AVS Forum banner

14981 - 15000 of 15110 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Playing around with "Smart YouTube TV" app. It runs like a dog on our TV, but you can select the codec used when playing YouTube videos. In the Pro modes, if you select an AVC format instead of VP9, our TVs automatically drop into 3D mode.
It's not a great answer, but it works.

The Sony Video App still works for 3D, so if you have a YouTube downloader...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Playing around with "Smart YouTube TV" app. It runs like a dog on our TV, but you can select the codec used when playing YouTube videos. In the Pro modes, if you select an AVC format instead of VP9, our TVs automatically drop into 3D mode.
It's not a great answer, but it works.

The Sony Video App still works for 3D, so if you have a YouTube downloader...
I thought it was me with the YouTube TV running like garbage. I'm going to invest in a FireStick 4k instead.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
No, that really is just you. The standard youtube app is snappy and runs fine on my Sony. It's the custom app that's really slow.
You might want to try long pressing OK and closing apps. Supposedly they aren't running, but it seems to make a difference. Also, long press power to reboot your TV.
These used to crash and reboot frequently, but the latest firmware is so stable you can go months without a reboot.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
No, that really is just you. The standard youtube app is snappy and runs fine on my Sony. It's the custom app that's really slow.
You might want to try long pressing OK and closing apps. Supposedly they aren't running, but it seems to make a difference. Also, long press power to reboot your TV.
These used to crash and reboot frequently, but the latest firmware is so stable you can go months without a reboot.
I'm not talking about regular YouTube. I'm talking about the YouTube TV app. It's very laggy compared to using it on my Shield.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I just got rid of Comcast cable, so I'm using my Sony strictly for streaming apps. Is there a way to make the Home screen the default screen when I turn the TV on each time?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I just got rid of Comcast cable, so I'm using my Sony strictly for streaming apps. Is there a way to make the Home screen the default screen when I turn the TV on each time?

I kind of like to know also, but would like mine to default to hdmi 4. My stuff runs through my soundbar then to hdmi 4. I dug through the setting but didn't find anything.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've tried both of those. I will be trying to plug in the LAN cable when I get home to see if it will complete the update, may have had something to do with the update disabling wifi halfway through the Update.

Found out today that this is a Known Issue. Sony actually Issued an Extended Warranty through 12/2020 for certain TV's that this has affected, and should be repairing main boards free of charge. I will be pursuing this route if I have no success with the Lan cable.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-65x900c/articles/00235875

Here is a discussion about the Issue.
https://ap.community.sony.com/s/question/0D50B00005JLaRESA1/when-is-sony-going-to-issue-a-recall-for-these-xbr-bravia-bad-android-tvs?language=en_US

Good News! A tech came out today and replaced the main board (backordered since April 23rd) on my 55x850C, no charge to me. After software update via USB and programming in the serial and model#, it is working like a Champ again!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
So I've been working on trying to improve media playback on my Sony the past couple days, and made a couple interesting discoveries.

First, 3D. As I said above, for 3D YouTube, you have to run Smart YouTube TV (a custom app that is pretty slow) in Pro mode forcing AVC codec (instead of VP9) OR (do something we won't talk about) and play the videos locally.

Now, I'm still digging into this, but it IS possible to have 3D videos outside of Sony's app if there is a 3D flag. I have some 3D that will play under Kodi and others that won't. I will find out why if it kills me.

Second, I found a great fix if you are using a multi channel sound system.
Under Kodi, which I'm hoping most of you are using:
First make sure you didn't enable 'Sync Playback to Display' that option disables audio passthrough.
Go to System/Settings/System/Audio.
Change the 'Number of Channels' to 2.0. I know this doesn't make sense, just do it.
Farther down the page, check 'Allow Passthrough'.
Then select, Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver.
Finally, the most important part, which only appeared BECAUSE you set the number of channels to 2: select 'Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding'.

Kodi has the least well named settings I've ever seen.

Now, all those DTS, DTS-HD MA, TrueHD, and AAC multi channel tracks will get re-encoded to multichannel DD and passed through to your sound system. No more stereo playback.

Sony's App is garbage at transcoding AAC. It creates warbley garbage. Kodi does a brilliant job.

The only downside is that Sony's App will passthrough DTS and the core of DTS-HD MA. Kodi always re-encodes. SUPPOSEDLY, there is a way to enable DTS Passthrough, but I can't make the option appear.

I'll keep you all posted when I figure out how to get 3D to play on Kodi...

Edit: Okay, so it turns out Sony uses a private API in the Nougat Android TVs, and the official DTS API under Oreo. While the Sony app can stream DTS tracks, no one else can.
So either we need a hacked firmware based on the newer TVs', or get an add-on smart device. :frown:

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Since our TV's share the same Android operating system as the 940C there is hope for an upgrade to Android version 8 (Oreo). In fact if you look at the list of applicable models getting the upgrade you will find the KD-75X8500C, KD-65X8500C and the KD-55X8500C!

hi all, just a heads up, andoid 8 oreo has been released for asia/pacific area for our tvs, https://www.sony-asia.com/electronic...00016713#about
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2011242-official-sony-x930c-x940c-owners-thread-482.html#post59720438

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since out TV's share the same Android operating system as the 940C there is hope for an upgrade to Android version 8 (Oreo). In fact if you look at the list of applicable models getting the upgrade you will find the KD-75X8500C, KD-65X8500C and the KD-55X8500C!
And it's possible to update other countries' tv with this firmware? What's the difference?

·
Registered
95 Posts
And it's possible to update other countries' tv with this firmware? What's the difference?
I wouldn’t dare!

But this could to our tv’s getting the update as well, since the effort has already been made.

Reactions: DoctorM and PaulGo

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Usually firmware has a check to make sure it's being installed on a compatible model. Models from another area can have differences such as tuning frequencies of the built in tuner. If an incompatible firmware in allowed to be installed it would turn your TV into an non-functional unit.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I just got a warm fuzzy for Sony. It is unexpected and undeserved. I can't think of another manufacturer that would do that for a 5 year old TV. Seriously, these things launched with Lollipop.

IIRC, we are usually a little behind on our firmware updates from Asia Pacific.

This could fix our DTS issue (because the open API needs Oreo), the need to manually update the Google App for Android, and maybe the 3D issue (with YouTube anyway).

Sorry, way too excited.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
It appears the 850D models use the same firmware, so maybe this is the reason Sony decided to do the update to TV Android OS 8.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I manually checked for a software update tonight... and the TV found one.

Edit: Sorry if I caused a freak out,, but both my TVs updated to v5.435, which was June of last year.

I don't know why they both missed that update, I think it was because you have to accept an updated privacy policy before it would search for an update.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Btw, when it finished I had to accept MORE terms and conditions or whatever. It was broken into 4 categories. I only accepted the one that lets Sony make smart apps function and refused advertising, collecting data to improve future updates(?), and collection of data for suggested programming. Does anyone remember this and what did you do about it? Any negative impact?

Edit: Bah, another week and still no update to Oreo. Anyone still have an inside source at Sony that can give us an ETA (if there even is one?)

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I was just researching UHD BD players and I'm still grumpy we only have HDR10 as a useful HDR. And then I read about the LDDV trick.
Has anyone tried a Sony UHD BD player plugged via an HDFury to our TVs? It's not cheap, but getting useful Dolby Vision on an x850 holds off the need to upgrade our TVs a little longer.

Speaking of... I was reading on the UK Sony forum someone in New Zealand had tried the new Oreo firmware and reports that it actually improved the TV's performance. No details though. COME ON SONY. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was just researching UHD BD players and I'm still grumpy we only have HDR10 as a useful HDR. And then I read about the LDDV trick.
Has anyone tried a Sony UHD BD player plugged via an HDFury to our TVs? It's not cheap, but getting useful Dolby Vision on an x850 holds off the need to upgrade our TVs a little longer.

I have an AppleTV (and Oppo UHD BD Player)->AV Receiver->HDFury Vertex2->Sony x850c. LLDV works great on DV content material and vastly improves picture quality. I don't have a Sony UHD BD player so I can't comment on that component of the equation.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I have an AppleTV (and Oppo UHD BD Player)->AV Receiver->HDFury Vertex2->Sony x850c. LLDV works great on DV content material and vastly improves picture quality. I don't have a Sony UHD BD player so I can't comment on that component of the equation.
But it does bring (sort of) Dolby Vision with your Oppo player? Considering there's so much talk of this on AVSForum, I'm surprised the conversation never before made its way to this thread. (Although, I see you used the HDFury for your calibration.)
It also suggests that Sony probably could have gotten us some limited DV support with a firmware update.

Unfortunately, the cheapest device that does this is $400. I'd hope now that people know how this works that someone develops a cheaper (easier to use) dedicated box for doing it. 90% of the other stuff the HDFury things do is over my head and a waste of money.
I did email them and suggest a sub-$200 box would find a market for people wanting to extend the useful life of their TVs. If they got enough requests, I bet that would happen.

·
Registered
78 Posts
But it does bring (sort of) Dolby Vision with your Oppo player?
Correct. Both my AppleTV and my Oppo UHD player recognize the LLDV compatible EDID from the HDFury and output a LLDV signal which is then passed to the TV. I can change the EDID on the HDFury via a web browser and there is a noticeable difference in image quality between the LLDV signal and the standard HDR10 signal. "Sort of" is also an appropriate description since even the LLDV signal is limited by the peak brightness of the x850c and I'm sure the signal would look even better on a more recent TV with any even greater dynamic range.

It also suggests that Sony probably could have gotten us some limited DV support with a firmware update.
Most definitely correct. My experience demonstrates that the only thing in the x850c that prevents it from doing LLDV is the fact that the firmware does not provide this option. The TV doesn't send an EDID to the source saying that it's capable of LLDV so the source doesn't send the TV an LLDV signal. All I needed to do to get LLDV on my x850c was to program my HDFury to substitute the EDID coming from the TV with a SONY A1 LLDV DCI-P3 EDID.

Unfortunately, the cheapest device that does this is $400. I'd hope now that people know how this works that someone develops a cheaper (easier to use) dedicated box for doing it. 90% of the other stuff the HDFury things do is over my head and a waste of money.I did email them and suggest a sub-$200 box would find a market for people wanting to extend the useful life of their TVs. If they got enough requests, I bet that would happen.
I agree. I use very little of the capabilities of my HDFury and it'd be nice if they could make a simpler/cheaper box that just does the EDID substitution. However, I do recognize that they're trying to create a device that works with a large number of image sources and TV's/projectors. Functions that I don't use/need may be essential in someone else's setup.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I did hear back from them. Their answer was pretty much: we need to add all that stuff that you aren't going to use so we can diagnose when the box isn't working, and most users are too stupid to know their TVs aren't showing DV, but something inferior. Therefore there is no market.

Seriously, do they need displays built into the outside of the box and a half dozen in/outs? If they won't do it, I'm sure someone else will now that the situation is understood.

I hope it's a language barrier, and not that the people that work at HDFury are schmucks.

Edit: Btw, can the HDFury do the same for HDR10+? If so it would make Panasonic or Oppo players preferable to Sony.

I suspect not, since my understanding is the LLDV change to DV was implemented because Sony's TVs weren't 100% compatible. Sony convinced Dolby to alter the profile so the source device takes up some of the processing work that the Sony TVs couldn't do.
In other words, the HDFury isn't picking up the slack, it's making the source device do it (and only devices that support LLDV). Something AFAIK the HDR10+ API doesn't allow for.

Edit 2: 15000th post on this thread!!! Yikes.

14981 - 15000 of 15110 Posts