AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After figuring and measuring and considering price and all things practical, I've decided that a HD CRT is the best investment that I can make going into the HD world...

Flat Panels are too expensive and seem to have too many issues.

Therefore, I've decided to get a 34" 16:9 widescreen t.v.

I've got at least 4 months before my cable company (Time-Warner) integrates the HD signal into the DVR cable box, so I'm in no hurry to purchase just yet.

However, I am getting the impression that Sony is the crem de la crem of HD televisions. Is this correct? If not, which models would you recommend?

Also, if I pull the trigger and buy the Sony, am I going to have a problem watching my current cable signal through the explorer 8000 cable box? Or will I get as good a picture that I am currently enjoying on my Sharp Analog flat tube television?

I'm not going to invest in a decoder box right now since Time Warner's HDcable box will be out this year.

Thanks

HZ:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nothing out there approaches the 1400 horizontal lines of the XBR910 super fine pitch tube. And yes I'm biased by owning this wonderful set.

I think the Toshiba 34s or the HS510 Sony are pretty good too.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
That JVC doesn't compare - its picture tube is just an older lower resolution CRT, the Sony HD CRT has over double the resolution. JVC's 1500i claim its phony, the tube can't even do half that.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hangzen
Also, if I pull the trigger and buy the Sony, am I going to have a problem watching my current cable signal through the explorer 8000 cable box? Or will I get as good a picture that I am currently enjoying on my Sharp Analog flat tube television?
You should be able to get as good a picture. However, you may have to work at it a bit. A new digital set will show flaws in your signal that an old analog set may have hidden.

I was initially dissapointed with my cable picture compared to my old set. Turns out, I was getting a very weak signal from the cable company. Looked fine on my old set, looked bad on my new set. I had the cable company come out and improve the signal strenght ... replaced a splitter ... ran a new cable ... etc. Looks great now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've been through the crappy signal scenario. I bought a newer flat tube Sharp analog television a couple of years ago. When I hooked it up, I was bummed because the picture was lousy. Looked fine on a 13 year old Mitsubishi, but lousy on the new set.

I also had the cable company replace cables, splitters, etc. When I got Digital Television, all of the channels over 100 looked great on this set. I imagine the same will hold with a HDTV and the analog Digital TV box fom Time Warner.

However, there is an Explorer 8000HD box coming out. I will be all over that!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Get the xbr for the best available.

If you want to save a little cash and still get a phenomenal tv, check out the Tosh 34hf83. It's Cable-Clear function does a fantastic job of cleaning up poor reception, and the pq is excellent, although not up to the XBR's standard.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Agreed, the 34XBR910 has NO competition for a 16:9 directview set at its price. The Lowe set would be the only other 16:9 set to compare, and it costs significantly more.

BTW, How do you get 1500 Horizontal "LINES" of resolution when the highest scan rate of HDTV is 1080i horizontal scan lines??? You must be referring to VERTICAL "LINES" of resolution, aka the number of horizontal pixels, stripes, or dots available as the horizontal line scans across the tube. If that is what you mean, does the 910 TRULY have 1500 stripes in the mask/grille? If so, that is more incredible than I had thought. IF that's so, it sounds overrated. At that tight of dot pitch, there is no way to have the FLAT TUBE convergence kept tight enough to only land on ONE phosphor dot at a time. (unless the neck of the CRT is 10 feet long) So while 1500 horizontal stripes may physically exist, I doubt that the beam ONLY lands on ONE AT A TIME. If the convergence of a tube can be this tight... WOW! But I've never seen ANY CRT have perfect convergence even on lesser pixel counts.

STILL THIS IS THE BEST 16:9 CRT out there, but I seriously doubt that it is able to actually resolve 1500 horizontal pixels. 1000-1200 is probably more in the correct range, from what my eyes have seen.

Where have you seen the specification for the actual number of stripes on the fine pitch tube? I am also curious as to the ACTUAL number of stripes across the 40XBR800. I'm guessing around 800-1,000, which is only half of the number of horizontal pixels available in the source material (if truly shot in ATSC High Def)

It would be REALLY nice to actually see the entire 1920 horizontal pixels that HDTV can truly provide. That will come in the future with the next generation of HDTV displays. Then we will see roughly double the amount of horizontal resolution that most of us are impressed by today. That will be exciting to look forward to! We have yet to truly view the TOTAL HDTV EXPERIENCE! The future will be even more stunning... but at what price?

·
Registered
343 Posts
"Right out of the gate, the 34XBR910 wins the resolution race for its size category. This TV boasts a whopping 65% increase in horizontal resolution compared to all previous and current Sony widescreen “standard†direct views, with 1401 horizontally-measured aperture grille slots (see sidebar) in its new “Super Fine Pitch†CRT versus the 847 in Sony’s standard-pitch widescreen tubes. It has higher resolution than competing-brand direct views such as the Sampo 34", which has around 1000 shadow-mask holes. It also exceeds the resolution capability of the highest-resolving plasmas, which have 852 horizontal pixels for 32" and 1024 for 42" screens, and of LCD panels, which currently max out at 1280 horizontal pixels for screens from 30" to 37"."

This is swiped for "The Perfect Vision" review of the xbr910 seen here:

http://www.theperfectvision.com/news...v34xbr910.html

They are comparing the horizontal slits to the past widescreen sonys like the 34xbr800 but from what I understand it also applies the the big boy 40xbr800.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Anyone seen a review or have a link to a review of the JVC AV-34WP84 with its NEW D.I.S.T. 1500i, the industry's HIGHEST RESOLUTION scaling technology. If they find in a review that its all a big joke then I would think that JVC is in big trouble. Needing a link?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
That JVC is worthless since its CRT is no where near capable of full HD resolution, maybe 850 horzontal at most. So a higher internal resolution won't make it to your eyes! Only the Sony 34XBR910 has super-fine-dotpitch to achieve 1400 horizontal slots.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
Sony is the best. If you want to save a little money buy a Toshiba. Keep a good watch at the HT market place. Every once and awhile someone upgrades to an expensive plasma and you can sometimes get a used only one or two year old Loewe 38-inch for a good price--not as good as the XBR 910, but close, and 4 extra inches!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the specs, guys!

If there are actually 1400 slits in the grille, then that is one IMPRESSIVE tube!

If anyone is thinking about buying a 34 inch 16:9 CRT set, YOU MUST BUY THE SONY 910! There is a compromise with every type of choice out there. But if you buy the 910 over the 510, you will at least know that you have the absolute BEST out there within that particular criteria. You WILL eventually have regrets if you opt for the lesser quality 510 set... With the 910, Sooner or later, you will end up pulling a beanbag chair right up next to the 910 to enjoy its full richness! With the 510, you will find yourself staying back further and complaining that the size is too small. Even at distances of 10 feet, You will still notice the improvement of the 910.

BIGGER is BETTER, and BETTER RESOLUTION is BETTER. It's hard to have both, so at least choose ONE... Down the road it will be nice to see something large like 50-60 inches that actually displays the entire ATSC 1920 horizontal pixels! That is probably when I will upgrade from my 40XBR800. I chose the size over the resolution, because the 910 wasn't on the market when I bought my set. However, I'm sure GLAD that I jumped up to the 40" over the 36" 4:3 set, so that at least I enjoy the largest CRT out there. You should be able to haggle the price of the 910 down to around $2K. The small difference over time, (hundreds $$$ NOT thousands) between that and what you might pay for the 510 will have you kicking yourself for not going all the way. Who knows how much longer SONY will even be building tube sets? So get the best one while you can!

HDTV "Generation II" consumer displays will be great to look forward to. We have just begun to explore the TRUE hi-def experience. More programming in the future with FULL 1920X1080i resolution... WOW! Meanwhile, 1400 horizontal pixels, That is damn close!

The ONLY downside to the 910 is that because of the number of extremely small sized grill slits and phosphors, you cannot achieve quite the contrast range of the lesser resolution sets. If you prefer extremely VIVID whites and high high contrast, then you might want to check the set out more closely in person. IF you like to see a more true to life, film like presentation, then this set is definitely for you! It also takes a while to adjust to the viewing experience. Some people are dissappointed at first by incorrectly thinking that things look softer than their older set. Obviously, this is not true, but we have all been used to "over enhanced edge detail" and confuse the overshoot "spike" as more detail. Since there are less vertical lines, these spikes are wider and therefore appear more pronounced. Once you double the resolution, the physical distance of these voltage spikes as seen on the screen are much narrower. This leads some viewers to feel like the picture is soft. In reality, what you put in is what you get out... So this set will provide EXTREME detail, but ONLY if it's there in the first place. Nevertheless, watching over enhanced video detail, is only fooling the brain. There should really be no enhancements required, but since there is no actual picture content available to take the place of the amplifier overshoot spikes, they do tend to make some viewers more satisfied. But Just like a new pair of glasses... after a few weeks of watching the 910, you will not want to go back to anything less... expecially when watching TRUE HDTV.

GET THE 910! and ENJOY!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.