well worth it !! And now it's time to return my 2 other 65s this weekend and I hope I'll be good for a wile !! I'll keep everyone up to date if something changes !! Thanks to all !!!

·
Registered
44 Posts

Thanks!
You did opt for 55" which is edge lit. If you want deeper blacks you could upgrade to the 65" or larger which are backlit. Check my post as posted pics of some dark scene in which you even see where tv ends and pics start in dark environment.

I have a quick question about plex app ? So I have local quality set to original and the remote quality is auto set at 1.5 480 ? Should I change these I'm stream from my laptop. Also should or are there setting I should Change on netflex tv app ? I also noticed if you're on YouTube and go to 4k content.. I went to quality settings under 4k video and I had to manually change 2160. Maybe some don't realize? Setting to auto does nothing next time viewing.

One last thing when it comes to overscan on apps. If you in any of the apps and go to settings then screen settings you can see that it says wide zoom, normal ect. Just before input changes and then those setting appear in there place

7781 - 7800 of 15251 Posts