AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get some opinions on wheter you think it is a good idea to buy from a Sony Outlet store. I know they are refurbished, but is it worth the hassle of moving the tv yourself and the discount? Has anybody bought from A Sony Outlet? I am in California? Also what is the best price out there on a new 40"xbr? Thanks, Dan

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Welcome to the AVS forum Dannyboy, I can't answer your question. I am biased because I own a 16 X 9 with 19 inches of vertical height and 33.75 inches of width in my 16 X 9 Digital configuration of my F-38310 38 inch diaginol HDTV. I don't watch 4:3 any more since June of 2001, when I bought my line doubled fully intregrated HDTV. I am watching words form on it right now in typing this response out to you from 5 *feet* away. I am on WebTV and input my webtv unit into my s-video, which get's line doubled and stretched to fill the above 19 X 33.75.

Dannyboy you know that the digital format is 16 X 9, some day your new now set will have to have another set top box, for you to watch Thomas Alva Edisons 4:3 image.

Right now in the USA they are saying 2006 even if it's 2010, you will either have to buy a new Digital 16 X 9 or that set box mentioned earlier. It's your money, I hate to see you lose it by buying an out of date 4:3 format that was invented by Mr. Edison. In the 1950s they invented cameras to film wide screen movies like they all are at you favorite movie theatre.

DannyBoy go out tommorow and take a long look at a 16 X 9 widescreen as that is the future. What you asking about is the image format of the past. I have no choice but to stay home, hob doesn't stand for hobby.

I get out in 'your' world every couple of weeks, next time out is June 5th.

Danny take a peek at my movie page at the bottom, just click on it right under my signature of hob. You would see wide images if you had a widescreen TV. Look at it because what you will be looking at is a squeezed image on your 4:3 on *either* TV you mentioned!:)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
::ahem:: umm... yeah. dan, you will want to take a good, long, hard look at any set before you take the plunge with such new refurb models. the 40" is clearly the best option in my humble opinion, you get a massivey huge 4:3 picrue and an almost 37" 16:9 picture. interestingly enough, that there is the biggest widescreen you can hope to see with a flat screen until someone figures out how to make hob's beloved 38" tube flat. he does make a point, though, 16:9 IS the future, and is the "real" hdtv aspect ratio. you'll generally get a little more resolution out of a 38" 16:9 than that 40" in 16:9 mode. sure, no resolution is technically lost because the raster is readjusted, but there is only so much detail the masking will let through, and the less screen space you use the less detail you'll see, period. it's a fine difference but it's there (case in point-- sony's very own 34" shows greater detail with 16:9 material than the 40" in 16:9 mode...) anyway, spend a lot of time getting to know any set you are likely to be purchasing. and as far as price, considering sony tends to ask exorbitant amounts for their sets (i think the srp on the 40" is somewhere around 4k), you're not likely to get the greatest prices unless you go to a high end store and negotiate them down about a grand. if they're willing to give you the 40" for around 3k, then i'd say it's probably a pretty good deal, and maybe you can even squeeze out a bit more if it's selling for less on big discount sites or ebay. hope this helps, and do consider some 16:9 sets while you look (and remember sony is selling new models in a couple of months with better DRC and HDCP DVI inputs, which may or may not matter)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input. I bought a Toshiba 50H81 not the Hx81 from Best Buy. I never thought I would say this, but the tv is too big for the room. I am so used to tube tv that I was leaning towards returning it and getting the Sony Hi Scan 36 or the RCA 38, or waitinf for the new Sony xbr800. I am torn because I do not want to buy another tv in a few years. Also do you think the 200.00 clean power strip is needed, or a waste of money? I would welcome any biased opinions, Dan

·
Registered
235 Posts
Crutchfield.com has the XBR700 for 2995 including white glove delivery and no tax in most states. i am seriously getting the urge to get this baby. I went to a 50" projection when my 40" mitsubishi tube died over a year ago and really miss the direct view picture.

Frank

'

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Tweeter has the 40" for under 3K and will give it to you for less if you ask, plus free delivery.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Which one Matt....Milford or North Haven and should I ask for anyone special?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought the XBR700 40 incher and have never regretted it. Awesome picture, looks great in the room, even in broad daylight. Only consideration is that it is one HEAVY mother. 300+ pounds!I disguised mine in an antique hutch-the back of the TV goes through the wall-so it only looks 8 inched deep. Several people thought I had a plasma TV!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.