AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
I just grabbed the 2015 XBR-43X830C from hhgregg $600 out the door tax included
They have 30day returns should I keep or return and get the 2016 model when it hits the stores in the next few weeks ?

What to do that is the question? :)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I just grabbed the 2015 XBR-43X830C from hhgregg $600 out the door tax included
They have 30day returns should I keep or return and get the 2016 model when it hits the stores in the next few weeks ?

What to do that is the question? :)
I had the X830C and loved everything about it,but the black level performance and uniformity were pretty bad. The black levels were already a dark grey and with light leakage from all four corners made for a bad viewing experience.
Although motion performance,input lag and overall user experience were fantastic. It may have been the unit I had and this may not translate to all users.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had the X830C and loved everything about it,but the black level performance and uniformity were pretty bad. The black levels were already a dark grey and with light leakage from all four corners made for a bad viewing experience.
Although motion performance,input lag and overall user experience were fantastic. It may have been the unit I had and this may not translate to all users.
Did you get something different better to replace it ?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Did you get something different better to replace it ?
I am using an old Samsung plasma at the moment. I am restricted by a 40ish inch screen size. i am considering the Sony X800D, LG HU6500 and the new Phillips 6000 series. The Philips 49" has full array local w/128 zones and HDR support.
I am buying an Xbox one S,so that I will have a UHD Blu-Ray player and great game line up as well.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am using an old Samsung plasma at the moment. I am restricted by a 40ish inch screen size. i am considering the Sony X800D, LG HU6500 and the new Phillips 6000 series. The Philips 49" has full array local w/128 zones and HDR support.
I am buying an Xbox one S,so that I will have a UHD Blu-Ray player and great game line up as well.

Yeah i need a 40ish also just a bedroom TV and sits to close to my head to go with anything larger
Do you know if any of the 2016 Sony's will have the newer Sony's X1 processor ?
Just hate buying last years model just when newer models are coming out
Just waiting to see some real time reviews on them

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah i need a 40ish also just a bedroom TV and sits to close to my head to go with anything larger
Do you know if any of the 2016 Sony's will have the newer Sony's X1 processor ?
Just hate buying last years model just when newer models are coming out
Just waiting to see some real time reviews on them
I think they simply have the x-reality pro 4K engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As my first foray into 4K TVs, I was looking at the 2015 55" XBR-810C as it was rated the best TV at its pricepoint at rtings.com. It's primarily going to be used as a PC monitor.

I'm wondering if it's worth getting the 2016 55" XBR-X700D? They're both listed at the same price at B&H Photo/Video, although from reading here I see that this new model is only 60hz refresh rate and is using some inferior technology.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Didn't really notice this before, but the new X700/X750 and X800D models also omit Sony's X1 processor in favor the 4K X-Reality Pro chip. That means upscaling and video processing will be handled by their 2013/2014 engine and not the newer improved X1 chip. Nor will the X800D with Triluminos benefit from the "precision color mapping" Sony touts on their models with X1 + WCG.

Obviously a cost-saving measure, as even the X810C that the X700D is poised to replace uses the X1 chip.
Can someone help clear this up for me I was in Best-buy today comparing the last years models with new models and the Sony guy was there explaining the differences said the new 2016 models defiantly have the X1 processor.
I took a picture of the display ad posted under the 2016 models where it says 4K X-Reality Pro chip +X1 ?
The Sony guy insisted that its the improved X1 chip ?
By the way side by side to me there was quite a noticeable difference between last years models and the newer models newer looking a lot better enough for me to be excited about returning my 43X830C for the newer model :)

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Can someone help clear this up for me I was in Best-buy today comparing the last years models with new models and the Sony guy was there explaining the differences said the new 2016 models defiantly have the X1 processor.
I took a picture of the display ad posted under the 2016 models where it says 4K X-Reality Pro chip +X1 ?
The Sony guy insisted that its the improved X1 chip ?
By the way side by side to me there was quite a noticeable difference between last years models and the newer models newer looking a lot better enough for me to be excited about returning my 43X830C for the newer model :)
Well considering the new TVs that came out last march (2016) were still on the old 2015 chip i would be cautious. The Sony rep may not know what they are talking about because Sony calls all of them X1 (2015 and 2016). The only way to know for sure is to install an app like AIDA64 on the TV and get the cpu /gpu specs and report back. I know Sony is supposed to be bringing a newer mediatek chip soon though.

Here is an app that can be installed on the TVs to tell https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.finalwire.aida64

Here is what most of the TVs that are out now have:
MediaTek MT5890
CPU Address Space: 32 Bit
Cores: 2 (two Cortex-A17)
GPU Model: Mali-T624

This is what could/should be in the newer sets.
MediaTek...
CPU Address Space: 64 Bit
Cores: 2 - 4 (Cortex-A53)
GPU Model: Mali-T860

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went ahead and purchased the KD800D for my bedroom, and am almost immediately regretting it. I don't expect it to look like my OLED E6 nor Pioneer Kuro, but it doesn't even look as good as the old Sony XBR I'm replacing. There's massive banding and backlighting issues that I just don't see on my old TV nor computer monitors (anything from even a slight angle looks like there are dark spots on the TV), and when I hooked up my PC to the television, the image was extremely bright and washed out. When I ran Photoshop and just drew a straight line, the color was bleeding into other pixels. Anyone else have issues like this, or is it just abnormal?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I went ahead and purchased the KD800D for my bedroom, and am almost immediately regretting it. I don't expect it to look like my OLED E6 nor Pioneer Kuro, but it doesn't even look as good as the old Sony XBR I'm replacing. There's massive banding and backlighting issues that I just don't see on my old TV nor computer monitors (anything from even a slight angle looks like there are dark spots on the TV), and when I hooked up my PC to the television, the image was extremely bright and washed out. When I ran Photoshop and just drew a straight line, the color was bleeding into other pixels. Anyone else have issues like this, or is it just abnormal?
Do you mind looking at my post on the previous page and getting us the specs?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Total Memory: 1983 MB
Internal Storage Space: 8358 MB

Core Architecture: 4x ARM Cortex-A53
Instruction Set: 32-bit ARMv7
CPU Cores: 4
Supported ABIs: armeabi-v7a, armeabi
Supported 32-bit ABIs: armeabi-v7a, armeabi
AES: Not Supported
NEON: Supported
SHA1: Not Supported
SHA2: Not Supported

GPU Vendor: ARM
GPU Renderer: Mali-T860
GPU Cores: 2

Android Version: 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks for the post

I'm still not sure whats what is this the old 4K X-Reality Pro chip. or the newer improved X1 chip ?

Least its running latest Marshmallow 6.0.1 my 43X830C is on 5.11 anyone know if theirs a way to get it to update it to 6 ?

Total Memory: 1983 MB
Internal Storage Space: 8358 MB

Core Architecture: 4x ARM Cortex-A53
Instruction Set: 32-bit ARMv7
CPU Cores: 4
Supported ABIs: armeabi-v7a, armeabi
Supported 32-bit ABIs: armeabi-v7a, armeabi
AES: Not Supported
NEON: Supported
SHA1: Not Supported
SHA2: Not Supported

GPU Vendor: ARM
GPU Renderer: Mali-T860
GPU Cores: 2

Android Version: 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)

·
Registered
340 Posts
You could have gotten a bad set but someone more educated should respond. I did not have issues like this on my X850D but ive pretty much learned that theres panel lottery with almost every brand and model these days.

Thanks for the post

I'm still not sure whats what is this the old 4K X-Reality Pro chip. or the newer improved X1 chip ?

Least its running latest Marshmallow 6.0.1 my 43X830C is on 5.11 anyone know if theirs a way to get it to update it to 6 ?
This is the newer improved X1. It is much much better in both CPU and Graphics processing so should prove to be a much smoother OS and App experience. This is the first time Sony has released it in their TVs. Even the expensive 2016 X930D and X940D dont have this chipset. As for your old TV getting Marshmallow you will get it soon according to sony but its not much of an upgrade feature wise so dont sweat it. Android 7 brings way more to the table for TV.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sounds good to me glad i can still return my 2015 for the latest and greatest
Side by side the newer models looked noticeably better in the store

I'd like to read more about the newer improved X1 is there any threads here talking about them that you could point me to ?

You could have gotten a bad set but someone more educated should respond. I did not have issues like this on my X850D but ive pretty much learned that theres panel lottery with almost every brand and model these days.

This is the newer improved X1. It is much much better in both CPU and Graphics processing so should prove to be a much smoother OS and App experience. This is the first time Sony has released it in their TVs. Even the expensive 2016 X930D and X940D dont have this chipset. As for your old TV getting Marshmallow you will get it soon according to sony but its not much of an upgrade feature wise so dont sweat it. Android 7 brings way more to the table for TV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's a bummer. This is the first LCD TV I've had in over a decade, and was hoping the days of panel lotteries were behind us. I never had a problem with my older Sony Bravia, which is why I primarily targeted this one.

Some things I've noticed. The TV's native resolution is 1080p. I'm not sure why. My LG e6 comes up as 4k. Also, I can't seem to get YouTube to display 4k. It seems to be capped @ 1080p. (Once again, there's no problem with the e6). For HDR, the manual suggests HDMI 2 & 3, though HDMI 1 is the only one behind the television, whereas HDMI 2-4 are on the sides. Also, when I plugged in my Samsung UHD Blu-Ray player, there wasn't any notification that it went into HDR mode. The LG states when it's switching modes, and while I enabled Enhanced from the settings, the television feels very opaque rather than transparent. My old Bravia, I could just hit display, and it would tell me the resolution at the very least.

·
Registered
467 Posts
That sucks I was pumped to go first thing tomorrow to exchange out for the newer unit but your freaking me out :)

That's a bummer. This is the first LCD TV I've had in over a decade, and was hoping the days of panel lotteries were behind us. I never had a problem with my older Sony Bravia, which is why I primarily targeted this one.

Some things I've noticed. The TV's native resolution is 1080p. I'm not sure why. My LG e6 comes up as 4k. Also, I can't seem to get YouTube to display 4k. It seems to be capped @ 1080p. (Once again, there's no problem with the e6). For HDR, the manual suggests HDMI 2 & 3, though HDMI 1 is the only one behind the television, whereas HDMI 2-4 are on the sides. Also, when I plugged in my Samsung UHD Blu-Ray player, there wasn't any notification that it went into HDR mode. The LG states when it's switching modes, and while I enabled Enhanced from the settings, the television feels very opaque rather than transparent. My old Bravia, I could just hit display, and it would tell me the resolution at the very least.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That sucks I was pumped to go first thing tomorrow to exchange out for the newer unit but your freaking me out :)
It's only one person, and as anyone who knows me would say, I'm extremely unlucky. I'm definitely looking to see anyone else getting one, and hopefully I just got a bad panel.

·
Registered
467 Posts
21 - 40 of 318 Posts