AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my Sony 34XBR960 tv where the left lower and left upper side get what appears to be magnet marks when bright colors are displayed. After I go back to a dark screen it then goes back to normal. From what I read, I think that it is some kind of doming issue. I also read that these tvs shouldn't have doming issues due to those little black lines that hold up the grille or what ever it is called. Does anyone else experience this kind of problem?

I have a service tech. coming out tomorrow to diagnose the problem.

Here are some pictures of my problem.

Here are two pictures without the problem. The camera makes it look bad but it isn't as bad as these pics show.
http://webpages.charter.net/seaquake...s/goodpic1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/seaquake...s/goodpic2.jpg

Here is a picture of the tv after displaying some bright images. The tv looks much more magnetized than these pictures show.
http://webpages.charter.net/seaquake...ics/badpic.jpg

some zoomed shots
http://webpages.charter.net/seaquake...cs/topzoom.JPG http://webpages.charter.net/seaquake...bottomzoom.JPG

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Sure looks like some kind of magnet interference. Since you state that you have read up on the issue, is it a good assumption that you have NOTHING magnetic within a couple of feet of the left side of your tv? If not, maybe it is a shielding issue with your internal speakers. BTW, some "magnetically shielded" speakers are not well shielded.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also when taking pics if you put your camera on a tripod and turn the flash off the pic will come out better if your camera is decent. Tripod needed as in auto mode the exposure time might change to something like 1/8th of a second or longer, but in a pinch you can just use a table/speaker stand/etc to get it steady.

W

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii
Sure looks like some kind of magnet interference. Since you state that you have read up on the issue, is it a good assumption that you have NOTHING magnetic within a couple of feet of the left side of your tv? If not, maybe it is a shielding issue with your internal speakers. BTW, some "magnetically shielded" speakers are not well shielded.
I have some speakers 2 feet from the left and 2.5 feet from the right side. I've tried to remove the speakers from both sides and do the internal degaussing a few times with exactly the same result.

I don't know if this was a good idea but I've tested the speaker on top with an older tv by setting it on the screen and moving it in all possible ways and nothing happened. I've also used a compass in my room and it doesn't react to that speaker at all. The compass also remains neutral from a little less than 1 feet from the ground speakers.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The repair guy came out today and attempted to degauss the set. The proceedure failed and didn't help at all. He said that he will be back to open the television on the next appointment to see if there is an internal magnet problem.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
This must be disappointing. Don't let the troubleshooting take on a life of its own. If the tech can't resolve this by the next appt I say return the set and get an exchange. Once you get too far down the repair tunnel it can be difficult to turn back and do a simple exchange.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc
This must be disappointing. Don't let the troubleshooting take on a life of its own. If the tech can't resolve this by the next appt I say return the set and get an exchange. Once you get too far down the repair tunnel it can be difficult to turn back and do a simple exchange.
Disappointing doesn't cut it. I wonder what is the percent of these sets are bad. I read lots of negative feedback about but people tend to only report the negativity.

I kinda affraid that if I exchange it, the next one will have a tuner problem that I've been reading about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQuake
Disappointing doesn't cut it. I wonder what is the percent of these sets are bad. I read lots of negative feedback about but people tend to only report the negativity.

I kinda affraid that if I exchange it, the next one will have a tuner problem that I've been reading about.
It's an internal magnetic problem. The repairman wil have to come out and adjust the magnets in the set.

Garry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry QM
It's an internal magnetic problem. The repairman wil have to come out and adjust the magnets in the set.

Garry
You make it seem like an easy repair. Is it a simple repair?

No matter how much of a pessimist I am, I always love to hear good news.

I would still preffer the truth though. :)

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQuake
You make it seem like an easy repair. Is it a simple repair?

No matter how much of a pessimist I am, I always love to hear good news.

I would still preffer the truth though. :)

It'll be just like what my ISF man did for me. Take the back off of the TV, very carefully and slowly make some adjustments, back and forth a few times, and probably in about an hour or so, tops, you'll be good to go.

IF the tech knows what they're doing, yes, it's fairly simple and straightforward, but delicate and time consuming. You can't rush this!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
This happened to me twice. Both time it was some shielding issue. First it was my center speaker and then my xbox 360 I put on the stand and it did it as well. I move them and it goes away. Anyone else ever have this happen. I am having a ISf calibration in 2 weeks is he going to fix it all together?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
It'll be just like what my ISF man did for me. Take the back off of the TV, very carefully and slowly make some adjustments, back and forth a few times, and probably in about an hour or so, tops, you'll be good to go.

IF the tech knows what they're doing, yes, it's fairly simple and straightforward, but delicate and time consuming. You can't rush this!
That's what a couple of people told me when they had the same problem with their Sony sets'. It took about an hour and a half before they were done. No problems for almost three years now.

Garry

·
Registered
83 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=594172

So I'm not alone. I have had the same issue since I pretty much got the set. I did everything possible..I moved any and all speakers away from the set..actually I moved anything that has a magnet (CRT computer monitors). I tried all the suggestions that were posted in my original thread too. My little red spot just won't go away.

Seeing this new thread though, perhaps I will pursue PC Richards again, to see what they can do...hell after 3 service calls they are supposed to replace my television.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem with my set - on the left side, exactly on the edge, two or three dark areas, with kind of pink center (the pink was visible when the background is blue... on white background it was just dark).

I modified the landing setting, in the service menu, and the problem almost went away. Right now there is very tiny dark area, but pretty much impossible to notice.

Dimitar

·
Registered
83 Posts
dimitar,

I know to access the service menu by hitting

display, channel 5, volume +, power...but beyond that I have never messed with this thing. Could you point me in the direction of what to do once the green text is on the screen.

I am not a total novice, I think I can follow some directions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Once you are in the service menu, switch to the channel or video input that displays blue background only, so you can clearly see the spots.

Then navigate in the service menu and find the setting LANDING (or LAND .. do not remember its exact name).

That setting has several parameters. The first one is UL (Upper Left), next one is BL (Bottom Left), then there are UR, BR and so on.

Modify UL and see if the spot disappers. Mine was set to 150 or so... and I had to decrease it to around 90.

Check with the thread for 34XBR960 service codes. There are instructions how to navigate the service menu, how to cancel all changes (simply turn off the TV) or how to store them.

Also this is the thread where I found out about the LANDING setting.

BTW, my TV is 34XS955, but the LANDING setting is the same.

I also, scheduled appointment with technician (Sony recommended) to come and see the TV... and because my TV is 34XS it has 90 days waranty for labor, which had expired (I bought the TV in late August of 2005). The technician said it will cost me ~ $80 just for the visit and he will tell me what is wrong. Any further work will cost more.

I was a bit affraid that such "repair" may take forever, and there is risk that it gets worse (if the technician is not very skilled, and after reading some customer stories for the "authorized Sony service centers")... so I decided to try with the service code... and I am satisfied with the result.

Dimitar

·
Registered
83 Posts
dimitar,

I can't thank you enough, PROBLEM SOLVED.

I am in search of a way to save these settings. I have checked some of the service menu threads, including the one that is on the front page of this forum right, now..so far no dice.

Any links?

Thanks again.

===EDIT====

Nevermind..two seconds later I found this..

SAVE NEW SETTING

[MUTE] followed by [ENTER] to store NEW setting to NVRAM

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am glad this helped. :)

I wish Sony does better job with tunning their TVs, before they are shipped from the factory ....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.