Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Glad to have found such an experienced forum!

I'm looking at the Sony CRTs (specifically the 34" XBR and XS) for the Xbox 360 and could really use some help. HDTV Plasma's still out my reach and I still hear CRT is the best for videogames. I have some questions.

Will I be able to notice the difference between 720p and 1080i? In other words if the Sony is the upscaling a 720p signal from the 360 to 1080i, is this a bad thing?

Is it possible for a CRT TV to do 720p natively? How far away is this from a reality?

Thanks for your help,

Court.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
No. The XBR960's conversion will not cause any problems or picture quality decline.

You will most likely never see a 720p NATIVE CRT Tube.

I have the XBR960 right now and I can't WAIT to see the next gen systems in HD on this! No worries! :)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmcln
Hello,

Glad to have found such an experienced forum!

I'm looking at the Sony CRTs (specifically the 34" XBR and XS) for the Xbox 360 and could really use some help. HDTV Plasma's still out my reach and I still hear CRT is the best for videogames. I have some questions.

Will I be able to notice the difference between 720p and 1080i? In other words if the Sony is the upscaling a 720p signal from the 360 to 1080i, is this a bad thing?

Is it possible for a CRT TV to do 720p natively? How far away is this from a reality?

Thanks for your help,

Court.
Nearly all direct view crts natively display 1080i. They could be manufactured to do 720p but that's simply not happening, and I'm not aware of any makers now trying to do that.

IMO 720p is easier on my eyes and much more film-like. However, I have found that 1080i does not have the flicker I was told to watch out for. To me it seems nice and smooth. I really don't think it would matter that much - but I'm not a gamer.

An hd set "scaling" 720p to 1080i is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm running 720p through HDMI on a 30" Sony CRT from my computer, and it's looking so damn great. Splinter Cell 3 in 720p and 60FPS, with picture so pretty and stable you'd never guessed it's interlaced. CRT is really the king when it comes to video and game display :)

If you have any doubts what the next gen console hi-def (well X360 and PS3 for sure) output is going to look like on that TV, you can try connection your PC to it and see for yourself.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconelly
I'm running 720p through HDMI on a 30" Sony CRT from my computer, and it's looking so damn great. Splinter Cell 3 in 720p and 60FPS, with picture so pretty and stable you'd never guessed it's interlaced. CRT is really the king when it comes to video and game display :)

If you have any doubts what the next gen console hi-def (well X360 and PS3 for sure) output is going to look like on that TV, you can try connection your PC to it and see for yourself.
Let me ask you a weird question. I did that a few weeks ago via HDMI/DVI and, to my shock, I was able to turn that refresh rate up to 85 Hz with no problems. Have you done that?

I'm trying to determine if the 960 takes any input and forces it at 60Hz, or if I was actually really looking at 85Hz. In any event, yeah, it looked amazing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an ATI 9800 card which is apparently quite finnicky when it comes to driving HDTVs. I not only can't set the refresh rate over 60hz, I had major problems finding any resolution that worked to begin with :\\

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
I'm trying to determine if the 960 takes any input and forces it at 60Hz, or if I was actually really looking at 85Hz. In any event, yeah, it looked amazing.
were you not using clone mode though, Q?

I doubt the XBR will take 85 Hz refresh rate

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAJohnson
Not trying the crap the thread but the xbox 360 isn't out yet do u mean the xbox by any chance ?
No David I was talking about the 360. I want to get a HDTV before launch and want to know how well a Sony CRT will produce a 720p signal at 1080i

Thanks to all that replied!

Court.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
were you not using clone mode though, Q?

I doubt the XBR will take 85 Hz refresh rate
Yeah.

I had the analog going to my LCD PC screen so I could keep control on things, but DVI/HDMI was going from the PC to the XBR960. I was amazed that I was able to get away with 85Hz ON the Xbr960...yet there it was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I just got a 960XBR on Sunday.

I got my Media PC hooked up to it with a 720P Timing, to make the screen and fonts more readable and since my Radeon 9600 i have in there really cant handle games at a 1080i resolution.

Im using the ATI Component adapter to connect it to the TV.

Anyway, i finally fired up Half Life 2 and cranked the setting up and turned on 2XAA, and the picture on the XBR is simply stunning, it really blew me away.

If the X-Box 360 can put out anywhere near the graphics power of my modest Media PC rig, you are going to be very happy. :D

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I'd just set the xbox360 for 1080i instead since that's the native display of the sony sets.

Also the xbox360 will display which ever resolution your tv takes excluding 1080p, similar to what a computer does in choosing a resolution.In other words your either going to get true 1080i or true 720p.

Not to worry, it's going to look killer when you see these things in person, i for one can't wait!

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
I had the analog going to my LCD PC screen so I could keep control on things, but DVI/HDMI was going from the PC to the XBR960. I was amazed that I was able to get away with 85Hz ON the Xbr960...yet there it was.
since it sounds like you were cloning that so was not the resolution received by your XBR

try it again in extended desktop mode or "dual mode"

I very much doubt the XBR is an exception to every other TV that has been made

(not just CRTs)

that will take 85 Hz over DVI

heck LCD PC monitors will not take 85HZ over DVI

Quote:
If the X-Box 360 can put out anywhere near the graphics power of my modest Media PC rig, you are going to be very happy.
the xbox360 is suppose to have the graphics power of two 7800s in SLI

that would definitely be an upgrade from a 9600

·
Registered
148 Posts
To me the fact that xbox 360's gpu is on the same performance level of ATI's R600 PC graphics card which aint due out until after ATI releases its upcoming R520 graphics card for the pc..xbox 360 will truely be an amazing expeirence on hdtv's. I cant wait....

Also keep in mind, unlike the pc platform..consoles can utilize much more of the gpu then a pc can because of pc's many pc setups,various video cards,OS resources,etc running all the time. Its gonna be mind blowing what we'll see with Microsofts new console coming in a few short months

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm looking for a HDTV CRT before the Xbox 360 launch as well.

My main concern is the 720p resolution. All 360 games are required to be in this mode. Developers have the option to make them into 1080i.

But I rarely see a CRT with 720p resolution - the only one I see is the Samsung SlimFit's, so I thought that was the best bet.

What's the deal with this "upscaling"? If your TV only has 1080i, but the game only has 720p are you screwed?

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
720p is only a minumum requirement, all games will feature 1080i too since microsoft would be stupid to alienate those owners since that's what the majority of HDTV sets are.

Set the resolution to whatever you tv displays natively and be done with it.!

Have fun and enjoy the HD era;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Croc,

I think most of us who are going to buy a HD CRT TV specifically for the Xbox 360 are concerned that b/c interlaced is generally considered a lower signal than progressive; we're missing out on all that the Xbox 360 can give us. We're not getting the best signal available because Crts don't natively accept 720p.

Anybody know when the new Sony crts are coming out? I can't find the 34xs955 so i'm hoping they get the new ones out before the 360 launches around November.

Court.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Depending on budget, you can also send a direct signal from xbox 360 to a computer monitor, I *imagine* thats gonna be the best possible picture.

Though, a 30+inc monitor is obviously significantly more then a CRT tv...(Oh why can't they just merge the damn technologies already?)

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
I think most of us who are going to buy a HD CRT TV specifically for the Xbox 360 are concerned that b/c interlaced is generally considered a lower signal than progressive; we're missing out on all that the Xbox 360 can give us. We're not getting the best signal available because Crts don't natively accept 720p.

Anybody know when the new Sony crts are coming out? I can't find the 34xs955 so i'm hoping they get the new ones out before the 360 launches around November.
720p and 1080i are nealry identical in the amount of data

720p is progressive but low resolution in comparsion to 1080i

so you are not missing out

and nearly all CRTs will accept 720p, they simply convert it to the lower scan rate for display

that why your CRT HDTV is cheaper

if they cost as much as a LCD Rear Projection would you still buy one? even though CRTs produce a more life like image

Sony is continuing the line up through 2005

there is also an XBR model of the 34"

where do you live where you cannot find it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.