AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, how does this sound. I found a manual for my TV online and was surprised.

I found (Amazon) a digital (Dolby 5.1) audio to RCA (left/right) components adapter that I can use from the ATV2. The main questions is, will the ATV2 work with an HDMI to DVI input (Apple tech said no, but some people say yes) in the back of my TV (Sony 36XBR800). In the original Sony TV literature, it states it supports HDCP. Has anything changed in HDCP since 2001-2002 to today? The literature also says the DVI input converts 720p to 1080i. Is that going to be a problem? I have attached a few more screenshots to look at.

I think this is the fix, HDMI to DVI cable (~$20.00) and digital (Dolby 5.1) audio to RCA component cable adapter (~$100). Is the price to steep for the adaptors?

Has anyone had any luck, good or bad with either of these adapters?

This TV is huge, but the super-fine pitch (HI-Scan) look very good. I just want some advise before going this route and wasting money.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hooked up the ATV2 to the Sony 36XBR800 and all went smooth. It appears as if everything is working and I have a 16x9 picture. I have no idea if it is 720p or 1080i though. This TV is supposed to up-convert 720p to 1080i by itself. I cannot locate anything in the TV or ATV2 menu to tell me the resolution. I do not have an HD DirecTV box, only standard. The picture quality has always been very clear on this beast. No HDCP errors either.

The one thing I gathered from the Apple forums is to not let it download and install the newest update. It seems to down-convert all DVI connections to 480P.

All streaming works great and I am going to see how Airplay works.

It was nice to not have to buy a new TV just yet. Extra money for X-mas gifts.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Congrats on finding a solution to your problem. Your XBR800 is a fine example of Sony's great CRTs. A few comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboychuck /forum/post/19543489

.... but the super-fine pitch (HI-Scan) look very good......

The XBR800s do not have SFP (super fine pitch) tubes. They are Hi-Scan, only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboychuck /forum/post/19595410

..... I have no idea if it is 720p or 1080i though. This TV is supposed to up-convert 720p to 1080i by itself. I cannot locate anything in the TV or ATV2 menu to tell me the resolution...

The Sony crts scan the tube at a fixed 1080i. All other resolutions are upconverted/converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboychuck /forum/post/19595410

.....It was nice to not have to buy a new TV just yet. Extra money for X-mas gifts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have the cash to go out and buy a new tv and I am the original owner of this set. The picture, compared to other crt's is great. Even with a digital only DirecTV Box it looks great. All other crts were grainy.

I made the ATV2 work with this tv and I am ok with letter-boxed. The picture size at 16x9 is about 33inch.

Do you know of any way to use the tv remote or ??? to help me display the resolution I am seeing on the tv? Would this tv down-convert 720p to 480p, or try and up-convert to 1080i?

I will be happy with what I have until I can afford a new TV.

Thanks.

I just sent the following email to Apple...

If a device is only capable of producing a 720p resolution, why is is producing 480p?

My tv will accept 720p, even though it may convert it to 1080i, I think.

If the ATV2 did what its marketing people say, and all of its literature, then I should be getting 720p.

I do not care if it is letterboxed, as I expected it to be on a 4:3 tv.

I am just a bit frustrated. I have been a longtime supporter and purchaser of Apple products and I am disappointed in them this time. Not everyone can go out an drop cash on a new tv. I am one of those. My tv is an HDTV (480p, 720p and 1080i) and HDCP compatible. It should all work, like everything else I have purchased. Everything does work, except the resolution! Converting an HDMI output to DVI should not be the issue. I am getting all the video content through this cable. I just had to use the optical audio and convert to RCA.

Thanks for listening to my rant all.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The set should upconvert all input resolutions to 1080i. I seem to recall that the initial screen, upon entering the service mode, will indicate the resolution of the current input signal. Read up on the process and be very careful when entering and exiting the service mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts