Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am using a JVC XV-S65GD DVD player with my Sony KV-36XBR400 TV and I can watch Anamorphic movies, with correct aspect ratio, in two ways:

1- Set the DVD player to 4:3 Letterbox and the TV's 16x9 setting to OFF.

2- Set the DVD player to 16x9 Auto, or Normal, and the TV's 16x9 setting to ON.

Which option gives me the best resolution? I have only tried one movie "A Bug's Life" the regular issue with the first option and the Collector's Anamorphic issue with the second option.

However, I could barely see any difference, may be it is because it is computer-generated animation and the screen is too small.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

·
Registered
750 Posts
Definitely set the DVD player to 16x9 output.

The XBR should automatically kick into 16:9 mode (assuming your DVD player is not a progressive scan player -- if it is progressive scan, then you must engage the 16:9 compression on the XBR manually).

You really should see I difference on live action movies. I haven't done the same experiment as you, but I noticed a difference when I first got my XBR. I was watching a DVD (some action flick). About 5 minutes into it, I thought to myself, "This picture is not that impressive." I checked my DVD player settings and they were set to 4:3, hence I was not seeing the benefits of the anamorphic transfer. After setting the DVD player to 16:9, the TV's 16:9 compression engaged and the picture was beautiful!

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jason's right. Tell the DVD player you've got a 16x9 TV. Set the TV to auto. Sit back and enjoy. This is when the XBR400 is at its best. If the DVD player is progressive (outputting 480p), the TV is going to default to 4:3 and you're going to have to manually switch it to 16:9 for anamorphically enhanced DVDs. No way to do that that I know of without going through the menus, so a programable remote is in order. But then the picture is better still.

-Curtis

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tried this and it works great!

I just upgraded to a progressive scan DVD player and I did not think it was that great.

But as soon as I changed the player to 16:9 and manually changed the setting on the TV, WOW!

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
83 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE,,,

I have the xbr400, I thought this tv was automatically supposed to switch if it sees a anamorphic dvd in the player. I also have a prog. scan dvd player, So are youguys telling me that only if its a anamorphic dvd in the player to go into the tv menu and change the tv into 16x9 mode??????????

THANKS

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tybo15041
WAIT A MINUTE,,,

I have the xbr400, I thought this tv was automatically supposed to switch if it sees a anamorphic dvd in the player. I also have a prog. scan dvd player, So are youguys telling me that only if its a anamorphic dvd in the player to go into the tv menu and change the tv into 16x9 mode??????????

THANKS
You're right...it will automatically switch to anamorphic mode...unless the signal is 480p from a progressive scan DVD player. In which case, you'll have to manually switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.