AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a choice of purchasing either a 'NEW' Sony 36XBR800(stand included) for $2000 or a basically new,'Demo' Panasonic CT-36HX41 for $995.

Either way, I'm moving up to a 36" HD set (Cox provides the HD set-top box for an additional $7 per mo.)

Right now, I watch mostly PPV TV movie channels as well as the occasional DVD(which I'm sure will increase with the purchase of the new HD set)

I've read all the posts about 4:3 vs 16:9 and I've DEFINITELY decided to go with the 4:3 now so that is not even an issue now.

My thinking is that things will have changed in a big way in 3-4 yrs. down the road when most of the material available will be wide-screen and I'll lay out the $$ then for a "good, large" wide-screen plasma set(or whatever the best happens to be at that time)

For now, I can get the 'better' Sony or I can get the 'real good' Panasonic for $1000 less ( to be saved now and spent down the road on a really good wide-screen set )

Is the Sony really worth the extra $1000 over the Panasonic?

OR, should I save the $$ now, go with the Panasonic and be happy I got a good 36" HD set for $1000?

Any thoughts or help on the subject would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Only your eyes can really tell which TV has the better PQ, and if that PQ is worth the bucks. Panny's are good TV's, and they are waaay ahead in the Plasma game at this time.

I have the 40XBR, which is similar (except for screen size) to the 36XBR you're considering, and I've been extremely happy w/this TV. This is a transition TV for me, and like yourself I'll be shopping for a really large screen (possibly Plasma) in about 6-9 years. The XBR's are Sony's Best and your deal sounds solid, as the Stand could set you back about $500 if bought separately. Is it worth $1000 more than the Panny? For me it was, but you'll have to decide for yourself and your particular situation.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If I was making this decision it would be a matter of price ,you can't really

compare a $1000 TV to a $2000 TV its more like what want to spend.If

your going for a new TV and you want 36" for around $2000 I would get

the Sony 40 Xbr with stand (about $2300)

. The Panasonic may be a $2000 TV I am not familiar with there crts,I am

sure it is a decent set, but it is a $1000.

Is it used or a floor sample does it have a warranty. apples

to apples if it is a good deal jump on it, otherwise decide how much you want to spend

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I did a price scan on search I got everything from $1999-$3149 with

Cructhfield selling $2499 so if there at $2500 I figure $2300 seems fare,

no?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yep, sure enough, 40XBR - $2300 at mydigitaluniverse.com, and it includes the Sony Stand. That's a $700 price drop and definitely a good deal!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
barty, we were speaking of the 40XBR rather than the 36XBR, and recommend going for the larger 40"er for only $300 more.

·
Registered
573 Posts
bartty

Welcome to AVS forum. There is good advice here and I like my xbr but look at the big financial picture for you right now. Is the Sony $1000 better or do you need home theater, DVD player, DVR, cables, or need to pay cable, satellite, or netflix costs? We are not as rich as Bill Gates so it is a relative sort of thing. Some really like Panny direct views but most would prefer the big Sony xbr if it is in the budget. Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I'd like the 40" set, my space limits me to choosing a 36" set so that's not an issue.

I could afford either set.

(of course, who wouldn't want to save $1,000 on a comparable,36" HD set) The Panasonic 'demo' comes with the full warranty as if new.

They had the sets almost side by side at the store that has the Panasonic demo I'd be getting.

The Sony didn't 'look' $1000 better.

Like cajieboy, this is a 'transition' set for me.

I'd like to save the $1000 but I want to get the set that will best serve me for the next 5-6 yrs.

But, and this is a big but; I don't know how long the demo has been on the floor, playing day in,day out.

(A salesman, other than the mine, told me it had only been on display for about for 3-4 weeks)

Being on for a month is a big difference than being on display for 6-12 months.(even with the full warranty)

Is there any accurate,honest way of finding out just how long a demo has been on the display? Do the big chains keep these types of records?

Thank you very much for any help,suggestions.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Never believe a Salesman. I don't know if there is a way to tell how long

a TVs been out ,I'm sure someone will tell you here. If the TV looks

good jump on it at that price. but make sure you find out how long it's been

on display. Chk feature list.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I don't know if this true w/Panny TV's, but the Sonys have the mfg. date on the back of the TV. This may give you some idea of how old the TV.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yes try to check the build date on the back of the set. That model number is last year's model, the replacement 36HX42 has been out for at least 6 months. So it might be a year old or more.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 'build date' could be as old as 2 yrs ago as the 36HX41 is last yrs. model, probably made the year before. While I'd be able to find out when it was made, this would have little bearing on how long the set's actually been running as a demo unit out on the floor(which is the key).

That's what I'm primarily concerned with and am wondering if there's an accurate,honest way to access this type of information.

Any employees's out there that might lend me some ideas in as far as going about finding out this type of information(demo time on floor)?.

If the set's been on display for 6-8 months, running all day every day, then getting the NEW Sony would probably be the better choice(even though the Demo comes with a full warranty as new).

If I can find that it's only been out on display for a month or two, then the $1000 savings over the Sony would be worthwhile I'd think.

Again, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ask why there selling the floor model. Are they not caring thisTV anymore

is it to make room for a new model? Do they have a new Panasonic (same

model in stock?) In my opinion 3 weeks doesn't sound right, you take a brand new TV, put it on display. Then try selling it below cost 3 weeks latter?

Not very cost effective. doesn't mean it can't happen, but if it seems to good. to be true...you might want to find some middle ground between the too TVs,try looking at some models between $1000 and $2000.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
brentski, now you see it, now you don't. Your post disappeared for some reason. CC is very good on their extended warranties. If you decide on the Panny, the extended warranty could easily cover your backside in the event you have troubles down the road.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The sony is the better set IMO but not $1000 better. If that Pani is really in the like new condition you say it is, that would be my choice unless of course you can afford the sony without worrying about the extra grand you just spent.

If that demo unit was on the regular demo floor running at al times the store was open I would definitelly pass on it unless they give you a great warranty. But even then if they have to replace the set, you will get the new model which doesn't squeeze 480i/p signals. If you want to be sure, go with a new set.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Is it "bartty" or "brentski"??

Owning the Sony XBR's for almost 15 years (my latest being the 40XBR since DEC.) I admit I'm biased towards their tubes. But $1000 is not chicken feed, and couple that w/your future desire to change TV's in 3-4 years, I'd have to say I would lean towards saving your bucks on whatever will satisfy your needs at this interim time until you lay out really serious cash on a large screen Plasma or whatever. Be sure to get the extended warranty, which I would advise on any expensive TV.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was planning on using the 'Visa warranty manager" you get when you use the gold card. It automatically adds a year to the manufacturers warranty and you can extend it to 5 yrs for an additional $140.(which I had planned to do) .They cover things like power surges and the remotes which the manufacturers warranty doesn't.

Is there some reason that this isn't a good way to go ??

Is the warranty through C City any better?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I went for the CC 5-year Warranty which is suppose to cover EVERYTHING, including power surges and remote. Another thing is that if CC has to come out to your house to repair the TV more than 3 times, they will replace your TV with whatever current model is available. I wonder what a current model of the 40XBR will look like in 4-5 years???

If there is someone on this forum that works for CC, please feel free to join in this thread w/a little inside info.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.