AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 914 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I’m having “The Apple TV is having trouble maintaining a stable HDMI connection” issues. Mostly happens soon after I turn on the TV or when switching from another HDMI input. I have both my hdmis directly on the soundbar though. Im considering switching to one of the inputs of the TV
and living with the supposed drop in sound quality.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does anyone else think the voices for some content is greatly overpowered by everything else or that the vocals in general are not as loud as the other sounds? I honestly feel like vocals/voices get drown out and just arent clear/loud enough even when voice is set to 2. Would there be anything I could be missing with this bar?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Does anyone else think the voices for some content is greatly overpowered by everything else or that the vocals in general are not as loud as the other sounds? I honestly feel like vocals/voices get drown out and just arent clear/loud enough even when voice is set to 2. Would there be anything I could be missing with this bar?
Check the distances in setup to see that they're correct. I've found that the dialogue sounds much clearer than it did with my much pricier 5.1 system (can't use it in this house). I also tend to use Auto Sound, as it seems to use the best mode for the source. YMMV.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check the distances in setup to see that they're correct. I've found that the dialogue sounds much clearer than it did with my much pricier 5.1 system (can't use it in this house). I also tend to use Auto Sound, as it seems to use the best mode for the source. YMMV.
I do have it set to the exact distance. Should I change it to project further out maybe, like put in that Im sitting farther away than I actually am?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Have to say I'm pretty impressed by the little Z9F. I used to have the HT-ST5000 and I find the overall presentation of the Z9F to be pretty close. The Atmos effect is actually a lot more noticeable in my room with the Z9F than the ST5000. Watched Blade Runner 2049 in DV+Atmos last night and it sounded much larger than you'd think. I've had it for a few months and haven't had any real issues with it, save for the occasional ARC/no sound hiccup which is fixed by a power cycle. Initially I did have lip-sync issues when I changed from an older Sony TV (X850B) to a newer set (Z9D), but a soft reset on the TV took care of it.
Interesting to read this. I have the Z9f still in the box and saw the ST5000 on massdrop for just a little more than I paid for the Z9f. Ive been going back and forth on which to get.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting to read this. I have the Z9f still in the box and saw the ST5000 on massdrop for just a little more than I paid for the Z9f. Ive been going back and forth on which to get.
To be honest I haven't heard the ST-5000. I do own the Z9f and they do sound great. The one advantage I would think about is having the option to add rear speakers. I use the rear speakers and they do add another dimension to the sound. Again though, I am unfamiliar with the ST-5000 sound stage.

Either way, you will end up with an awesome product.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have zero problems with voices being clear on this bar.

What are you using as the audio source? Mind posting a screenshot of your settings?

·
Registered
449 Posts
This isn't a question so much as a vent. But if anyone has a solution ...

After spending in the neighborhood of $1,500 for the Z9F and Rears plus a Sony UPB-X800 Blu-ray player I have discovered I cannot play either the SACD or DVD-Audio discs for which I specifically bought the X800.

Turns out (page 76 of the Z9F manual): The HDMI IN 1 and 2 jacks do not support audio format that contains copy protections, such as Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio. (Discovered this, of course, after a couple of hours of fiddling with the settings of both.)

Well, that's frickin' great. One Sony product is incompatible with another? What the hell?

So, I think, maybe I can work around this if I use a digital connection. Nope. Blu-ray player has only coaxial digital OUT, and the SB has only optical IN.

This is insane.

·
Registered
199 Posts
This isn't a question so much as a vent. But if anyone has a solution ...

After spending in the neighborhood of $1,500 for the Z9F and Rears plus a Sony UPB-X800 Blu-ray player I have discovered I cannot play either the SACD or DVD-Audio discs for which I specifically bought the X800.

Turns out (page 76 of the Z9F manual): The HDMI IN 1 and 2 jacks do not support audio format that contains copy protections, such as Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio. (Discovered this, of course, after a couple of hours of fiddling with the settings of both.)

Well, that's frickin' great. One Sony product is incompatible with another? What the hell?

So, I think, maybe I can work around this if I use a digital connection. Nope. Blu-ray player has only coaxial digital OUT, and the SB has only optical IN.

This is insane.
There's probably a coaxial-optical audio converter available that can solve your problem. Check Amazon, etc.

·
Registered
449 Posts
There's probably a coaxial-optical audio converter available that can solve your problem. Check Amazon, etc.
Thanks, yeah, I tried that. No go. Tried optical to the bar with HDMI still conncected. No go.

Tried disc player to TV to bar: no go.

Tried disc player to TV and optical out to the bar: that worked, but I lost Dolby Atmos.

I've given up for now, but I'll get back to it in a few days and start from scratch, documenting each connection.

I did contact Sony support and they confirmed that the player will not output SACD/DVD-A over HDMI, they said it's a standard thing, not a Sony thing. I don't know. I had an Oppo DVD player a few years ago, played all discs with no issue. Life was simpler.

·
Registered
117 Posts

What are you using as the audio source? Mind posting a screenshot of your settings?
Sorry for such a late reply. Work has been insane as of late. Here are my setting - attached photos show them

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts

Sorry for such a late reply. Work has been insane as of late. Here are my setting - attached photos show them
Your settings are pretty much identical to mine. The problem is likely the source.

If you have an Apple TV you can try to enable the setting to lower loud sounds. I find this really helps with movies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cultofmac.com/396048/pro-tip-get-your-apple-tv-sounding-just-right/amp/

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your settings are pretty much identical to mine. The problem is likely the source.

If you have an Apple TV you can try to enable the setting to lower loud sounds. I find this really helps with movies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cultofmac.com/396048/pro-tip-get-your-apple-tv-sounding-just-right/amp/
By source Im assuming you mean what Im watching it through. I actually watch everything through my PS4 Pro. On games I usually have to go into settings and up the voice volume or tone down the music. Sometimes during movies voices get over powered. Like, it isnt absolutely horrible and it isnt all the time, but it can be not as clear.

Now on Youtube, if I watch music videos or live performances etc vocals are severely reduced compared to music. Sometimes its hard to hear what is being said.

Honestly though, thank you for taking the time to check this stuff.

·
Registered
181 Posts

By source Im assuming you mean what Im watching it through. I actually watch everything through my PS4 Pro. On games I usually have to go into settings and up the voice volume or tone down the music. Sometimes during movies voices get over powered. Like, it isnt absolutely horrible and it isnt all the time, but it can be not as clear.

Now on Youtube, if I watch music videos or live performances etc vocals are severely reduced compared to music. Sometimes its hard to hear what is being said.

I think that’s actually normal. Are you using the Auto Sound mode? I find it’s the best for most content.

Also try playing around with the Verical S button on the remote. Switching it off might give you more control of the volume.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I returned my unit a few weeks back. I started thinking maybe i just got a lemon. I re-purchased it from Amazon and it arrived yesterday.

First thing i noticed was that this package has the demo disc that was missing from my Best Buy unit (maybe they sold me a refurb?)

Second -- no audio dropouts! The connection is solid, and the sound is good.

Most importantly the lip sync issue is gone. I have a Sony A9F and I set AV sync to Always On instead of Auto and now internal apps have no lip sync problems!

Looks like all the problems i was having are now solved!

I have my xbox one x hooked up directly to my TV; i noticed this works better in terms of input lag than if i hook it directly up to the sound bar. But does this mean i won't get Atmos from UHD discs (i am using the xbox as my blu ray player)

Edit: Had to download some app for the Xbox One X to enable atmos on it. Now the blu ray player there is playing atmos over eARC, working great!

Now i just have to figure out why Plex/Kodi isn't getting Atmos audio to the sound bar, while Netflix is able to.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello, I personaly had the same issue since I unpacked my bar. I tried every possible settings (and landed on the one you got here), my setup is Apple Tv 4K directly connect to the ZF9 with the passthrough to the LG 55B8.
Unfortunately, the only convicing solution I got so far was ... to turn off all sound effects ! Then the songs in La La Land got wayyyyy clearer, and all dialog were crystal clear. As soon as I start using Sony Effect, everything seems drown out :( So I decided to live without the Vertical Sound Engine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Running the latest firmware. I've found for some reason only with my XBOX ONE X that the wireless to the rear speakers and sub will drop and eventually reconnect. It does this several times. Doesn't happen with PS4 Pro or nVidia Shield TV.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Hello, I personaly had the same issue since I unpacked my bar. I tried every possible settings (and landed on the one you got here), my setup is Apple Tv 4K directly connect to the ZF9 with the passthrough to the LG 55B8.
Unfortunately, the only convicing solution I got so far was ... to turn off all sound effects ! Then the songs in La La Land got wayyyyy clearer, and all dialog were crystal clear. As soon as I start using Sony Effect, everything seems drown out /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif So I decided to live without the Vertical Sound Engine.
What do you mean Sony Effect?

You know the problem of voices not being clear is probably the sound field you guys are using. Try Auto Sound or Standard.

You don’t have to use the “cinema” sound field for movies. That’s the mistake a lot of people make.

561 - 580 of 914 Posts