AVS Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all, is the contrast really as poor as reviews say on the 800x ? I’m done with the tcl panel lottery... long sorry there, their Panels are garbage...

anyway, I’m looking for a decent 65” starting the process all over, it was the tcl series 5 65” inch. I would not be using the tv for video games so the options of the 900 don’t interest me for the price point. If tcl didn’t use such **** panels the tv would have worked fine for me (cable/steaming/movies) the pq was very good.. ahh I don’t want to talk about that tv or brand right now...

what’s drawing me away from the 800’is contrast ratio and it does not have the ability to remove judder from native apps ? I’ve read it’s got some bad ips glow....

thanks for the help !
What did U decide?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all, is the contrast really as poor as reviews say on the 800x ? I’m done with the tcl panel lottery... long sorry there, their Panels are garbage...

anyway, I’m looking for a decent 65” starting the process all over, it was the tcl series 5 65” inch. I would not be using the tv for video games so the options of the 900 don’t interest me for the price point. If tcl didn’t use such **** panels the tv would have worked fine for me (cable/steaming/movies) the pq was very good.. ahh I don’t want to talk about that tv or brand right now...

what’s drawing me away from the 800’is contrast ratio and it does not have the ability to remove judder from native apps ? I’ve read it’s got some bad ips glow....

thanks for the help !
Did u buy the 800h

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's been several years since I last posted here. Back in '09 with my Sony 52W4100, followed by my 46z-series. Replaced the W4100 after it quit in 2014 with a 60" Vizio.

This weekend, I stepped up big with the 85X800H. It's in a brightly-lit family room so the very best picture quality is not desired. Still impressed with this TV though, a bit overwhelmed with the size right now, and considering exchanging for the 75". Giving myself until after Xmas to see if I get accustomed to the size.

My HDMI cables are also from 2009 or 2014 so they're not coping well with the ARC between the TV and G700 soundbar I picked up with it; gotta pull the TV down and replace all cables this weekend.
Hows the tv

·
Registered
583 Posts
85" is not too big... nope. I got new cables, but I think the ones I have from 2014 are already high speed HDMI with ARC. The TV is great! Now I'm not looking for the best PQ, I doubt I would notice a difference if I had the 950, given the bright room it's in and it's usage... news and everyday programming. Thinking of getting a 50" in the same model for the bedroom.

Reactions: Elovesonytv

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a nice TV. I haven't finished reading the manual. There's a lot to learn since I'm replacing a non-Android 40W600B.

The X800H comes in several sizes: 43, 49, 55, 65, 75, and 85.

Since there was no thread for this series, it's my chance to give it a home. More later.
I just purchased this tv, and agree it seems to be a great set. One question for anyone: I'm looking for a Britbox (streaming) app to install on my tv, and I do not see one. When I search the Google Play Store, Britbox doesn't appear. Is there somewhere else I go to download this, or is it even available for the X800H? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I just purchased this tv, and agree it seems to be a great set. One question for anyone: I'm looking for a Britbox (streaming) app to install on my tv, and I do not see one. When I search the Google Play Store, Britbox doesn't appear. Is there somewhere else I go to download this, or is it even available for the X800H? Thanks!
It doesn't look like it yet. See:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nortond....since this is an Android TV device it may be possible to side load it. Open a browser and search for Britbox apk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought the 55" for our living room the weekend before Thanksgiving, after our 10 year old 46" XH800 crapped out. Didn't really think twice about sticking with the "800" product line as our first 4k TV, after getting a decade out of the last one.

No complaints about the picture. It's amazing. The sound is meh -- so was the old 46" -- but that's what sound bars are for. Hopefully this is just the beginning of another decade long relationship.

Oh, and long time lurker, first time poster.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also, I understand this does not have local dimming, and only 60hz refresh rate, instead of 120hz, that the X900H has. For someone who has zero interest in gaming, would this make a good alternative to the X900H?

If this is full-array, but no local dimming, what am I gaining or losing being a TV show watcher on Roku cable TV app, streaming TV shows, and streaming movies in a very dark room all of the time?

Lastly, is the 65-inch and 75-inch an IPS or VA panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
Also, I understand this does not have local dimming, and only 60hz refresh rate, instead of 120hz, that the X900H has. For someone who has zero interest in gaming, would this make a good alternative to the X900H?

If this is full-array, but no local dimming, what am I gaining or losing being a TV show watcher on Roku cable TV app, streaming TV shows, and streaming movies in a very dark room all of the time?

Lastly, is the 65-inch and 75-inch an IPS or VA panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 65" X800H is definitely IPS. I'm not sure about the 75".

In a very dark room, as you describe, an IPS television is going to have a background glow effect, it can't produce dark blacks (black will look dark gray). In dark scenes, this means the picture may look cloudy or washed out. If you are going to put the TV in a "very dark" room, the X900H is probably the better choice because it is a VA panel and will be able to produce deeper blacks, better contrast, and less clouding.

The advantage of IPS is that it typically has somewhat better viewing angles than VA, so it is suitable for something like a bar or rec room where the room will not be too dark, and people sit at angles to the screen.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Bought the 55" for our living room the weekend before Thanksgiving, after our 10 year old 46" XH800 crapped out. Didn't really think twice about sticking with the "800" product line as our first 4k TV, after getting a decade out of the last one.

No complaints about the picture. It's amazing. The sound is meh -- so was the old 46" -- but that's what sound bars are for. Hopefully this is just the beginning of another decade long relationship.

Oh, and long time lurker, first time poster.
As an IPS panel, in reviews the X800H generally gets some points knocked off for not being able to produce deep black, so dark scenes may look cloudy or washed out. This effect would be most obvious in a dark room. Have you noticed any issues with this?

121 - 134 of 134 Posts