AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
No for the degausser, it appears there's apps where shielding and such are required. Anti-static, EMI, and RFI. I remember those external anti-glare shields required grounding to make the gamma ray reduction work properly. Also, maybe required for the likes of the aforementioned privacy filter.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The film plays no role in degaussing whatsoever, degaussing is done from the coil that is wrapped around the tube. Take the rear cover off your television and you'll see it. Degaussing affects "the screen," and when we say "the screen" we mean either the shadow mask (in a normal CRT) or the Trinitron wires (in a Trinitron CRT), NOT the glass face. This screen is actually completely behind the glass face and any antiglare film on its opposite surface is not going to affect degaussing in any form or fashion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alright, I got nothing else...Hope the more relevant discussions to this thread's title will be useful to someone in the future...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Was hoping someone back in the day of support for these CRTs got an answer from Sony, or maybe a Sony authorized tech, etc. Like you said probably absurd to ask now, but if you happen to contact them about something else...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fyi

Well, I do have one more thing to report on topic...After I removed the film, there was a significant increase in the mirror effect of seeing myself, reflective lighting, etc...BUT, I am happy to report that all you have to do is not clean yer screen for a couple weeks! Once you get a FINE layer of attracted dust on the screen, It's no longer reflective, and doesn't affect the pic!! FOR YOUR HEALTH!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
'Dust not included.' The hard part is keeping it a thin layer so it doesn't affect the pic. And maybe you should try and find some of that gold and copper laced dust.

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
Cigarette smoke is a wonderful "anti-glare" coating. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry for bumping the thread, but I need immediate help from you guys. I'm trying to remove the anti-glare film from my XBR960 (since the coating was ruined from cleaning materials by the previous owner and shows the noticeable rainbow streaks) have managed to get the back casing off, but I don't know how to get the front off so I can start peeling the film off. I removed all of the small gold screws around the perimeter of the TV, but I can't get the front black bezel off. Any help?

Here's pics of my XBR960.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Looks to me like you need to remove those nuts holding the brackets shown in your photo, plus whatever misc. stuff is in the way. But I suspect you're messing with fire due to the sheer size and weight of this beast. I'm pretty sure there's a 960 thread on film removal so maybe there. GL on responses in this CRT ghost land.

Me, I'd peel it to the bezel and then carefully trim it at that edge.
When I worked for an auto window tinter we would peel old or defective film off using a straight razor and soapy water. Then scrape the glue residue off using a Pine-Sol/water solution.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Honestly, I don't even know if my 960 has the anti-glare sheet of film or the anti-glare chemical coating. If it is a chemical coating, then it's pointless for me to remove the front black bezel because there's nothing to pull off. I might as well resort to Steel Wool #0000 or some other caustic material to dissolve the anti-glare layer if thats the case.

Does anyone know if the 960 has a sheet of film or a sprayed on coating? Mine was manufactured in July of 2005 in Westmoreland, PA.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Honestly, I don't even know if my 960 has the anti-glare sheet of film or the anti-glare chemical coating. If it is a chemical coating, then it's pointless for me to remove the front black bezel because there's nothing to pull off. I might as well resort to Steel Wool #0000 or some other caustic material to dissolve the anti-glare layer if thats the case.

Does anyone know if the 960 has a sheet of film or a sprayed on coating? Mine was manufactured in July of 2005 in Westmoreland, PA.
So far as I am aware, the anti-glare on all of these CRTs is a film, not a "coating," that would have been sprayed on. Steel wool is exactly what people have used to remove it safely even in instances like this, maybe getting it started with an xacto knife. If you want to try pulling it off instead I recommend you try to source the service manual and inspect its diagrams carefully for the slots, tabs, bolts and other attachments that go to the front bezel. It isn't rocket science and several people have even done it without manuals or personal walkthroughs. Just look carefully as you go and you should be able to manage it without damaging anything. From your pictures I would expect that the bolts you pictured need to be removed, but also be on the lookout for tabs and slots to pry up, down, left or right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So far as I am aware, the anti-glare on all of these CRTs is a film, not a "coating," that would have been sprayed on. Steel wool is exactly what people have used to remove it safely even in instances like this, maybe getting it started with an xacto knife. If you want to try pulling it off instead I recommend you try to source the service manual and inspect its diagrams carefully for the slots, tabs, bolts and other attachments that go to the front bezel. It isn't rocket science and several people have even done it without manuals or personal walkthroughs. Just look carefully as you go and you should be able to manage it without damaging anything. From your pictures I would expect that the bolts you pictured need to be removed, but also be on the lookout for tabs and slots to pry up, down, left or right.
That's what I think too with all of the accounts on here from other 960 owners saying they had a film. I just don't want to scratch the glass or black bezel with the steel wool. I also want to get rid of the entire film around the glass. Not just what shows up on the screen.

The green arrows here show the approximate locations of all the golden screws around the perimeter of the casing. I removed all of the golden screws where the green arrows are, but still couldn't get the front off. There are two tabs on the left and right side of the TV which you can push. When I pushed them both, the black bezel looked like it was slightly coming off, but no farther than that. The red crosses I did not remove yet. I'm not sure those gold screws with the washers behind them affect the black bezel removal, so I left them. I think they hold that weird thing that shows in front of the picture up.

The red cross here is what I've heard you're NOT supposed to remove. There are 4 of those large silver screws around each edge of the TV that hold it with the cabinet. Also, I don't think removing those would help in removing the black bezel. Its impossible to turn them anyway with a Phillips Screwdriver. They won't budge, and probably for good reason.

I'm not sure if removing all 4 of the orange ? screws would help in removing the black bezel in any way.

The green "cabinet screw" just shows one of the screw holes that connects the back casing of the TV onto the backside of the TV. That's step one, which was easy and had absolutely no trouble with. Step two is removing all of the gold screws around the perimeter of the TV inside, which I did. But I still couldn't get the black bezel off. I felt like I would break the plastic if I pulled too hard.

Any help here?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
"I also want to get rid of the entire film around the glass. Not just what shows up on the screen."

Why?

Reactions: JA Fant

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
OCD thing. I know, its stupid. I just can't live knowing there's still anti-glare film around the TV.
The ironic part is once you are successful, that old TV will bite the dust. But... at least you did it! :D

Reactions: JA Fant

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
He's saying it's a lot of work for an old TV that is nearing the end of its 'design' life. Dangerous too, plus you may FUBAR the TV doing it.

·
Registered
104 Posts

:) I got the sheet off! It was actually pretty easy to peel off, and it came off in one piece. (although I cut part of it off with scissors). It's basically just a giant thick sheet of plastic. I'm surprised at how cloudy and murky the anti-glare film is. Surprisingly, the screen doesn't look that much more reflective, although the reflection is much clearer now. Also the scratches on it from the chemical cleaners which caused the numerous distracting rainbow scratches are on that AG film.

There are streaks on the glass that look like imprints from peeling the sheet off. Is that glue residue? I don't feel any glue. What's a good cleaner to remove the streaks and glue without damaging the glass?

I've heard Goo Gone does the trick.

EDIT: I just discovered a small cut on my left pinkie which is now bleeding a bit. Worth it easily though.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts