AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a larger widescreen, I have a samsung TSL3099 plays DVD's great but regular ntsc is not great. I could get a Loewe with a 15-30% discount but want to use that for plasma. What I am looking for is a picture that is similar to the Loewe which looks like tape or video. I have seen this on the Sony 34 and the Philips but that was in the store. I was able to tweak a Sony with a ntsc baseball game to satisfactory results and the component feed was showing a movie preview that had a live/tape look to it. I know that some do not like that particular look but to me it is more life like and has more depth. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'd think price may be the deciding factor between those 2. I have the Philips and really like the way it shows NTSC. PixelPlus seems to help NTSC signals quite a bit. Like others, I've actually decided (for now anyway) to run my DVD on interlaced and use PixelPlus instead of running the DVD in progressive mode. This does tend to look slightly more like video/live than film, so some have chosen not to do this. In short I really like this TV, but I've heard really good things about the Sony, so my guess is you would be happy with either. Let us know what you decide.

Greg

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was seriously going to buy the Philips, but it doesn't support DVI, which could be the only way to get HD signals in the future if the movie studios have anything to say about it.

I'm currently leaning towards the Sony 34xbr800.

·
Registered
125 Posts
hi, i just went through exactly the same decision: loewe, sony 34xbr800 or phiips...

i eliminated the philips because i use the tv mostly to watch dvds, and i actually don't like pixelplus that much - its noise reduction scheme introduces a smearing that i don't like. plus, i think its menu animation takes up too much time, and i use the menus frequently.

the loewe was enchanting. i was looking at the 30". however, i'm a colorist by trade, working at a video post production house, and when i found out that the hue on the 1080i input is not tweakable, i had to eliminate the loewe. (also, my mate felt that the loewe looked a little soft to her.)

finally i chose the 34xbr800. it has a number of presets and i've settled on a modification of the "Movie" preset. in general i'm pretty happy with the set.

ed

Quote:
Originally posted by idtvpro
I am looking for a larger widescreen, I have a samsung TSL3099 plays DVD's great but regular ntsc is not great. I could get a Loewe with a 15-30% discount but want to use that for plasma. What I am looking for is a picture that is similar to the Loewe which looks like tape or video. I have seen this on the Sony 34 and the Philips but that was in the store. I was able to tweak a Sony with a ntsc baseball game to satisfactory results and the component feed was showing a movie preview that had a live/tape look to it. I know that some do not like that particular look but to me it is more life like and has more depth. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your replys fellas, :rolleyes: but I have seen the new Philip's brochure and I will try to wait it out for the 2003 models which will have a DVI connector. See specs below.

30PW9819/34PW9819

Direct View

• Pixel Plus

• Digital Natural Motion

• Active Control Plus+

• Eye Fidelity

• DVI input

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by idtvpro
Thanks for all of your replys fellas, :rolleyes: but I have seen the new Philip's brochure and I will try to wait it out for the 2003 models which will have a DVI connector. See specs below.

30PW9819/34PW9819

Direct View

• Pixel Plus

• Digital Natural Motion

• Active Control Plus+

• Eye Fidelity

• DVI input
When is the 2003 model supposed to be out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was torn between these two sets as well. I ended up buying the Philips

34PW9818 and told the salesman at Good Guys I was going to test drive

it for the weekend and see how I liked it... To make a long story short,

I was somewhat disappointed with the Philips and replaced it with the

Sony 34XBR800. I've used the Sony for the past week and it is leaps

and bounds above the Philips...

In summary, here are my thoughts/opionions about the sets:

1) DVI or no DVI, the Sony does HDTV much better. Philips had some issues with my HD200. Some stations on Philips had weird artifacts on the

top of the screen. No issues with the Sony set.

2) Pixel Plus/DNM on the Philips was pixelated and jerky. It might just

be my cable feed, but I couldn't stand watching it anymore. Sony does

a nice job with a regular cable feed. Nothing fancy, just a nice picture.

3) DVD (480P) on both sets were nice, bu the Sony seemed clearer, sharper and more vivid.

4) 720P support. Sony does a wonderful job of handling all signals,

including 720P. Philips could not handle 720P, but they state the TV

cannot as well... Hopefully they will fix this in the 9819.

5) Intangibles - The top of the Sony is perfect for a center channel

speaker. The Philips is not - small space and controls at the top.

Front Inputs on the Sony, Side inputs on the Philips? The side inputs

are just useless unless your TV is out on the open.

Xbox and PS2 played wonderfully on the Sony. Philips seems to have

a hard time with these. I could never get the Xbox to display on the

480P/1080I inputs on the Philips.

Anyway,

I gave the Philips a chance, but Sony ended up being a great all-around

set. Good luck in your decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.