AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have a 40" EX400, and i am trying to calibrate the TV. I used pixar calibration patterns available in toystory bluray and also AVS HD 709 that was available in this forum.

I am newbie into calibration, so please excuse me in case i am asking dumb questions.

The problem is i am not able to set the picture (contrast) properly. For example in AVS HD 709, for chapter 3 it says the pattern after 244+ should be invisible, when getting the contrast for 0 towards 100, but at 0 also i can see most of the flashes after 244 and even at 100 i could see it similar (except for some light reducing). Similarly in the pixar setup, some of the bars that needs to be invisible, dont go invisible at any setting of picture (Contrast).

I am not sure if this is how sony is, or if i am missing something or if i managed to get a faulty piece.

Can someone help me on this?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Follow the three rules for setting contrast ...

Rule #1 is no clipping. You want to see as many white boxes regardless of what the disney disc asks you.

Rule #2 is no discoloration. You do not want any of the near white boxes to turn pink or yellow or light blue.

Rule #3 is eye fatigue factors. MAke sure the backlight is set so that it does not hurt your eyes looking at the contrast pattern for instance. (This is a moving target)

regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Michael.

Good to know that if i see all the white bars/boxes in disney bluray or AVS HD 709, is not an issue
. I was a little worried and thinking if i need to return the TV

I will go by this rule tomorrow morning and let you know.

I also had a question, i dont know where to get the blue filter glasses in Surrey BC (I am asking this, as i saw you were from calgary
). I tried online sources within canada, but did not find any.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
THX.com store has blue filters for sale ... $1.99 plus shipping.

Outside of that ... I know of no place to get a blue filter short of spending $25 and buying a test disc ... and they always have blue filters included in them. Then you are stuck with a test disc.

regards

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/19533671

THX.com store has blue filters for sale ... $1.99 plus shipping.

Outside of that ... I know of no place to get a blue filter short of spending $25 and buying a test disc ... and they always have blue filters included in them. Then you are stuck with a test disc.

regards

I ordered the THX blue glasses on their website. The cost was $1.99 + p&p... can't remember precisely the total, but it was around $4 - $5, and that was to the UK!

Suitable test discs can be downloaded from various sites for free and burnt to standard DVD, then played back on BluRay machines in Hi-Def!

Mike, Northwest UK.

And NOW I've read the previous replys properly, I realise you probably knew that already! Sorry!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts