AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys bear with me, I know just enough about pc's to sound very stupid to you all.

I have a pretty neat HT, Sharp 9000, Firehawk screen etc. Being a bit illiterate to say the least on PC's, I'm NOT READY to venture into a HTPC for DVD viewing however I would like the following from a PC:

1. Web surfing

2. Storing MP3's and playing them thru the HT audio system

3. email

4. Printing recipes for the wife etc.

QUESTION: I'd like to use a wireless keyboard/mouse and hook a PC up and display it thru my TV, and hopefully also my Sharp 9000, but the Sony XBR 400 36" HD TV is Primary". It has a "S" video -in, and it has component in, no VGS in.

I have a cable a client gave me I have not tried. It is VGA on one side to the PC, and has 5 cables with BNC connectors on the other end. He told me to go to RS and buy 5 BNC to RCA connectors and plug it into the back of the Sony, reset the resolution on the PC per the Sony and it should work OK, maybe good for the above. Another person wants me to try a VGA to "S" cable at Circuit City?

1. will either of the above work?

2. Is there a switch where I can go back and forth from the TV to the projector as displays- I WOULD NOT need the TV and PJ to display simultaneously. Any items I may need I would love manufacturer, model # and approx. cost.

If this can all work, I'm ready to have a very nice PC built, and maybe someday learn enough to use it for DVD playing. Thanks to you all!

Dave

·
Registered
190 Posts
You cannot simply by a cable that will transform a RGB/HV-VGA signal into a NTSC S-Video one, you need a device called a scan-converter for this. Some video cards have them built in (tv-out) or you can by external ones like the Focus Enhancements Tview Gold ( which is a very good one). Note that S-Video is maximum of roughly 640x480 INTERLACED, this is as high a resolution as you will be able to get through it. Now your Sony in a HDTV with component in so you should be able to use a different device called a transcoder to convert VGA into progressive Component, but HDTV are not multi-sync, which means your video card in the computer must output a signal that the tv likes exactly, this usually requires using a progam called Powerstrip.

Justin

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Justin, if it matters the Sony XBR 400 is a "high definition" TV. I think you are saying this VGA to RCA cable, connecting the HD TV to the PC will not work at all, even after setting the PC resolution to 640 x 480?

Dave

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
mmcdlc:

I have a 36XBR400 that I use with my HTPC. You have 2 options:

If you have a PC with svideo/composite video out, you can enable "tv-out" on the card and connect to the tv that way. Look into the ati radeon cards with tv-out, or a geforce series card with tv-out...

OR

You can connect the tv using the vga out...but the cable you have will not work. You will need a vga->component video transcoder. Personally, I use the Audio Authority box, but there are a couple of others that are well regarded (search for transcoder). This route will be more expensive and frankly, for your purposes it probably won't be worthwhile.

I would go for the S-video route to start with....the picture quality won't be stunning...even though the xbr is a HD set....but it's pretty decent.

If you have any specific ???'s...feel free to PM me and I can describe my setup in more detail.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rich, thank you very much! Your saying forget using the componet inputs on the back of the Sony - but to use "S"out of a video card in the PC and go "S" video in on the back of the TV? Forget S to component, right?

Thank you,

Dave

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
There is a faq on this web site that show explicitly how to set the timings with powerstrip to connect a vga out put to an HDTV (you will need to search for it). You will need a normal computer monitor to first set everything up and then after all of the timings are correct you can safely connect to any HDTV.

If your Sony says it will accept xga and has the correct input you will not have to this.

Before going to HDTV resolution I did use s-vhs out to a TV with no problem for email and DVDs.

There is a program called tv tool that helps this out-but I think the latest RADEON and Nvidia drivers will do this now quite well.

Joel

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
You will also need a VGA splitter/extender to do what you want. one vga in two vga out. THey cost less than $100. One vga in two vga out. Distance is over 30 meters.

Joel

·
Registered
697 Posts
hi

i have sony 40 `` xbr700. i connect to htpc.

if you wanna go svideo from htpc.i would buy web plus adapter. i got from www.buy.com.its about $74.00. it has svideo out and rca out. you can plug it to electric out let or feed from keyboard.it takes resolution up to 1024x 768.

it also has pass through vga. so you will connect vga rom adapt to pc then monitor to the other end. you don`t have to change your video card.or any thing its external adapter. http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...12546&loc=101. now if you wanna go componet. you need to get one like mine key digital. has tow vga one in and one out + component out to your tv. also you need to use power strip.

but if only s-video will be enough for you go ahead and buy it .its even cheaper now. its hassle free . and cable provided long enough. you well see when you get it .

safaa

·
Registered
127 Posts
I haven't actually tried sending S-video to my XBR, so I don't know if you will find the picture quality acceptable doing that. I think you will find text quality will be poor (relatively), so you may end up unhappy with the result for your purposes. If there's a cheap way for you to try this route, go right ahead. But, if you have to spend $74+ to try this, I'd recommend using a transcoder instead.

I use the Audio Authority 9A60 VGA->Component transcoder which costs much less (About $120) than the Key Digital units (over $200 I think). It does less, and presumably it's lower quality, but I'm happy with the result. You will need a transcoder (which comes with a VGA cable), and a set of component cables to connect your PC to your XBR this way. You will need a VGA splitter or switch if you are also connecting your PC to your Sharp 9000 as well (which you will want to do once you get the hang of the HTPC thing).

You will also need to do more tweaking of your resolution to use a transcoder, as an S-video port automatically downgrades your resolution to something the XBR will accept.

S-video will be the least complicated route. It will also be the lowest quality route open to you. If you're comfortable learning PC stuff, there's ample description of how to go the transcoder route. If you're at all worried, stay away from that until you have the time to mess with it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Here's are the plus/minus on the two routes (Svideo vs vga->transcoder)

S-video:

+easy to setup, cheap (all you need is a vid card that does svid out...geforce2mx ~$50)

+depending on the card, you can use "pseudo" higher resolutions...I was able to output 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 (all downsampled of course) using my radeon.

-picture quaity of display is lower...all video is downsampled to 640x480 I think, so the higher resolutions look fuzzy.

-can't use special timings, funky resolutions, etc

VGA->transcoder

+Display quality is much clearer -> crisper

+usng the full potential of the display resolutions

-expensive (relatively so at least)

-very limited in what resolutions you can use. I use this option, and I run my desktop at 720x480 (or so...) with 540p timings...so my display is letterboxed.

-Hard to get a high resolution full screen desktop. check this thread for details...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=HTPC+XBR+Wega

If you don't ever plan on using the pc for dvd's or video, I would still suggest trying the svideo route (especially if you already have a vid card with tv-out.) If you do plan on using the system for video...then by all means, give the vga->transcoder a shot...but definately read the thread I referenced above re: the limitations f the XBR's as HTPC displays.

I love my XBR and wouldn't trade it for the world...but it was a bit of a pain to get a HQ display setup.

cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
697 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.