AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agonized over the Philiips, Sampo etc before settling on the discontinued 34" Sony HD-1 set sometime last year, paying right around $4000. In the end, I thought it was AMAZING and used it here in NYC with TimeWarner cable going straight into the supplied HD box. Unfortunately, my girlfriend dumped me so I am now going through this process all over again and my research is a year out of date. Is this still a good way to go or is the new XBR 34" 16:9 etc or whatever a better TV? Also, are there any new developments for the hardware or the available HD prgramming? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Wow, you paid $4000 for a HD1? Was it new or used? If it was new, you got an incredible deal. The 34XBR2 is much cheaper than the 34HD1, starting at $4000 but capable of being found around $3400 or less. The 34XBR2 is by far the best direct view set that I have ever seen. For its time, the HD1 was the best, but it has been succeeded by the XBR2. Read up on the specs at: www.sonystyle.com, search word KD-34XBR2.

You may notice that the 34XBR2 comes with I.Link or Firewire inputs. While controversial, these inputs at least give you the chance of keeping the set somewhat future-proof if 5C protection ever becomes big. Oh, and the set itself has a slot in the back for MemoryStick firmware upgrades. While no MemoryStick upgrades have been issued thus far (to my knowledge), this provides a realm for easily correcting any future incompatabilities with HDTV signals.

Ok, enough said. Simply put, you cannot go wrong with the 34XBR2.

One question though. Why are you looking for a new HDTV now that your g/f dumped you? Is this some sort of rehabilitation therapy for yourself or did she actually take off with the set?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.