AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an accurate description of what the Service Menu Items are (relate to). My Sony 32HS510 lists more options than I have been able to find on available sites.

I am specifically looking to improve my DRC. I have enabled the more advanced functions (fully adjustable) through the service menu (ID3 to 107) but it seems to have little effect. There was some discussion here about rather the Equipement was actually working or rather this was just software that wasn't connected to the hardware of the TV. I can see no difference when adjusting it.

However, while scrolling through the Service Menu I saw some items listed as DRCV (3 or 4 different settings I believe). Perhaps this turns something on. any Ideas. I cannot find these items listed on the AWH link of Sony Service menu items.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I think ADU or Monteal (it might have been someone else) posted this.

The Thread has info on what you are talking about.

Do a search in this Forum on Sony HS32510 and DRC functions you should find what your looking for. I remember the same thing as far as if the hardware is their to support these changes in the service menu, but I

don't remember what the final verdict was.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately that was no definitive conclusions reached in that thread. I have not noticed any difference myself, which was why I submitted the thread regarding possible OTHER Service Menu settings.

Has anyone from that thread reached any differing conclusions? Please post.

Thanks,

Joel

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I am very interested in the final conclusion of HS510 DRC V1 enabling. The purchase of an HS510 hinges upon it. I am posting the 34XBR800 DRCV catagory settings from the service manual below in the hopes that someone with a 34HS510 can determine if any of the settings differ. It may be that ID3 = 107 merely enables the menu but the DRCV settings may enable the function.

MFVR 0

ISEL 1

RF CV/YC V5/V6 480I DVI

ORES VIVID 128 128 128 128

STANDARD 128 128 128 128

MOVIE 128 128 133 128

PRO 128 128 133 128

RF CV/YC V5/V6 480I DVI

ONCT VIVID 128 128 128 128

STANDARD 128 128 128 128

MOVIE 128 128 128 128

PRO 128 128 133 133

CUSTOM1 CUSTOM2 CUSTOM3

AINI 0 49 79

BINI 24 54 89

FMAT 0

OTHER RF

FMTH 1 1

FSEL 1

CDLY 2

LMIT 0

VIVID STANDARD MOVIE PRO

LMLV 2 2 2 2

LMSL 1

VDLY 1

VDPR 3

WPLL 2

CRCT 0

SNNR

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

NRA 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

NRB 128 128 128 128 128 128 128

raouliii

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I haven't been able to determine anything yet. I did print the settings you posted but I haven't had time to verify them with my 32HS510. I also am not sure if the 32 and 34 will have the same settings but I will try to work on this over the weekend.

I DID enable the DRC variable Adjustments menu (through the Service Menu) and have not seen a noticeable difference. I DO plan to look into these other adjustments though.

I will say that watching the TV over the last week that the problem with the Pixelization seems to be less noticeable. I am assuming I am just getting use to it. We are also trying to get use to a 32" picture vs. our old 27". The old tv is a 20yr old NEC. Not sure what technology they used back then but it is a SHAME NEC doesn't still make tv's. They must have used some version of the XBR fine pitch technology because the screen on the old tv is almost as flawless as my new HDTV. The only reason for the replacement was the vibrance of the picture was fading fast and a buzzing sound was developing. Bummer.

My cable company is suppose to have HDTV by the end of the year so Hopefully sooner than later.

I will try to update you on Monday. Hopefully that isn't too late for your decision.

Joel

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have a 34hs510, and when i get home today, i will check those settings to see if they are the same. if they are not, i don't think i will be the one to change them though, as i am still very new to this whole expensive toy thing :)

I do notice very little change with the advance settings though. but then again, i also notice very little change when i change from interlace thru cinemotion.

And does anyone find their set to be rather dark? i mean with black levels and what i would describe as people constantly being hidden in shadows? i don't have DVE yet, but i did make changes to the service menu to correct red push. perhaps i did this too early in the life of my set (2 weeks in).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looking at the initial settings for KV-32HV600 - raouliii's settings matched them except for the custom 1,2,3 settings which the Sony manual showed as being

AINI 0 0 0

BINI 25 25 25

Manual dated 6/2002

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by biznis2k3

I do notice very little change with the advance settings though. but then again, i also notice very little change when i change from interlace thru cinemotion.

[/b]
I recently played with the custom settings on a 34XBR800 in a showroom and saw very subtle but noticable changes when I viewed the screen closely while transitioning the DRC palette marker to the opposite extremes of reality and clarity. ie reality max/clarity min and vice versa. This was done with an analog input. If you can see these subtle changes at all on the 34HS510 then I would assume that means it is fully enabled.

BTW, my 34XBR800 service manual indicates the following for ID3:

32HS500 = 106

32HS500cnd = 90

32HV600 = 107

34XBR800 = 107

34XBR800cnd = 91

36HS500 = 106

36HS500cnd = 90

+more

106/90 are consistent for the HS series and 107/91 are consistent for the XBR series. Could it really be this easy to turn, DRC wise, this years HS($) into last years XBR($$)?

raouliii

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looking at the schematics for the 32hs500 & 32hv600, it appears that 2 different B boards are used. The hv and xbr series have a different DRC chip than in the 500 series. Also they use an additional A to D converter.

Looking inside my 32hs510, I can see I do not have this A to D converter that is present with the sets that have adjustable DRC. While not completely verifying that the DRC chip is different as well (would have to completely disassemble for my eyes to read the chip markings), I believe this is why DRC still doesn't work when changing the ID to the hv600 id.

If you are truly in need of adjustable DRC and are willing to gamble, you could try ordering from Sony the B board for the hv600. Have know idea what they have changed on the board for the 510s so it may still not work. Cost for the board from Sony is $267.18 or nearly a 1/4 of the cost of the whole tv set.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One update - relooked at the inside of the HS510 and found the B board part# -A1300325A which is the B board from the HS5XX series and not the HV or XBR series

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.