AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 966 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not disappointed in my purchase at all its exactly what i was waiting for!! Now its time to clean this living room up and get all these speakers off my wall and sell all the copper speaker wire lol😂 wait a couple days reviews of this sb will be coming in, not sure how sony can make those lil speakers dance around my living room like it does, if its all just to fool my ears they do a great job of fooling me!!! So bottom line is with movies anyways the lil speakers might fool my ears but sony didnt cause from what i hear from my ears this sb its doing exactly what sony said it was going to do!! No worries nor regret here cause i feel i made a great purchase.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks guys for pointing out that Best Buy has this in stock today. I just got back from picking one up with the surrounds. I've been waiting a few months for this bar to release.

Keep in mind this is my first soundbar. I'm coming from a 5.1 setup with Denon AVR, BIC subwoofer, and Polk Signature Series speakers. Decided I want to minimize my setup and this bar is my first attempt.

I just got everything hooked up but haven't had a chance to play with the settings or audition any movies just yet. Initial impressions are the surrounds are physically tiny compared to the Polk S15s I was using. Both Sony speakers including the box are the same size as one of my Polk S15s lol. Those are technically bookshelf speakers though and not the S10s I should have been using.

The Sony sub did surprise me physically though. It has a decent weight to it and is overall very sturdy. It's about the size of a mid PC tower. The back even looks like one.

I was impressed with the sound bar grill, I like the magnetic clip on style.

Anyone know if there are test tones available on this bar? I would love to be able to dial everything in.

I'll try to play a few movies later tonight and let everyone know how I like it.

My current setup includes a Vizio M75-E1 with ARC to the soundbar and a Roku Premier connected to HDMI 1 on the soundbar. App wise I have access to Vudu and Netflix via either the Roku or built in TV apps.

Unfortunately, the only 4k Vudu movie I currently own is Despicable Me 3.

Let me know if there is anything you guys would like me to test.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Don't forget the Sony packs it's 3.1 and quasi-Atmos features into 39 inches...most other higher end soundbars are a lot longer, if space considerations are a factor.

Paul

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well it turns out all I had to do was press the HOME button on the remote to get to all the good stuff. I completely skipped the entire setup and jumped to watching my Roku.

I found the speaker levels which appears to be separate from the level control on the remote for the surrounds and subwoofer. I decided to set the separate level controls on the remote to the mid point at 6 for both the surrounds and sub and then jumped into the menu for speaker levels. I left the LCR at 0db and cranked the volume until I reached 75db on my meter. I then began adjusting the sub and surrounds. The sub ended up matching the LCR at 0db but I had to up the surrounds to +5db.

I also went into the HDMI settings and changed HDMI1 from standard to enhanced. This allowed my roku to auto adjust to 4k HDR 60hz. Before it wasn't passing properly.

I'm currently watching Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Vocals are clear, bass is noticeable but not over powering, and the surrounds are nice and active. Dolby Digital Plus + Vertical Surround Engine is impressive so far.

I'm not sure I have access to any atomos content at the moment but so far I'm happy.

Edit: I just watched the first five minutes of Mad Max and I'm very impressed with the amount of sound this bar can produce.

·
Banned
829 Posts
Well it turns out all I had to do was press the HOME button on the remote to get to all the good stuff. I completely skipped the entire setup and jumped to watching my Roku.

I found the speaker levels which appears to be separate from the level control on the remote for the surrounds and subwoofer. I decided to set the separate level controls on the remote to the mid point at 6 for both the surrounds and sub and then jumped into the menu for speaker levels. I left the LCR at 0db and cranked the volume until I reached 75db on my meter. I then began adjusting the sub and surrounds. The sub ended up matching the LCR at 0db but I had to up the surrounds to +5db.

I also went into the HDMI settings and changed HDMI1 from standard to enhanced. This allowed my roku to auto adjust to 4k HDR 60hz. Before it wasn't passing properly.

I'm currently watching Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Vocals are clear, bass is noticeable but not over powering, and the surrounds are nice and active. Dolby Digital Plus + Vertical Surround Engine is impressive so far.

I'm not sure I have access to any atomos content at the moment but so far I'm happy.

Edit: I just watched the first five minutes of Mad Max and I'm very impressed with the amount of sound this bar can produce.
Last Jedi is Atmos on the 4K version.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know it's kind of been mentioned already but just a heads up for those struggling or those yet to get theirs delivered.

You need to go into settings and changed the HDMI inputs to Enhanced to get full enhanced 4K support. Another tip is there is an IR extender built into the unit but is off by default. Again, you can enable this in the settings.

To get true Dolby Atmos using my Xbox One X I had to enable audio to be Bitstream in the xbox audio settings. I was also prompted to download an Atmos app from the Xbox Store.

I'm quite impressed with the power of the sound but not entirely convinced the vertical effect is as great as the couple of reviews I have read. It's certainly a nice wide sound field. I have decided to order a set of rears.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I know it's kind of been mentioned already but just a heads up for those struggling or those yet to get theirs delivered.

You need to go into settings and changed the HDMI inputs to Enhanced to get full enhanced 4K support. Another tip is there is an IR extender built into the unit but is off by default. Again, you can enable this in the settings.

To get true Dolby Atmos using my Xbox One X I had to enable audio to be Bitstream in the xbox audio settings. I was also prompted to download an Atmos app from the Xbox Store.

I'm quite impressed with the power of the sound but not entirely convinced the vertical effect is as great as the couple of reviews I have read. It's certainly a nice wide sound field. I have decided to order a set of rears.
I have the surrounds and think I'd be a little disappointed without them. To me the surrounds are more important than Atmos.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the surrounds and think I'd be a little disappointed without them. To me the surrounds are more important than Atmos.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Is there a technical reason the zr5 rears don't work with this sound bar? It's a bummer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just realized that the title of this thread is "ZF9", but the SB is actually "Z9F" haha. Glad to see some reviews rolling in. Trying to decide between this and the N950 to go with the LG C7. Anyone have any compelling arguments to not wait for the pricier N950?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just realized that the title of this thread is "ZF9", but the SB is actually "Z9F" haha. Glad to see some reviews rolling in. Trying to decide between this and the N950 to go with the LG C7. Anyone have any compelling arguments to not wait for the pricier N950?
Sony is a better match for your LG. The Samsung won't support Dolby Vision passthrough, which is a key feature of your OLED.

At the N950's price you might want to think about putting together a 5.1.2 system with speakers and an AVR if you have the space. You can put together a 5.1.2 system that will beat these soundbars for ~$800 right now.

Reactions: MVXIMUS

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
vizio are also releasing a 5.1.2 as well as a 5.1.4 bar later this year i think.

the main reason you might want to wait is if you really want atmos and if that's the main reason you're upgrading, because those bars are i think going to be much better at that considering they have actual speakers for height effect. But in that case you could also consider a dedicated 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 system, which could cost around the same as the samsung bar i think. (the vizio bar might be cheaper not sure)

·
Registered
201 Posts
In Europe it's sold as the ZF9, but for the US it's Z9F.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sony is a better match for your LG. The Samsung won't support Dolby Vision passthrough, which is a key feature of your OLED.

At the N950's price you might want to think about putting together a 5.1.2 system with speakers and an AVR if you have the space. You can put together a 5.1.2 system that will beat these soundbars for ~$800 right now.
I have seen this thrown around quite a bit, what exactly are you buying to beat this soundbar completely for 800 dollars?

were talking a receiver, subwoofer and 7 speakers.

keep in mind not everyone lives in America either.

in Canadian prices that $800 to build a 5.1.2 setup with receiver that will totally blow this soundbar away seems basically impossible.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have seen this thrown around quite a bit, what exactly are you buying to beat this soundbar completely for 800 dollars?

were talking a receiver, subwoofer and 7 speakers.

keep in mind not everyone lives in America either.

in Canadian prices that $800 to build a 5.1.2 setup with receiver that will totally blow this soundbar away seems basically impossible.
I'm talking US dollars. $350 for a Denon S730, $300 for Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1 speakers, $150 for Onkyo upfiring Atmos modules. Cables not included!

If you bought this stuff on Amazon.com, you'd spend about $1000 CAD based on exchange rate. If you replace the Energy speakers with the Monoprice 5.1, that gets you down to about $860 CAD. Audyssey on the Denon will go a long way towards helping budget speakers outperform Atmos bars with no room correction.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I just picked up my soundbar and installed it. Works great with the TV apps and Chromecast, but cannot get sound from Windows Media Center. I am hooked up using ARC, and while Windows 7 sounds and Windows Media Center startup sounds work, when I try to play live or recorded TV shows, there is no sound, then the program crashes and says the audio files needed for playback are not installed. How do I set up my audio in Windows to send sound into the soundbar HDMI 1? I have choices for stereo, 5.1, and 7.1. I am assuming 5.1, because I need to send Dolby Digital Plus (as displayed on most program info screens) from the TV broadcasts to get the center channel correct? So my primary television source has no audio or playback until I resolve this.

As for initial impressions....sounds a bit tinny, with rumbling bass that sounds completely disconnected from the tinny soundbar audio...not too impressed so far for $979USD with tax. :-(

Paul

UPDATE * . Figured it out, must set the Windows PC to STEREO, and also set Windows Media Center to STEREO. On the soundbar, when playing back with STEREO setting in Windows, the bar displays Dolby Digital 5.1ch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As for initial impressions....sounds a bit tinny, with rumbling bass that sounds completely disconnected from the tinny soundbar audio...not too impressed so far for $979USD with tax. :-(
This is a little concerning :( I have to wait 2 weeks since It's apparently back ordered but I would hope it sounds better than that. I haven't seen anyone else report that yet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm talking US dollars. $350 for a Denon S730, $300 for Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1 speakers, $150 for Onkyo upfiring Atmos modules. Cables not included!

If you bought this stuff on Amazon.com, you'd spend about $1000 CAD based on exchange rate. If you replace the Energy speakers with the Monoprice 5.1, that gets you down to about $860 CAD. Audyssey on the Denon will go a long way towards helping budget speakers outperform Atmos bars with no room correction.
I have a seperate system for my game room which consists of 5.1 sony cores with a dayton sub-1200 and Denon avr x1300w

I'm looking at this soundbar for my living room where I don't want cables or speakers really, as It's more for family viewing.

I checked the price of the energy 5.1 on amazon.ca and its 750 + tax.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
This is a little concerning :( I have to wait 2 weeks since It's apparently back ordered but I would hope it sounds better than that. I haven't seen anyone else report that yet.
Sure more reviews from others to come...I need to find the "sweet spot" for subwoofer level, then crank it up a bit to see how it sounds when everything is in sync on a theatrical soundtrack instead of just TV 5.1 audio.

Paul

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Well I broke down and cancelled my online order and went up to Best Buy and picked up a Z9F yesterday afternoon (really hated paying the sales tax ;( ). Got home and unpacked everything and removed my Vizio 3.1 SB. Hooked up a configuration that I had worked out in my mind prior to purchase.
- ATV4K to SB HDMI 1 - Sony X700 UBP to SB HDMI 2. I then ran a 18GHZ certified cable to my X940E on HDMI 3 (arc). My Dish Hopper is on TV HDMI 4.
After playing with the settings and changing both HDMI 2&3 to Enhanced I first started with the ATV4K as I figured if there was going to be any problems it would be there. The reason being is that I have that set to output 4KSDR normally with match range/frame rate both on so it switches to HDR/DV automatically when playing that type content. Sure enough I ran into the problem that was talked about the first of the week in that I was getting audio but no video when playing a SDR show (the main pages of Netflix/Prime were fine but the screen went blank when starting a show). Playing something in HDR/DV worked fine. Needless to say this was depressing! I screwed around for a while with the ATV4K settings but that did not help the situation when set to 4KSDR. Finely I restarted the ATV4K and now I do believe it is working. I was able to view SDR content w/o problem. I didn't have much time at this point to evaluate further but will do some more today.
I played a regular bluray and a HDR bluray without problem from the X700.
As far as the "vertical S" I have had limited time so far in evaluating whether it's worth it or not. As mentioned above the SB gives a wider sound stage than my Vizio did but past that i'm not sure. I only had time to listen to part of one UHD disc that had Dolby Atmos. Bottom line so far is that i'm not overly impressed but will do more testing today and update thoughts. For $900 this sucker better give me some "warm feelings" about the purchase.
Gerry

Reactions: jb442386
81 - 100 of 966 Posts