AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at an ad from my local "Good Guys" electronics store. It says this model has a "new" DVI Interface. Is this a new model? Seems like this 40" HDTV model has been out for a while already.

Anyone know details about this set? New model? Re-design of old model?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The KV-40XBR800 is the latest version and the 3rd generation (XBR450 & XBR700) updated Sony 40" TV. The 40XBR is the flagship of the Sony Direct View TV's w/all the latest high tech video electronics, and the DVI interface is one of them. I've owned mine since Dec. and it has far surpassed all my expectations in every way.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The true flagship of the Sony XBR line is the 34XBR800, which is a true WIDESCREEN HDTV set. The 40XBR800 is only an old-fashioned 4:3 model.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just ignore Don. While the moderators here sleep, Don trashes any threads that discuss 4:3 TV sets. You should get the TV that best suits your needs, not what some hell-bent, widescreen fanatic with bad information tells you.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Flagshig smagship If the XBR 800 was not such a beast (I think it weighs in at 300 pounds ) I would snatch that baby right up. Do I think the 34 XBR 800 is a great TV , oh yeah the picture Ive seen in the store was amazing. I am

just waiting on the 34 910 ( which is another story altogether) as far

as upgrading the XBR 40 I don't think they did this , I think it always had the DVI port. But it's not unheard of, updating the same model with some

new stuff. I think (not sure) that they did this with the HS 500 added

a DVI port

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The 40XBR isn't for everyone, but I certainly have enjoyed mine. I too considered the weight and true it's a heavy fella, but then who plays musical chairs w/their large screen direct view TV's? I think Wrongberg is aching for a big screen and interupts these 40XBR posts w/his usual misinformation.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
(QUOTE) I think Wrongberg is aching for a big screen and interupts these 40XBR posts w/his usual misinformation.

OH you mean this is a a physc type thing, like mother and Fasha.I want

what I can't have cool.

the only reason I mention the weight is I have moved my current XBR around a few times and it was a hassle and lt's just 32" (puppy)

also I think the distance for my viewing might be a little to close

unless anyone has this 40 hanging.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yeah, that's what I mean...a psych thing w/Wrongberg.

About weight and size of the 40XBR, that's one of the things I meant by saying this TV isn't for everyone. You really need a decent size room for the best viewing and effect, and a small room is really not ideal for any of the larger screen TV's, be it Direct View, RPTV, Plasma, or whatever. I plan to use my 40XBR as my main viewing TV for about 6-8 years before I invest in a REALLY large screen Home Theater. You should get whatever is best for your particular needs and viewing habits.

As for the updated 34XBR910 Super Fine Pitch due out this Summer, I too am interested in this TV, which I understand will be a substantial upgrade. I'm thinking this would be a great 2nd TV for my bedroom or another room in the house. Right now, I have retired my very much older 27" XBR to the bedroom, and the damn thing refuses to die! Talk about getting your money's worth! I look forward to checking out the 910 in a few months and if you're considering widescreen TV, this may be well worth the wait.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in California, do I have to pay sales tax if I buy it from Crutchfield? My local "Good Guys" and the Sony site all collect the tax.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The XBR700 did not have the DVI port, the XBR800 does. These were the only 40" models released. the 700 was in 2001, the 800 was in 2002.

If you want to get it at goodguys. Go to Goodguys.com and see if they have this set. There is a 10% off coupon you can use and they have free shipping and no tax as they are based in OR where you do not pay sales tax.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Noway, I would never want a 40XBR800, you are totally wrong cajeboy! If I needed a larger set than the 34" widescreen set - I would go for a 42" or 50" 16:9 WIDESCREEN plasma display! I would never buy an old-fashioned 4:3 set ever again, and I recommned others to avoid 4:3 sets as well - the future is now and its WIDESCREEN! Ignore the old-fuddy-duddies like Kadman who want everyone to stick with 4:3 sets!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
har, har, Wrongberg you crack me up w/your "us against them" fanatical fervor. I hear there's a job opening in the Iraqi Information Ministry! You're hurting big time for a 40"er...I feel your pain.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Watch as I prove Don to be a liar for abouth the 100th time.

Don, please show me where I stated that everyone should stick to 4:3 sets. You can't, can you? Just like all the rest of the times, it's a lie. On the contrary, I continue to state that everyone should get the TV that best suits their needs. You and you alone are the only one who constantly feels it necessary to ruin perfectly good threads around here with your tired "widescreen is the ONLY way" garbage.

Can you stop with the lies please?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Doesn't he have to pay tax if there is a local goodguys? (same city,state)

or is Goodguys.com a different retailer altogether

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Kadman, at this stage it's starting to become comical in nature when Wrongberg chirps into the 40XBR posts. I've already figured it out that he subconciously desires a 40"er more than anything in the world.

dcstager, as noted this is one heavy TV and best to get one from a reputable dealer that will deliver it, set it up, and come get it if anything goes awry. I also recommend the extended warranty as one visit from a Sony Tech could easily cover such cost should (heaven forbid) you ever need a fix in the next 5 years.

The Sony Stand for the 40XBR is more a necessity rather than an option due to the weight and prone to front tipping (very thick heavy glass). Some folks have purchased their own stands and I've heard Sanus has a good one, but most stores are including the $500 Sony Stand in their deal and the stand IS designed perfectly for this TV w/correct height, etc.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Yes - Kadman's and cajieboy's constant attacks against WIDESCREEN owners indicates to me they both subconciously desire a true widescreen set! I too only recommend the proper type of set to prospective buyers, and the set for the future is obviously a WIDESCREEN set in all cases! So Kadman should recommend it too! But I have never seen him do so in any case, always only a 4:3 set.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Don, Don, Don...calm down, getta grip guy. In these severe cases of angst and anxiety I can only advise you to trot on down to your local CC and watch a 40XBR for an hour or so. Yes sir, that'll do the trick! Who knows, you might even get a good deal on a 40"er.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.