AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pulled the trigger on the 75" today at 1199... just too good a price to ignore. I have a 3 year old 65" x800c that'll get shuffled off to bedroom TV duty but has been perfectly fine minus annoying Android/Hulu issue which means using a firestick for that app. Sound wasa bleh but I added a soundbar with seperate sub and now I get yelled at a lot for it being too loud.

Thanks for the settings copied and pasted above, that;s what I came here hoping for:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pulled the trigger on the 75" today at 1199... just too good a price to ignore. I have a 3 year old 65" x800c that'll get shuffled off to bedroom TV duty but has been perfectly fine minus annoying Android/Hulu issue which means using a firestick for that app. Sound wasa bleh but I added a soundbar with seperate sub and now I get yelled at a lot for it being too loud.

Thanks for the settings copied and pasted above, that;s what I came here hoping for:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
@ Jos Terrell, don't fergit the recommended settings found on this site www.rtings.com. Pick & choose what you like and enjoy! I found the recommended settings saved time and I or anyone can tweak them at anytime!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought it for 999 and I expect the price to continue to drop back down to 999 soon but 119o is good too. Im still torn about this tv and I haven't received it yet. I keep pushing the delivery date back. Im leaning towards thee 85 inch now but im hoping for the x900h to drop to 2gs or the x900f to drop if I can find one

·
Registered
290 Posts
@ Elovesonytv & rosstg...congrats on your HUGE TV sets. The VA panels don't allow for much viewing angles but as wide as a 85" & 75" TV are you may never watch outside of the TV's parameters. In 2019 I purchased a 2019 50" Sammy w/ VA panel and the viewing angle was horrible so I returned in within 6 days!!

Don't u fellers make a mistake of crashing into the TV thinking your diving into a lake being displayed on the TV!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
643 Posts
So I discovered a feature that brings this panel up a notch or two or three.

Adv. Enhanced contrast should be set to high. Anything enhanced should be set to off but in the Sony H series High is correct. If turned off or left at low above reference white is clipped. Starting at 235. If set to High all blocks are visible up 252. Not only does is resolve more detail it enhances black levels. It makes for a brighter picture - more punchy. I left on high for HDR/DV as well.

I also left Reality Creation on the default setting of 20. It doesn’t introduce artifacts and really creates more detail similar to Darbee.

I did the firmware last night and it appears the black levels have improved. At first I thought it was my eyes deceiving me but I notice darker blacks.

Reactions: beerhunt

·
Registered
290 Posts
rosstg!! you da man!! your suggestions really made a remarkable improvement as well as the recent update on my mom's 49" x800h! My mom is 92 years of age and she even noticed the increased blacks and the overall colors on her Spectrum Cable feed!
Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don’t have the panel yet. Since it’s a VA panel I assume they won’t be great but I’m only sitting 9 feet away so it won’t matter.
I believe you have tv by now. Can you rate the viewing angle quality? Thanks.

Sent from my J9210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts

Unfortunately I returned it. I couldn’t live with the poor contrast. I upgraded to the 900H

Reactions: Elovesonytv

·
Registered
643 Posts
rosstg!! you da man!! your suggestions really made a remarkable improvement as well as the recent update on my mom's 49" x800h! My mom is 92 years of age and she even noticed the increased blacks and the overall colors on her Spectrum Cable feed!
Thanks!
Glad she likes it. It’s a great tv but it’s not for me. The black levels were too shallow for me in the end. A 900H became available for delivery on the 24th so I had to jump on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unfortunately I returned it. I couldn’t live with the poor contrast. I upgraded to the 900H
Glad she likes it. It’s a great tv but it’s not for me. The black levels were too shallow for me in the end. A 900H became available for delivery on the 24th so I had to jump on it.
[/QUO

Its that bad?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine arrived. I through on My calibration discs. The 85” is 100% VA. No question about it. When I set the brightness to 5 for SDR the blacks are pretty good. HDR brightness at max and black bars look greyish. It doesn’t have great blacks but it has great shadow detail. Now having said that I had a Vizio M and P. With HDR the black bars look slightly worse than the M from 2018. The tv is stunning. Superb colour accuracy out of the box. I have no reason to calibrate. Detail is insane. And this sucker gets bright. SDR is very bright. 5 is a good spot for my room. Enhanced congrats must be set to High for SDR content. If not it clips above white reference. Not a big deal but for those who like a lot of highlight detail.

Speaking of highlights- they really pop but look natural with HDR. That’s my complaint about HDR is on some sets it can look fake. Not this 800. I was worried I would miss my OLED in my dedicated space but the 85” at 9ft away is so cinematic and gaming is unreal on it. Really happy with the purchase.
Damn Sir U went from outstanding picture quality to returning it

·
Registered
643 Posts
Damn Sir U went from outstanding picture quality to returning it
The picture is very good - but the contrast is very low especially with UHD’s. My initial findings were based on non IHD viewing.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Hey How it going with your tv

Hows it going with your tv

·
Registered
583 Posts
It's been several years since I last posted here. Back in '09 with my Sony 52W4100, followed by my 46z-series. Replaced the W4100 after it quit in 2014 with a 60" Vizio.

This weekend, I stepped up big with the 85X800H. It's in a brightly-lit family room so the very best picture quality is not desired. Still impressed with this TV though, a bit overwhelmed with the size right now, and considering exchanging for the 75". Giving myself until after Xmas to see if I get accustomed to the size.

My HDMI cables are also from 2009 or 2014 so they're not coping well with the ARC between the TV and G700 soundbar I picked up with it; gotta pull the TV down and replace all cables this weekend.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi all, is the contrast really as poor as reviews say on the 800x ? I’m done with the tcl panel lottery... long sorry there, their Panels are garbage...

anyway, I’m looking for a decent 65” starting the process all over, it was the tcl series 5 65” inch. I would not be using the tv for video games so the options of the 900 don’t interest me for the price point. If tcl didn’t use such **** panels the tv would have worked fine for me (cable/steaming/movies) the pq was very good.. ahh I don’t want to talk about that tv or brand right now...

what’s drawing me away from the 800’is contrast ratio and it does not have the ability to remove judder from native apps ? I’ve read it’s got some bad ips glow....

thanks for the help !

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Does anyone know how to control the items on the Input list? Since they added Sony Select the list keeps growing.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts