AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found theses settings for my new Sony 40" XBR800 can anybody explain these numbers so I can adjust my tv I am not tech preson MODE= STANDARD (ONLY USE THIS! and forget the rest!)

PICTURE= 19/64

BRIGHTNESS= 42/64

COLOR= 32/64 (50%)

HUE= 50% (default)

SHARPNESS= 64/64 (100%)

·
Registered
741 Posts
The 64 is the bar adjustment scale. Since sony doesn't display number valuse for these settings you have to move the bar till you get the right values. 19/64 means from zero, you push + or > 19 times, this will give you roughly 30% the way up the scale. 32/64 means exactly in the middle.

I wouldn't recomment setting the sharpness all the way up as this will add unwanted artifacts. On my sony 32HV600, I set the sharpness at about 30%.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Those picture and brightness settings seem reasonable based on what I've found in tuning with Avia, though it's worth keeping in mind that what your settings should be depends highly on your room lighting. That said, AFAIK the rule of thumb is to keep the picture setting below 32 and if you still can't get your whites to look truly white even with that then you should look into getting your room dimmer instead. :) Color and hue should remain right in the middle with this set, though you'll have some overemphasis in the reds (aka "red push"). I was able to correct this on my set in the service menus but that's probably beyond what you're willing to do. :)

Personally, I use a sharpness up 12 notches from the left (13/64?). As Avia suggested, it seems rather soft after doing that initially, but I do indeed notice fine detail with the lower setting now that I could not with the default settings. Also make sure to turn off ClearEdge VM for the same reason.

Last thing would be the DRC settings, which only apply to non-HD feeds. The DRC settings seem to be a pretty personal thing, but I've personally found that keeping them down to the lower end (the default 25 /1 setting for reality / clarity I find to be fine) is better than the higher end, again for the same reason of wanting to avoid having sharpness too high.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I set up my 40XBR800 on the component Video 5, and got good levels, but I notice that when I switch to Video 1 to watch my digital cable, the picture looks way to bright and the black levels are way to high. Has anyone else noticed this? I am assuming that AVIA only sets the TV up for the specific source (dvd player) and that my digital cable box displays at different levels

and intensity? Is there anyway to adjust for my specific Digital Cable box Motorola DCT something or other (I'm at work right now)? I can do it by eye and I get a much better picture, so I'm thinking I will just use the AVIA settings and input those into the Movie Mode, and adjust the Digital cable settings in the Standard Mode and then just set up the Macro on my remote to switch between to two. Any other suggestions??

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I also calibrated mine using component input 5, though I haven't noticed any problems of the colors seeming way different on the different inputs myself. Maybe I'll try hooking up my DVD player (temporarily a PS2 ) through one of the S-Video inputs and see if Avia gives me different settings. If so, I'd say your idea of using the different modes to be calibrated for the different inputs to be a good one, probably the best way to handle such a situation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
a bit off-topic, but are all of you using the sony stand w/ your 40"XBR? i'm ready to buy a Sony 40XBR800 but i can't use the stand due to it jutting out another 6" or so. any other options for stands? i've read thru the threads in this forum about other options, but wanted to talk specifically to the 40" owners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.