AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed my next television buy to the 34" sony direct-view versus the panny 42" plasma ED (have'nt ruled out the HD). I have directv, watch mostly tivo, occasionally rent dvds, will watch some HD content as it becomes available for my shows (but right now mostly SD content), and play some ps2 and xbox games. I've read extensively about both units. Both will fit well in the massive entertainment center my wife purchased (she spent more on it then I'll end up spending on the television). When I upgrade, I'll end up getting a hi-def directv receiver or wait for the hi-def tivo.

I would just like to know how the PQ compares and whether SD shows will look that much better on the 34" sony. I'm leaning toward the plasma because its bigger and will fit perfectly in the entertainment center.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I looked at these two sets just today. The direct view Sony definitely has a better picture than the Panasonic plasma. The plasma seemed to have a lot of motion blur that the Sony did not exhibit.

There was a High Definition football game on at the time.

The Plasma could be mounted on the wall.

The Direct View uses about 1/3 as much electricity.

The plasma could be extremely costly to repair when the warantee runs out where the direct-view tv is probably as reliable as any tube-type tv could be.

But in my opinion, the direct view tv absolutely has the superior picture quality.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Don't forget the perfect geometry of the plasma display compared to the CRT. I haven't heard any unreliablity problems on current Panasonic plasmas, I think the lastest CRT models are more unreliable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good input.. thanks.. I did'nt know motion blur was a problem on the plasmas. I definitely have a lot of motion blur on my 15 inch samsugn LCD tv monitor. I don't notice when watching tv, but do notice with games and when the tivo menu slides across the screen.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You're trying to compare apples and oranges. For the best HDTV experience get the largest size you can afford.

I have the 42PWD6UY and have watched every HDTV football game for the past 3 weeks and seen no motion blur.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It might have been an LCD. It was a Panasonic TH-50PHD3UY.

There was a whole wall of plasmas. All of them, with the exception of the Sony 42" XBR plasma exhibited motion blur. The Sony plasma was extremely crisp but it was over $9,000 !

It could well have been the feed.

Several other men standing there noticed the blur as well. It was obvious that the direct-view Sony tube tv did not have the blurring effect.

·
Registered
15,371 Posts
wblynch ,

A good plasma will not show any obvious motion blur relative to an analog CRT device. I own a Panasonic plasma and a CRT, and know of where I speak. (Be aware that poor store set-ups will cause apparent motion blur, and that many HD signals are well known to have motion problems due to compression of the signal - in other words it's not necessarily the display).

MimsFamily,

It's nice to be faced with a choice between two excellent displays. I own the Panasonic 4UY plasma, which is in essence the same unit picture quality-wise as the 6UY you are interested in. As someone who habitually compares different display technologies (never without my reference discs), here's my take:

I have not yet seen the Sony 910. However, I just came back from demoing the Sony XBR510 widescreen set with my reference DVDs. I've read in this forum that, while the 910 has a smoother look for closer viewing, the 510 can look comparable in quality to the 910 from a "normal" viewing distance.

All I can say is the 510 looked really good. An excellent CRT for sure: relatively sharp yet natural looking, with that vivid, deep rich image you get with a CRT direct view. But...the Panny plasma just smokes it as an overall viewing experience. Now, typically when you are moving up screen size you sacrifice some perceived image sharpness in the larger image. In this case it's the opposite: the Panny plasma image is not only bigger and more immersive, but it's simultaneously sharper and more realistic. I tried my best to calibrate the Sony 510 to approach what I get at home, and I couldn't do it. It always looked like "nice TV." Whereas the same images on my plasma strike me with awe at how clear, real and beautiful the image looks.

I guess I can put it this way. Whenever someone sees a DVD playing on my plasma they are dumbstruck "Oh...my God that looks amazing!" That kind of stuff. I personally have never had that feeling in front of the Sony XBRs (as good as they are), nor have I ever witnessed anyone with that same dumbstruck reaction to those tube set images. (Not that people on this forum don't experience elation from their XBR image...I can only report my experience).

Also, whenever I've seen NTSC on any widescreen CRT, including the 510 today, I've found it looks disappointingly synthetic...it just has this smeary processed look that you don't have to suffer when viewing a purely analog signal on an analog display. I've yet to see a wide screen tube set that did NSTC signals as smooth, sharp and artifact-free as my 4:3 Panasonic Tau tube set.

The Panasonic plasma you are looking at does, hands down, the best upconversion of NTSC I've ever seen to a larger screen. There is negligible scaling noise added to the image so, while you will see significant variation of quality from channel to channel, as long as the feed is a decent one you'll get a decent picture. And if you get a good NTSC feed will give you everything it's got; many cable channels on my plasma look more spectacularly sharp, smooth and dimensional than on any CRT I've ever seen. I find it smokes my Panny Tau tube set for viewing NTSC.

Based on my experience, I could not recommend the Panasonic 6UY more highly for an application like yours.

Hopefully, you'll get some feedback from others who own the 910.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks. Whenever I'm in "best/worst buy" the plasmas attract my attention so much more than any other tv, even though the feeds to the plasmas are usually poor. That's the general feeling of many.

I purposefully posted in the direct view section so that I would not get any bias input from plasma owners. Instead, the plasma owners are so pleased that they gladly share their opinions and excitement on any thread. Now I feel even more comfortable with my decision to get the Panny plasma.

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.