AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Used Spears and Munsil for the color gamma adjustment and brightness and contrast. all adjustments by eye.

HD/SDRUHD/HDR
Picture modeCustomCustom
Auto picture modeOffOff
Light sensorOff---
Advanced settings
Brightness
Brightness34Max
Contrast:9192
Gamma:00
Black level:5050
Black adjust:OffOff
Adv. contrast enhancer:OffOff
Peak luminanceMediumHigh
Color
Color:5050
Hue:00
Color temperature:Expert 1Expert 1
Adv. color temperature
2-point not used (SDR and HDR)
10-point (SDR and HDR)*
Red offset0001120111
Green offset0000000100
Blue offset8005040113

Live colorOffOff
Per color adjustment (SDR and HDR)*
RGBCMY
Hue3-300-20
Saturation-1-400-30
Lightness000000

Clarity
Sharpness5050
Reality CreationOffOff
Random Noise ReductionOffOff
Digital Noise ReductionOffOf
Smooth gradationOffOff
Motion
MotionflowOffOff
CinemotionOffOff
Video options
HDR modeAutoAuto
HDMI video rangeAutoAuto
Color spaceAutoAuto
You did the 10 point and CMS by eye? !

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes, I experimented with the clipping pattern and the values from sound and audio to tune the image. After that using the video in the disc to compare the the 3 settings the original, the ones from the calibration from sound and the ones from the clipping pattern and chose the last.

You did the 10 point and CMS by eye? !

·
Registered
97 Posts
So I am here because the owners thread has turned into a shtsow. I am trying to clear up some noise in dark scenes on Directv. Directv has such a compressed image now, it really looks like garbage. Unfortunately my only option i see, is to either turn down gamma, or use black level adjustment to slightly crush black. Any other ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
So I am here because the owners thread has turned into a shtsow. I am trying to clear up some noise in dark scenes on Directv. Directv has such a compressed image now, it really looks like garbage. Unfortunately my only option i see, is to either turn down gamma, or use black level adjustment to slightly crush black. Any other ideas? Thanks!
I'm in the same boat. Black crush is just brutal in dark scenes on the A8H. I was just test watching The Descent........black crush was all over the place. Raising my black level a point or 2 helps but I did not pay 2 grand for this problem.

Is this a problem with this model across the board, or do some of us gotta play the 'panel lottery'?

I still have a couple months return window at Costco, but what is the point of getting a replacement if all the panels suffer from noise and crushing

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm in the same boat. Black crush is just brutal in dark scenes on the A8H. I was just test watching The Descent........black crush was all over the place. Raising my black level a point or 2 helps but I did not pay 2 grand for this problem.

Is this a problem with this model across the board, or do some of us gotta play the 'panel lottery'?

I still have a couple months return window at Costco, but what is the point of getting a replacement if all the panels suffer from noise and crushing
Post some examples to check. I actually found the A8H excellent at not crushing blacks like my LG C9 does.

bob

·
Registered
97 Posts

Your misquoting me. I don't have black crush issues. My issue is I have to crush black on purpose to avoid the horrible compression of Directv that affects dark areas. Any other source is fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In my opinion there is a significant difference in BFI off/BFI 1/ BFI 2. Try to play with these settings (if you like BFI). And also use a pattern to set the correct black level e.g. from the AVSHD709. For my A8 the following settings are (currently) ok: BFI at 2, black level at 49, peak luminance at min + brightness 30 --> 120cd/m² at 100% white.
But it always depends on the quality of the source!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Post some examples to check. I actually found the A8H excellent at not crushing blacks like my LG C9 does.

bob
Screen captures from descent. I'm not really good at this sort of stuff so sorry if the photos suck

1. the black crush on top and bottom
2.the black crush surrounds the space besides the left ear
3.the black crush protrudes the screen leaving only a small circle of picture

How bad is this? Defective panel that needs to returned?
help!
tv2.jpg
tv4.jpg

tv1.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your misquoting me. I don't have black crush issues. My issue is I have to crush black on purpose to avoid the horrible compression of Directv that affects dark areas. Any other source is fine.
Sorry, my mistake

Reactions: A8H

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's not black crush. You have a defective panel.
I thought that was textbook black crush. What kind of defect do I have?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I thought that was textbook black crush. What kind of defect do I have?
Black crush, is loss of detail in low light scenes and shadows. You have a improperly calibrated panel from the factory. It can't be fix any other way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Black crush, is loss of detail in low light scenes and shadows. You have a improperly calibrated panel from the factory. It can't be fix any other way.
I’m not sure. The film is low quality despite is in HD. I noticed the same artefact. Try another film, if is a problem from your tv, youshould see the same artefact (not only in 1 movie). Sorry for my English anyway.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I’m not sure. The film is low quality despite is in HD. I noticed the same artefact. Try another film, if is a problem from your tv, youshould see the same artefact (not only in 1 movie). Sorry for my English anyway.
I have it seen in
LOTR Fellowship blu ray
52 Pickup cable
1917 cable
Shane cable

and others I can't think of right now

BTW last night I was watching Maltese Flacon on TCM, and in 1 scene I had a slight pinkish color banding in a b&w film. Strange!

·
Registered
157 Posts
The dark scenes in this movie is very horrible. The only thing different from mine a8h is the flash/light at the center of screen from your red pic. The mine is not so light, but normal. And the dark black around the picture is slightly low. But the movie is not good.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts