AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Sony 32XBR400 and intend on buying the SAT-HD100. I bought a Toshiba DST-3000 locally with the intention of trying it just to see what I was going to get out of this TV. The Ch. 199 demo & HBO HDTV look awesome. I anticipate the HD100 to look just as well or even better. But my real concern is all other channels look like crap with the Toshiba. Even my DirecTivo looks bad on this TV compared to my non HDTV set. Can anyone with a similar combination tell me what the other non HDTV DTV channels look like with the Sony comboination? Is there any way to get a respectable picture out of the reciever for non HDTV channels. Are there any tweaks or settings to improve the picture. Does anyone know if the newer XBR450 would perform any better. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Your channels look like crap because they are upconverted to 1080i. I have the 36" XBR400, and I previously had the Mits box, that gave me no choice but to have everything upconverted through the component video. That is what your Tosh box is doing.

Get the Sony STB, It's a much better match for the SOny TV.

I bought the HD-100 and I am very happy with it. It gives you the option of upconverting to 1080i or leaving it in the automatic mode. THis way 1080i will be displayed as 1080 and 480i will be displayed as 480.

------------------

Joe C
MY HT/Gameroom

·
Registered
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmcjo:
Your channels look like crap because they are upconverted to 1080i.
As an owner of the 36XBR450 and a Toshiba DST-3000, I don't think that this is the problem. imedia doesn't say, "it only appears in a small box and looks bad." (which is what he should have said if he was using the component outputs -- that is, I don't think he is complaining about the size of the picture). The only way to view 1080i from the DST-3000 on a 32- or 36-XBR is for the XBR to compress it to a 16:9 frame (the XBR auto-detects 1080i and forces you into 16:9 mode). With mine, normal stuff actually looks great this way. Of course, I'm only getting about the equivalent of a 27" image within the 36" screen (gray side bars and black "bars" on top) with the DST-3000 set to output to a 16:9. Subjectively, it looks like the upconversion by the Toshiba box is better than the scan conversion done by the DRC in the XBR450. Because of the size difference, I can't be sure.

The better option for watching non-HD material (and I'm inferring that this is what imedia was talking about) is setting the DST-3000 to SDTV mode (which sets it to output through the composite or s-video outputs).

Quote:

I have the 36" XBR400, and I previously had the Mits box, that gave me no choice but to have everything upconverted through the component video. That is what your Tosh box is doing.
A minor clarification (a restatement of what I say above): To use the component outputs, it is true that the Toshiba will upconvert. The quality of this upconversion is actually quite good, but it will force the 16:9 mode. But, you do not have "to have everything upconverted." You can use the SDTV mode (on the Toshiba) through s-video.

Quote:

Get the Sony STB, It's a much better match for the SOny TV.

I bought the HD-100 and I am very happy with it. It gives you the option of upconverting to 1080i or leaving it in the automatic mode. THis way 1080i will be displayed as 1080 and 480i will be displayed as 480.
Well... since imedia said the XBR400 looks bad with DirecTivo, I don't think the problem is with the set-top box. imedia, you should take some care to adjust your XBR settings. You can find numerous posts by searching for XBR400 on this site that will give you many tips. Here are a few that should help (roughly by order of importance):
  • Set the SVM to "Off". SVM is scan velocity modulation, which tries to enhance hard edges This really mucks up the picture, especially from DirecTV.
  • Set the "Sharpness" almost all of the way to the left.
  • Set the "Color Temp" to "Warm"
  • Set the "Picture" to the middle or below. Then adjust the brightness a little. Try different combinations of this under different picture modes to play around with a see which looks the best. Ideally, you would do this step using Video Essentials or Avia. Again, for more details on these two DVD's, search this forum.

Again, I have the XBR450 (other than a tweak to the DRC, called "cinemotion" the XBR400 and XBR450 are identical -- and the XBR450 should not look noticeably better than your XBR400 on the TV material we're discussing). The picture using the Toshiba box using the s-video output is great. I was afraid that DirecTV would look terrible on this. It looks better than I've seen it on any other TV. It does take making the above adjustments. But, I don't think the fault lies with any combination of STB and XBR that you're using. I'm afraid that if you buy the Sony HD-100 and don't adjust your XBR400, it will look just as bad.

I mainly wanted to clarify that the upconversion by the Toshiba box is NOT the likely culprit here. Your choice of set-top box might rely on other factors. For me, I chose the Toshiba over the HD-100 because of the quality of reception (the fact that the HD-100 had reception problems) and the program guide performance. Again, I'm guessing that the picture quality on standard material is not that dramatically different when you've set your XBR settings.

------------------

-Jason

[This message has been edited by JasonATL (edited 08-02-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.