AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I pulled the trigger on the 85”. I have a dedicated theatre room that currently has a 65” LG B7. Ive never been satisfied with its size and I miss gaming. I had projectors prior to going 4k, I miss the impactful image size. I also could not stand the ABL and the out of box picture setting are from accurate. I dont have my C6 meter anymore and I would need to upgrade my software, I can’t be bothered.

Anyway, I’m excited to own a Sony and the price couldn’t be beat, out of box accuracy for greyscale and color appears to be highly accurate according to reviews. The only thing that has me worried is the black levels but now knowing it’s a VA I’m relieved. Has anyone seen the85”? Mine doesn’t arrive until Thursday.
Please update I bought the 75in but havent received it yet I really want the 85 in. Let us know the contrast ratio and if its still very bright PLEASE

·
Registered
642 Posts
Mine arrived. I through on My calibration discs. The 85” is 100% VA. No question about it. When I set the brightness to 5 for SDR the blacks are pretty good. HDR brightness at max and black bars look greyish. It doesn’t have great blacks but it has great shadow detail. Now having said that I had a Vizio M and P. With HDR the black bars look slightly worse than the M from 2018. The tv is stunning. Superb colour accuracy out of the box. I have no reason to calibrate. Detail is insane. And this sucker gets bright. SDR is very bright. 5 is a good spot for my room. Enhanced congrats must be set to High for SDR content. If not it clips above white reference. Not a big deal but for those who like a lot of highlight detail.

Speaking of highlights- they really pop but look natural with HDR. That’s my complaint about HDR is on some sets it can look fake. Not this 800. I was worried I would miss my OLED in my dedicated space but the 85” at 9ft away is so cinematic and gaming is unreal on it. Really happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
@a_u_almulhim : that link is the page within consumerreports that has the settings !
Copy Cant see it unless U subscribe
@a_u_almulhim : that link is the page within consumerreports that has the settings !
@ rosstg: if you tweak on the settings from BOTH www.rtings.com & https://www.consumerreports.org/products/tvs-28963/tvs-28700/sony-xbr-75x800h-400891/#brands:158219; you may be pleasantly surprised!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just did the next best thing...copy & paste!! Optimized Picture Settings

PICTURE SETTINGS
Picture Mode: Custom
Aspect ratio: Full (Display Area: Full Pixel)
Contrast: 90
Black Level: 51
Gamma: Min
Color: 55
Hue: R6
Sharpness: 35
Color Temperature: Expert1
Brightness: 27
CineMotion: Auto
HDR Mode: Auto
HDMI Video Range: Auto
Color Space: Auto.
All other settings should be set to "off" or zero "0." Any individual R,G, or B color subcontrols, if present, should remain at their default settings.

TV FIRMWARE: All models are evaluated using the latest firmware version available at the time of testing. The firmware version of the Sony XBR-75X800H was: PKG6.4770.0615NAA.

HOW TO ADJUST YOUR TV SETTINGS: Our expert TV testers recommend the above settings for the Sony XBR-75X800H to get your image looking like the rated picture quality we saw in our lab. The settings shown are available when your playback device (i.e. cable box) is connected to the TV’s HDMI input. Some settings may not be adjustable when streaming videos directly on the TV. To access the picture controls find the Menu, Home, Settings, or "Gear" icon on your remote or on-screen display, and navigate to the picture settings menu where you’ll see most of the controls. To find some other controls you may additionally have to enter the "advanced settings" or the "picture options" sub-menus (name may vary depending on model). Don’t worry about making any "mistakes." You can always reset the picture settings to factory default if necessary. Consult your user manual for additional guidance.

ABOUT CR’s OPTIMIZED PICTURE SETTINGS: Our fine-tuned picture adjustments are made with the support of special test patterns and reference videos to yield the best image fidelity. A professionally calibrated reference display is used for comparison. Whether you are watching movies on Blu-ray or sports from your cable box, these settings will ensure you are seeing the programs in the best quality that the model can offer, short of a professional calibration. When we optimize the image, we typically turn off special features (or turn down their settings) that can degrade performance, including; power saving modes (which often dim the image), sharpness, noise reduction (also known as DNR, a feature that can degrade image detail), and "motion smoothing," if present (an effect that can give movies a soap-opera video-like appearance). Optimal settings for your TV may vary a bit from ours due to slight variations between similar samples, or due to a newer version of the TV’s firmware.

ABOUT CR’s TV VIEWING CONDITIONS: Our picture settings are optimized for a darker viewing environment. If you are viewing primarily in a brightly-lit room, we suggest raising the Backlight control (not the Contrast) to brighten the image to a level that looks suitable. Additionally, you may want to lower the Gamma setting (if available) by one or two increments to better reveal darker shadow detail. If the settings we recommend don’t suit your taste or your viewing environment, use the picture controls to achieve an image you consider "just right."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Please update I bought the 75in but havent received it yet I really want the 85 in. Let us know the contrast ratio and if its still very bright PLEASE
Mine arrived. I through on My calibration discs. The 85” is 100% VA. No question about it. When I set the brightness to 5 for SDR the blacks are pretty good. HDR brightness at max and black bars look greyish. It doesn’t have great blacks but it has great shadow detail. Now having said that I had a Vizio M and P. With HDR the black bars look slightly worse than the M from 2018. The tv is stunning. Superb colour accuracy out of the box. I have no reason to calibrate. Detail is insane. And this sucker gets bright. SDR is very bright. 5 is a good spot for my room. Enhanced congrats must be set to High for SDR content. If not it clips above white reference. Not a big deal but for those who like a lot of highlight detail.

Speaking of highlights- they really pop but look natural with HDR. That’s my complaint about HDR is on some sets it can look fake. Not this 800. I was worried I would miss my OLED in my dedicated space but the 85” at 9ft away is so cinematic and gaming is unreal on it. Really happy with the purchase.
I just did the next best thing...copy & paste!! Optimized Picture Settings

PICTURE SETTINGS
Picture Mode: Custom
Aspect ratio: Full (Display Area: Full Pixel)
Contrast: 90
Black Level: 51
Gamma: Min
Color: 55
Hue: R6
Sharpness: 35
Color Temperature: Expert1
Brightness: 27
CineMotion: Auto
HDR Mode: Auto
HDMI Video Range: Auto
Color Space: Auto.
All other settings should be set to "off" or zero "0." Any individual R,G, or B color subcontrols, if present, should remain at their default settings.

TV FIRMWARE: All models are evaluated using the latest firmware version available at the time of testing. The firmware version of the Sony XBR-75X800H was: PKG6.4770.0615NAA.

HOW TO ADJUST YOUR TV SETTINGS: Our expert TV testers recommend the above settings for the Sony XBR-75X800H to get your image looking like the rated picture quality we saw in our lab. The settings shown are available when your playback device (i.e. cable box) is connected to the TV’s HDMI input. Some settings may not be adjustable when streaming videos directly on the TV. To access the picture controls find the Menu, Home, Settings, or "Gear" icon on your remote or on-screen display, and navigate to the picture settings menu where you’ll see most of the controls. To find some other controls you may additionally have to enter the "advanced settings" or the "picture options" sub-menus (name may vary depending on model). Don’t worry about making any "mistakes." You can always reset the picture settings to factory default if necessary. Consult your user manual for additional guidance.

ABOUT CR’s OPTIMIZED PICTURE SETTINGS: Our fine-tuned picture adjustments are made with the support of special test patterns and reference videos to yield the best image fidelity. A professionally calibrated reference display is used for comparison. Whether you are watching movies on Blu-ray or sports from your cable box, these settings will ensure you are seeing the programs in the best quality that the model can offer, short of a professional calibration. When we optimize the image, we typically turn off special features (or turn down their settings) that can degrade performance, including; power saving modes (which often dim the image), sharpness, noise reduction (also known as DNR, a feature that can degrade image detail), and "motion smoothing," if present (an effect that can give movies a soap-opera video-like appearance). Optimal settings for your TV may vary a bit from ours due to slight variations between similar samples, or due to a newer version of the TV’s firmware.

ABOUT CR’s TV VIEWING CONDITIONS: Our picture settings are optimized for a darker viewing environment. If you are viewing primarily in a brightly-lit room, we suggest raising the Backlight control (not the Contrast) to brighten the image to a level that looks suitable. Additionally, you may want to lower the Gamma setting (if available) by one or two increments to better reveal darker shadow detail. If the settings we recommend don’t suit your taste or your viewing environment, use the picture controls to achieve an image you consider "just right."
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
My 43X800H received a software update. It shows 20.01.01.037. My remote also received an update. I think all they changed were the privacy settings.

update: one of the inputs is now called Sony Select and it takes you to the apps.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ok so I’ve spend a week with this beast and I’m quite happy. I came from a 65” OLED in my dedicated space.

I tried the Rtings settings and found it too bin for HD. I left the brightness at 40. Did not change any settings but switched off Adv Contrast. I left the custom default motion settings.

If you lower the brightness to 3-5 which is what Rtings recommends the blacks do appear more dark but at the expense of dimness.

The Sony beats my OLED in color and detail and motion. Obviously the blacks are not black but grey but the image looks fantastic with a lot more shadow detail.

DV dark looks fantastic as well. My one complaint is if you change settings for Bluray it ports over to HDR. Not really an issue since I left them as is.

At 9ft away from the 85” the image is huge and bright. Highlights pop in HDR but it’s the color that has my in love. Wow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok so I’ve spend a week with this beast and I’m quite happy. I came from a 65” OLED in my dedicated space.

I tried the Rtings settings and found it too bin for HD. I left the brightness at 40. Did not change any settings but switched off Adv Contrast. I left the custom default motion settings.

If you lower the brightness to 3-5 which is what Rtings recommends the blacks do appear more dark but at the expense of dimness.

The Sony beats my OLED in color and detail and motion. Obviously the blacks are not black but grey but the image looks fantastic with a lot more shadow detail.

DV dark looks fantastic as well. My one complaint is if you change settings for Bluray it ports over to HDR. Not really an issue since I left them as is.

At 9ft away from the 85” the image is huge and bright. Highlights pop in HDR but it’s the color that has my in love. Wow.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi I see you quoted me but didn’t reply.

I highly suggest going with the 85” over the 75”

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks 4 the update, think im switching my 75" for the 85. I think the VA panel will make a difference and give me better blacks

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks 4 the update, think im switching my 75" for the 85. I think the VA panel will make a difference and give me better blacks
It will have better blacks but don’t expect a night and day difference. But I love the new panel.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts