AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a nice TV. I haven't finished reading the manual. There's a lot to learn since I'm replacing a non-Android 40W600B.

The X800H comes in several sizes: 43, 49, 55, 65, 75, and 85.

Since there was no thread for this series, it's my chance to give it a home. More later.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I wasn't going to go 4k until there was more content, but a virus changed my mind. I have the 43" version: https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x800h-series I have quite a few peripherals to get working though. My 4k devices are a Roku Ultra (4660RW), an Amazon Fire TV and a TiVo Mini VOX. Right now everything feeds a Yamaha RX-V867, but that's 2k, so I need a 4k AVR. I love the AVR and it works as good as the day I installed it. It has 5 HDMI inputs and the new models only have 4. So some changes are required. It's configured for 5.1, and my current viewing space, sort of small, would be good enough. I also have three TiVo Roamio units, a TiVo Premiere and Sony S6500. The Roamio boxes are only 2k. My cable is encrypted, so no need for direct TV viewing. Right now my cable feed has changed 107 of the channels to clear QAM, I can watch them for the rest of the month.

Funny: Amazon sent me a 49X950H by mistake. I would have kept it, but my space is just too small. It took a week to fix that.

No power switch. I miss that.

More to come.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is a nice TV. I haven't finished reading the manual. There's a lot to learn since I'm replacing a non-Android 40W600B.

The X800H comes in several sizes: 43, 49, 55, 65, 75, and 85.

Since there was no thread for this series, it's my chance to give it a home. More later.
Hey JOE,
Please tell me if u know, do those legs HAVE to be attached only at two assigned places? TKS

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey JOE,
Please tell me if u know, do those legs HAVE to be attached only at two assigned places? TKS
Yes. They have pre-set locations, left & right. For my 43", the spread is 21.5" and depth is 11.25". If I still lived in CA I would secure it to the wall.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How's it going with this TV?

I'm thinking about replacing my projector with a big TV as I do most of my viewing in ambient light.

The X800H seems to score some major points with its exceptionally good grey uniformity. Generally more important to me than the best contrast, and since I'm coming from a projector the blacks will probably look great.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How's it going with this TV?
I'm thinking about replacing my projector with a big TV as I do most of my viewing in ambient light.
The X800H seems to score some major points with its exceptionally good grey uniformity. Generally more important to me than the best contrast, and since I'm coming from a projector the blacks will probably look great.
I agree with the good grey uniformity. I haven't done any type of calibration yet, except to drop the brightness. Blacks are good. Too good, so that's why I need to fiddle. I've decided to upgrade my AVR to 4k, so things aren't finished. I have some new cables on order, but things are slow due to the virus.

I watch a lot of TV, but 90% of live TV is feeds from on-line to the studios. Not the best test. I'm probably not the best person to judge quality since this is my first 4k and most of my content is 1080i. I don't feel ambient light will be a problem. The inputs default to Vivid, which can cause eye damage. :)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Just got the 75" version yesterday, so far I like it and was glad I didn't opt for the 85", was so close lol.

It has been awhile since I calibrated a TV and was hoping for some tips or maybe calibration numbers already posted.

I really wanted the 900 but got such a great deal on the 800 which made it hard to pass up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
I wasn't going to go 4k until there was more content, but a virus changed my mind. I have the 43" version: https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x800h-series I have quite a few peripherals to get working though. My 4k devices are a Roku Ultra (4660RW), an Amazon Fire TV and a TiVo Mini VOX. Right now everything feeds a Yamaha RX-V867, but that's 2k, so I need a 4k AVR. I love the AVR and it works as good as the day I installed it. It has 5 HDMI inputs and the new models only have 4. So some changes are required. It's configured for 5.1, and my current viewing space, sort of small, would be good enough. I also have three TiVo Roamio units, a TiVo Premiere and Sony S6500. The Roamio boxes are only 2k. My cable is encrypted, so no need for direct TV viewing. Right now my cable feed has changed 107 of the channels to clear QAM, I can watch them for the rest of the month.

Funny: Amazon sent me a 49X950H by mistake. I would have kept it, but my space is just too small. It took a week to fix that.

No power switch. I miss that.

More to come.
Hot damn.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hot damn.
That was my feeling too. I bought a smaller AVR, Yamaha RX-485, and new cables. I have everything setup now, and still need to read the manual. I do prefer the Sony interface and am not so happy with Android. But it keeps the price lower. One thing I'm still getting used to: that black screen when switching to commercials is really black. I guess that $1200 came at the right time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Guys, Picked up 75X800H yesterday. It’s all working fine with the exception of poor contrast/blooming specially during dark scenes. Tried tweaking settings including Rtings recommended ones but no luck.

Any suggestions or calibrated settings?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
After lots of research we just ordered a 43x800h. RTINGS calibrations are here. The 2020 models are greatly improved from 2019, according to rtings, and we plan to use ours as a Monitor for working from home. It just seems crazy that a regular desktop monitor costs from $350-$2000 and they are all using 2015 technology in terms of price/performance (i.e. you can get HDR10, High Color Gamut, and Area dimming in a 32" desktop monitor, it will just cost you $2000 minimum, that's all.)

I wish somebody made a 40" or 43" IPS TV with HDR10, Quantum Dots, and Area Dimming. Vizio was close with the $399 M437-g0 but those sold out nationwide about 1 month ago and they do not plan to offer them in 2020. Also, those TVs had pretty bad viewing angles. They were bad because there was a very steep drop in brightness and color from 10-25 degrees, very noticeable, then they leveled off (just above the rtings thresholds) before nosediving again.

This new TV is our second 43" monitor - our first was a TCL S405. Say what you will about the TCL S405 but it has the best viewing angles for a raw VA panel, ever. Still, those viewing angles aren't good enough to keep the corners from looking funny and washed out, and the S405 is just to dim to use with a mac latop which is 2x brighter (log scale). There is a mode with Mac laptops that wastes about 3 inches around the entire 4K display, and the TCL S405 is WAY BETTER with that mode turned on (however, it would be a 37/43 * 4K display = 3.5K monitor). The 2018 TCL 43S405 has a VA panel with imho a better viewing angle curve than all other VA panels except ones with special filters, like a Samsung Q90R, Q80R, or Q90T.

For people new to 4K TV I recommend you watch these demos:

(Scotland in plain 4K)
(Costa Rica in 4K HDR10)
(Cooking in 4K HDR10 - an OLED / area dimming benchmark)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bluetooth issue?

Went and picked up the 55” model of this TV yesterday from Best Buy. Haven’t done a deep dive with it yet, but from a high-level first glance: Fairly easy setup, great picture, AirPlay support is precise, and all the streaming features are pretty solid.

The one issue right now is that it won’t pair with the Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. The TV just keeps searching but doesn’t show any Bluetooth devices. Headphone pairs just fine with cell phones and also the MPOW transmitter I was hoping not to have to use anymore. I’ve followed Sony’s troubleshooting steps on their site for Bluetooth pairing issues but nothing seems to work.

Only thing I haven’t tried is a full system reset of the TV (why would I need to do that when it’s brand new?). I’d rather not have to go through the whole setup process again, but this is a pretty important feature so the TV won’t be of much use if Bluetooth isn’t working.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Went and picked up the 55” model of this TV yesterday from Best Buy. Haven’t done a deep dive with it yet, but from a high-level first glance: Fairly easy setup, great picture, AirPlay support is precise, and all the streaming features are pretty solid.

The one issue right now is that it won’t pair with the Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. The TV just keeps searching but doesn’t show any Bluetooth devices. Headphone pairs just fine with cell phones and also the MPOW transmitter I was hoping not to have to use anymore. I’ve followed Sony’s troubleshooting steps on their site for Bluetooth pairing issues but nothing seems to work.

Only thing I haven’t tried is a full system reset of the TV (why would I need to do that when it’s brand new?). I’d rather not have to go through the whole setup process again, but this is a pretty important feature so the TV won’t be of much use if Bluetooth isn’t working.
I don't use Bluetooth so I can't comment on that feature, but I am having trouble with the built-in WiFi network adapter. I have 2 of these X800H models, granted in different rooms, but while one of them can connect just fine to the 5 GHz wireless network, the 2nd one cannot. It keeps saying "password not accepted" for the 5 GHz network even though I am 100% confident the password I am using is correct. I don't think it's a range issue, because the TV shows medium signal strength for that network. And this same TV can connect to the 2.4 GHz network just fine, so I don't think there is a hardware issue (especially since I am using the correct password and the error is "password not accepted"). Has anybody encountered something similar or have a known workaround? I was going to try to "forget" the network and try again but the settings menu doesn't offer that option until you've actually successfully connected (and added) that network.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was going to try to "forget" the network and try again but the settings menu doesn't offer that option until you've actually successfully connected (and added) that network.
I haven't had any network problems, but (just a guess) try turning off the router and see if the error changes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I did power off and reboot the router (as well as power-cycled the TV) and tried some other obvious stuff (like broadcasting SSID even though it could connect to the hidden SSID on the 2.4 Ghz network just fine). I haven't tried WPS so I will try that next.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestion. I did power off and reboot the router (as well as power-cycled the TV) and tried some other obvious stuff (like broadcasting SSID even though it could connect to the hidden SSID on the 2.4 Ghz network just fine). I haven't tried WPS so I will try that next.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant power off the router. Then try the password. It can't be a router error if it's powered off. It may break you out of the loop.

I used my W600B at 2.4GHz for years and never had a speed issue. I live in a semi-rural area so there's not a lot of other signals to cause interference. I'm using channel 39 at 5GHz with the X800H now. My viewing room has almost a dozen wireless devices on different bands and channels without problems. My router (Netgear R8300) is downstairs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Turns out the Sony (or Android) error message is misleading. It said password not valid but the underlying problem is the 5 GHz band is only getting -80db signal at that location, so it likely never authenticates properly (let alone maintains a connection long enough for any usable period of acceptable quality anyway). 2.4 GHz is working fine (not ideal, but tolerable), I just preferred to maximize speed on a less congested band, but it may not ever happen unless I reconfigure my home network. Thanks for the suggestions though!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I picked up a 43" 800H last week. Got it all mounted and it worked fine. Then today, it simply wouldn't turn on. I tried different power outlets, made sure the power cable was plugged in properly both at the TV and the PSU, and no dice. Any idea? I will likely see if Best Buy will exchange it for me, but I have already thrown out all the packaging...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I picked up a 43" 800H last week. Got it all mounted and it worked fine. Then today, it simply wouldn't turn on. I tried different power outlets, made sure the power cable was plugged in properly both at the TV and the PSU, and no dice. Any idea? I will likely see if Best Buy will exchange it for me, but I have already thrown out all the packaging...
If you have a multi-meter you could see if the brick is working. I would call BB to see if they will test it for you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts