AVS Forum banner

15201 - 15220 of 15243 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I realized tonight that I have never fully understood the Surround setting on these TVs.
Auto: Reproduces life-like surround sound when playing 5.1-channel audio sources.
On: Virtually reproduce realistic surround sound.
Off: Virtually reproduce realistic surround sound.

So what is the difference between Auto and On? What happens to 7.1 or stereo tracks if set to auto? What happens to 5.1 sound set to On?
It's not really intuitive.

·
UHD Addict
38,233 Posts
I realized tonight that I have never fully understood the Surround setting on these TVs.
Auto: Reproduces life-like surround sound when playing 5.1-channel audio sources.
On: Virtually reproduce realistic surround sound.
Off: Virtually reproduce realistic surround sound.

So what is the difference between Auto and On? What happens to 7.1 or stereo tracks if set to auto? What happens to 5.1 sound set to On?
It's not really intuitive.
That is in the TV options?
I know when using the ARC, if I send the TV 7.1 DD+ audio over one of the HDMi inputs, it truncates the extra two channels and sends 640Kbps 5.1 DD to the receiver or speaker bar.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
That is in the TV options?
I know when using the ARC, if I send the TV 7.1 DD+ audio over one of the HDMi inputs, it truncates the extra two channels and sends 640Kbps 5.1 DD to the receiver or speaker bar.
Yeah, digital output seems to use the core for anything above S/PDIF. I'm pretty sure the surround options are only when using the internal speakers.

·
Registered
886 Posts
So I own the X930C which hardware wise is pretty much exactly like the 850C.Still really love this TV and don't see a need to upgrade until HDMI 2,1 and 8k is a little more mainstream. Have any of you purchased a next generation Console yet? I'm leaning PS5. There is a lot of talk about HDMI 2.0b and how it will handle the 4k 60FPS on the Playstation 5. But I think our TV's are HDMI 2.0 with a firmware upgrade to 2.0a. I already know I'm going to have to utilize ARC as my 2 year old Onkyo RZ830 doesn't support 120FPS. I am able to game with my PS4 Pro in 4k HDR so I'm assuming the PS5 will do the same? Thanks in advance.

·
UHD Addict
38,233 Posts
So I own the X930C which hardware wise is pretty much exactly like the 850C.Still really love this TV and don't see a need to upgrade until HDMI 2,1 and 8k is a little more mainstream. Have any of you purchased a next generation Console yet? I'm leaning PS5. There is a lot of talk about HDMI 2.0b and how it will handle the 4k 60FPS on the Playstation 5. But I think our TV's are HDMI 2.0 with a firmware upgrade to 2.0a. I already know I'm going to have to utilize ARC as my 2 year old Onkyo RZ830 doesn't support 120FPS. I am able to game with my PS4 Pro in 4k HDR so I'm assuming the PS5 will do the same? Thanks in advance.
2160P60 from the PS4/XB1X should be the same with the PS5/Series X. i have a Series X and my TVs work the same with it as they do the XB1X and PS4 Pro.

Reactions: goksucats

·
Registered
26 Posts
4k 60fps videos on Youtube keep freezing. I only started watching these videos recently so I don't know if it's related to the new firmware or not. They play fine on my 4k laptop and monitor.
That's not new, it's a pain in the ... for years. It doesn't work. Especially 4k

Verstuurd vanaf mijn POCO F1 met Tapatalk
Is there any way around this? It's only 4k60fps videos that the built in Youtube app has trouble playing. 4k30fps videos play just fine.

Just wondering if this is still a problem on current Sony smart TVs? I really prefer to watch Youtube on my TV rather than computer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there any way around this? It's only 4k60fps videos that the built in Youtube app has trouble playing. 4k30fps videos play just fine.

Just wondering if this is still a problem on current Sony smart TVs? I really prefer to watch Youtube on my TV rather than computer
Really, at this point I think connecting an Android 10 or 11 streaming box is a no-brainer for YouTube and other apps. I still find Google's new "Chromecast with Google TV" for $50 to be a great value and worthwhile upgrade over the built-in apps. And 4k60fps as well as HDV work on YouTube.

I ended up uninstalling or disabling all apps and built-in apps except "channels" from the smart TV and it runs great.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Really, at this point I think connecting an Android 10 or 11 streaming box is a no-brainer for YouTube and other apps. I still find Google's new "Chromecast with Google TV" for $50 to be a great value and worthwhile upgrade over the built-in apps. And 4k60fps as well as HDV work on YouTube.

I ended up uninstalling or disabling all apps and built-in apps except "channels" from the smart TV and it runs great.

Thanks. Do you know if the new Sony TVs play 4k60fps videos fine on the built in Youtube app?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks. Do you know if the new Sony TVs play 4k60fps videos fine on the built in Youtube app?
I don't. But you could ask on a more general thread or new TV thread. Sony threads might be most likely to since they run the Android TV app which is updated more frequently.

My point was that I wouldn't add it into the equation on what TV to buy since streaming sticks are so cheap and likely even better than 2021 built in apps. I do imagine that new TVs have better internal upscalers than streaming devices though. This may make a difference for some content.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't. But you could ask on a more general thread or new TV thread. Sony threads might be most likely to since they run the Android TV app which is updated more frequently.

My point was that I wouldn't add it into the equation on what TV to buy since streaming sticks are so cheap and likely even better than 2021 built in apps. I do imagine that new TVs have better internal upscalers than streaming devices though. This may make a difference for some content.

Yes, unfortunately we're nearing the point where we're relying less and less on our TV's own "smartness". Five to six years is actually a good run as my previous Samsung only lasted three years before I fully relied on external devices for my streaming. I'm just glad we have 4K/60 inputs on the Sony 850C as in 2015 that wasn't the case for most new TVs in this price category.

·
Registered
266 Posts
YouTube in 4k 60 on the 930c (released same year) works flawlessly. I would imagine that all new sonys would work fine too.

P. S. Google's new chromecast is brilliant to increase smartness of your tv. Very well priced too

·
UHD Addict
38,233 Posts
Even if UHD Youtube works on the 850C the interface is too slow to really mess with it anyway.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Some 4K 60fps YouTube videos play fine while others do not. I think is is a function of the CPU / GPU used in these sets and the way some of these videos are encoded. Because of the CPU/GPU limitations these sets cannot display YouTube HDR videos. Overall I do not have any problems with the Android menus (Android TV version 8). I do have all the extra recommendations turned off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some 4K 60fps YouTube videos play fine while others do not. I think is is a function of the CPU / GPU used in these sets and the way some of these videos are encoded. Because of the CPU/GPU limitations these sets cannot display YouTube HDR videos. Overall I do not have any problems with the Android menus (Android TV version 8). I do have all the extra recommendations turned off.
These sets play all YouTube 4k 60 HDR vids perfectly. Sideload a different app, or use an HDMI streamer. If you can't, it's probably an old app, OS version, or the internal SoC.

I think if you view the 5-year-old internal smart functionality as integral to the TV, then you're doomed. I wish these were only ever "monitors" (no speakers or smart functions or even tuners) to begin with. Then I think people would better separate the functions in their minds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking for some feedback on two problems I am facing with my XBR-65x-850c.

1. USB Network Adapter
Does anybody know if it is possible to connect a USB Gigabit Ethernet adapter to the XBR-65x-850c? I have been reading online that it is possible (an older post not using the Oreo upgrade), but it definitely didn't work with the adapter I had on hand.

I do understand that I likely won't get full performance because all these adapters required USB 3, but even a small boost might improve things for the Plex player.

If anybody got this working, please let me know what model you are using. Of course, I would also appreciate any advise with regards to improving Plex performance.

2. Green Artefacts
Some video content shows green artefacts in the first few and last lines of the screen. This mainly happens when using Plex. I have already asked the same question on the Plex forum, but it appears that only very few people encountered the same problem and so there is no solution at the moment. So, I figured, I try it here again where I can reach more owners of the same TV model.

My personal guess is that the videos that don't work have some small encoding bug which Plex cannot understand.

Any feedback is appreciated!

·
UHD Addict
38,233 Posts
You will get better results with Plex by just switching to a dedicated streamer. Especially one like the Shield TV. It works great with plex and lossless audio and very high bitrate video.
But even my $25 Roku 4K streaming Sticks have zero problems streaming very high bitrate (100+Mb/s) UHD videos. Although for audio Plex has to transcode the lossless audio to lossy for play back on the Roku. Just like it has to with the 2020 Chromecast and 4k Fire Tvs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will get better results with Plex by just switching to a dedicated streamer. Especially one like the Shield TV. It works great with plex and lossless audio and very high bitrate video.
But even my $25 Roku 4K streaming Sticks have zero problems streaming very high bitrate (100+Mb/s) UHD videos. Although for audio Plex has to transcode the lossless audio to lossy for play back on the Roku. Just like it has to with the 2020 Chromecast and 4k Fire Tvs.
Thank you for getting back to me!

I have been looking at the Shield TV Pro for a while now, but it is my understanding that it might be up for a hardware refresh soon. Same as the Apple TV 4k. So, I was hoping to cover a few more months on the current hardware. Completely agree with you that my long-term solution should be a dedicated streamer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After updating to AndroidTV 8.0 (latest update available) and after factory resetting the TV...has anyone else had a persistent issue with the TV not going into standby mode? I can't turn off the TV for any amount of time now without a full reboot of the unit. Extremely frustrating and wanted to know if anyone found a workaround for this issue.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
After updating to AndroidTV 8.0 (latest update available) and after factory resetting the TV...has anyone else had a persistent issue with the TV not going into standby mode? I can't turn off the TV for any amount of time now without a full reboot of the unit. Extremely frustrating and wanted to know if anyone found a workaround for this issue.
Had to dig a few pages back, but this should work.
1) Go to Network - then Home Network - look for simple IP control - turn it ON.
2) Go to back to settings and look for Power - make sure Power Saving and Auto Shut off are both OFF.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I need help. My voice remote's batteries corroded and leaked acid deeper inside.
The remote is held closed with some sort of tiny hex screws. An eyeglass screwdriver can bite into them, but they are super tight and there is no way to get enough leverage to loosen them.

So I'm stuck with a remote with acid, probably messing up circuits and no way to clean it out. I'm open to suggestions. At the moment I'm tempted to drop the whole thing into a bowl of water with a tiny amount of baking soda and then transferring the remote to another bowl of rice to dry.

Anyone know what sort of tool can open these things? Even then, I'm afraid by the time I'm able to open the remote, it'll be too late to clean it.

Should I just toss it in the trash?

ALSO, this has been asked several times, but has anyone tried one of Sony's newer remotes on this TV (that have the voice control built into the full sized remote)?

15201 - 15220 of 15243 Posts