AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase my first LCD TV..... Ive owned a bunch of Sony Trinitron CRTs! On a google search, I cam across this highly informative forum, and hope you all can help!


After a lot of reading here and other place, Ive short listed two TVs: the Sony 40V5100 and Sony 40XBR7.


from what I read, the XBR7 is previous year's model, but both cost the same.


My question to all you awesome guys is- which one out of the two would u recommend me to buy? I am leaning towards the XBR7, but its the last year's model, which is putting me off.


thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys.... there's got to be a lot of Sony zealots here who can help me out
!


From what I've found, it seems as if the XBR7 is a lot better feature-wise than the 40V5100- but I am an idiot when it comes to HDTVs so I couldve misunderstood...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts
Since you are already aware that the XBR7 is a 2008 model, if that doesn't bother you then that's certainly the one I would select. The 2009 V5100 is Sony's "entry level" 120hz TV while the XBR7 is one of Sony's best, even though it is a year old. Good luck in your decision. Again, my vote is for the XBR7, especially given that they are now the same price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response BoilerJim. Yeah I'm leaning towards the XBR as well.... would you say that the technology used in the XBR7 is outdated compared to the V5100... in terms of performance.


Also I saw that the XBR is a 10bit panel, where as the v5100 is an 8bit one. Is there a big difference between these?


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFloyd /forum/post/16986414


Thanks for the response BoilerJim. Yeah I'm leaning towards the XBR as well.... would you say that the technology used in the XBR7 is outdated compared to the V5100... in terms of performance.


Also I saw that the XBR is a 10bit panel, where as the v5100 is an 8bit one. Is there a big difference between these?


Thanks!

Yes, TVs with 10-bit panels are theoretically better than those with 8-bit panels because they can display a wider range of colors. However, the human eye really can't distinguish the difference but the quality of TVs using 10-bit panels always seems to be better overall.


And, no, the technology in the XBR7 is not outdated by any means. Would you rather have a 2008 Corvette or a 2009 Impala if both were the same price?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 /forum/post/16986670


get the XBR7 apart from having the 240hz,it also has much better sound quality.

The XBR7 does not have 240hz. It has 120hz. It does have superior sound quality, however, because of the larger vertical side speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 /forum/post/16986670


get the XBR7 apart from having the 240hz,it also has much better sound quality.

As far as I know, the 40XBR7 runs at 120Hz, but I could be wrong. [EDIT: BoilerJim beat me to it!]




I also just noticed that the XBR7 has a response time of 8ms. I looked around, but couldn't find the response time rating of the 40V5100. I read somewhere that I should try to stick with a response time of 4ms or less.


Should I be concerned about this? I would mostly be using the display for console gaming, external display for my computer, DVD/BluRay movies and occasional TV in HD.


Thanks for the help folks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/16986762


The XBR7 does not have 240hz. It has 120hz. It does have superior sound quality, however, because of the larger vertical side speakers.

my bad,didn't know he was looking for the 40" version.but still the xbr7 as the BE2 EX version compared to just BE2 for the V5100.the BE2 Ex does better De interlacer,better upscaling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys....


Im ready to pull the trigger- the only thing that Im looking for thoughts on is the 8ms response time on 40XBR7... I couldnt find the response time of the 40V5100....



Do you think 8ms would really be noticeable as opposed to 4/5ms?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I read, it seems that even though the XBR7 is previous year's model, it still matches up, and in some cases, exceeds the technology that drives the 40V5100.


I think I will go ahead with the 40XBR7 and see how well it lives up to my expectations; if it doesn't- I might exchange it for the 40V5100..


Hopefully I am not screwing myself by doing this!


PS. Can anyone tell me how does the return process work if you buy the TV online? Does someone come to my place to pick it up, or do I have to take it to UPS/FedEx?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFloyd /forum/post/16997123


From what I read, it seems that even though the XBR7 is previous year's model, it still matches up, and in some cases, exceeds the technology that drives the 40V5100.


I think I will go ahead with the 40XBR7 and see how well it lives up to my expectations; if it doesn't- I might exchange it for the 40V5100..


Hopefully I am not screwing myself by doing this!


PS. Can anyone tell me how does the return process work if you buy the TV online? Does someone come to my place to pick it up, or do I have to take it to UPS/FedEx?

amazon is the best place to handle your dilemma
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KDL-40XBR7-40-Inch-1080p/dp/B001GJADP6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250249163&sr=8-1


they are one of the top - trusted online store due to good service and good return policies. some further reading will help you to trust them.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top