AVS Forum banner

15061 - 15080 of 15108 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Quoting myself quoting Sony's suggestion after a bad firmware update I had a few years ago:
1. Unplug tv and all other connections.
2. Hold the volume (-) button on power button down on tv and keep holding those two buttons down.
3. Plug tv back in, and keep holding the volume (-) and power button on back of tv for about 10 seconds until the LED light under Sony on the front of the TV turns green.
4. Let go of buttons and TV will start back up and walk you thru initial setup.
Not really something you can do by yourself.

Everyone else: I have a question. I updated my internet service yesterday. Speed tests are showing I have 29.5Mbps. Earthlink's Stats for Nerds is telling me I've got something around 14.5Mbps and keeping me at 1440p. Is that possibly a peering thing? I would think there wouldn't be any choke points or whatever they called it between a national provider and something huge like YouTube.

Edit: Oh and was it determined that the built-in app can't do YouTube's HLG HDR?
Interestingly, I've downloaded YouTube videos that have HLG and they are unplayable.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
There is also a reset you trigger manually holding a combination of buttons. I don't know if it's any different than the factory reset, but I've seen Sony recommend that.

I don't believe it is different. It is a method to use if you can't access the menu to do a reset.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
@dbalone , did you ever fix your rebooting issue? I'm still having the same problem, and I even tried a factory reset a second time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Btw, I recommended Leanback for Fire TV before as a replacement for our home screen.
Using v1.10 (instead of the current 1.11), you CAN turn the input lines on.

There's also better apps than LaunchHijack (or whatever it was called). I'm using 'Home' which is just a button you click from the Oreo screen to go to the other launcher. There's another more aggressive launch screen replacement (I can't remember the name), but I wouldn't use it unless you're sure you don't want to see the Oreo screen again without doing some work.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hello everyone. HOPE someone can offer help. My TV updated about one week ago. Everyday since then it reboots every time I turn it on. If I turn it off for only a short time it is fine. Overnight is a whole different story. I have to push the remote On button several times before it actually comes on and reboots. Then it is fine till the next day. I have tried all of the suggestions from Sony that I can find. If I unplug it, it will turn on with the Sony logo and then the Android logo and then reboot. I have done the data reset three times now without it helping. I see a forced reboot option too but I cannot get that to work. Says to hold down the specific two buttons on the back of the TV for up to 30 seconds and a green light will show up on the front bottom. I have tried this several times too and cannot get the green light to show up. Anyway, I have really liked this TV. Any suggestions?
They extended the warranty until the end of the year. Tell them all the symptoms they want to hear so they can replace your main board. I still might not go thru with the update. Sure enough as I predicted **** happens with these updates.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-65x900c/articles/00235875

·
Registered
247 Posts
@dbalone , did you ever fix your rebooting issue? I'm still having the same problem, and I even tried a factory reset a second time.

Nope, no luck. I have tried the reset three times, I may try one more time this weekend. If that does not work I will contact Sony. Its worth a try anyway. I have seen where the warranty was extended for these TVs, certainly sounds exactly like our problem. TV has been very good. I somewhat hesitate having to get a new one this year because I think Sony and others have cheapened their sets on features. From what I have read only the 900H seems future proof. Cant argue with the prices though, seems crazy now for what I paid on the 850C.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Nope, no luck. I have tried the reset three times, I may try one more time this weekend. If that does not work I will contact Sony. Its worth a try anyway. I have seen where the warranty was extended for these TVs, certainly sounds exactly like our problem. TV has been very good. I somewhat hesitate having to get a new one this year because I think Sony and others have cheapened their sets on features. From what I have read only the 900H seems future proof. Cant argue with the prices though, seems crazy now for what I paid on the 850C.
Yeah, I was at COSTCO tonight, and they have a 65" Sony 4k for $668. I think I paid $2000 more for mine back in 2015.

·
UHD Addict
37,084 Posts
Yeah, I was at COSTCO tonight, and they have a 65" Sony 4k for $668. I think I paid $2000 more for mine back in 2015.

Yes. Its crazy what you can get for less than $2k now. The new Vizio has 3000 nits and will be priced at $1500 for the 65". $3k for the 85".

I keep hoping my Sony 850C will die under warranty. So BestBuy would give me the full value I paid for it. Then I could get a 65" TCL 8 series for only $1k. And after paying for a five year warranty I would still have enough left over to preorder a PS5 or Xbox Series X.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0

Reactions: Theetjuh

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Yes. Its crazy what you can get for less than $2k now. The new Vizio has 3000 nits and will be priced at $1500 for the 65". $3k for the 85".

I keep hoping my Sony 850C will die under warranty. So BestBuy would give me the full value I paid for it. Then I could get a 65" TCL 8 series for only $1k. And after paying for a five year warranty I would still have enough left over to preorder a PS5 or Xbox Series X.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0
Don't forget that one of the reasons this TV cost so much was that it has 3D. All sets that offered 3D had a premium price. Until 3D sets make a come back I would like to hold onto this TV as long as I can.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Don't forget that one of the reasons this TV cost so much was that it has 3D. All sets that offered 3D had a premium price. Until 3D sets make a come back I would like to hold onto this TV as long as I can.
Yeah, I kind of miss the 3D, even if I didn't use it often. I just replaced the 850C that got broken during moving with a 900H and while the 900H is a fantastic TV, I do miss the 850C. Would that I could find someone locally to replace the screen.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
So I noticed a pattern with the way my TV won't turn right on. Most of the times when I hit the power button, the power light only lights up a little in the middle, sits there for about 30 seconds, then goes out. When I hit the power button again right away, the TV turns on, but boots from the Android logo, like a hard reboot. Sometimes, I can hit the power button, and I hear a nice click, which tells me it will power right on,and the entire power light is fully lit. Anyone know why this is happening? It definitely started with the last firmware update.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So I noticed a pattern with the way my TV won't turn right on. Most of the times when I hit the power button, the power light only lights up a little in the middle, sits there for about 30 seconds, then goes out. When I hit the power button again right away, the TV turns on, but boots from the Android logo, like a hard reboot. Sometimes, I can hit the power button, and I hear a nice click, which tells me it will power right on,and the entire power light is fully lit. Anyone know why this is happening? It definitely started with the last firmware update.

My TV started doing that along those lines with the update before this. Still debating if I should go with this new update. Hasn't hit my TV yet. Part of me is thinking maybe Sony retracted it since there has been problems. Will wait it out and see if it shows up. Maybe we will get a update patch later on. My TV is functioning pretty well other than the occasional power on issue. Don't fix what ain't broke. :p

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I just got off a chat with Sony. Apparently, they're aware of the issue. If you haven't updated to the latest firmware, I'd advise against it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just got off a chat with Sony. Apparently, they're aware of the issue. If you haven't updated to the latest firmware, I'd advise against it.

Hey, I have an update on mine. I was having the same problem and (knock on wood) it appears to be fixed. I had two conversations with Sony support 1 and then yesterday got to support 2. He had me change two settings -

1) Go to Network - then Home Network - look for simple IP control - turn it ON.
2) Go to back to settings and look for Power - make sure Power Saving and Auto Shut off are both OFF.

He said if this did not work I would need repair service. However, so far so good. Every single day since the update my TV has rebooted when I turn it on. It has also taken more than one try to turn it on sometimes. Since I changed these settings I have not had a reboot and my TV comes on quick and ready to go.

Good luck.

·
Registered
424 Posts

As I predicted, "patch" coming at some point. :p
I'll wait it out.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Hey, I have an update on mine. I was having the same problem and (knock on wood) it appears to be fixed. I had two conversations with Sony support 1 and then yesterday got to support 2. He had me change two settings -

1) Go to Network - then Home Network - look for simple IP control - turn it ON.

2) Go to back to settings and look for Power - make sure Power Saving and Auto Shut off are both OFF.

He said if this did not work I would need repair service. However, so far so good. Every single day since the update my TV has rebooted when I turn it on. It has also taken more than one try to turn it on sometimes. Since I changed these settings I have not had a reboot and my TV comes on quick and ready to go.

Good luck.
I tried these settings yesterday, and after sitting overnight, it powered right on. This is a good sign.

15061 - 15080 of 15108 Posts