AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a Sony 40XBR700. It has been great, but sometimes I notice a slight yellow/green tint around the corners of the screen that bleeds outward. Kind of annoying considering the money I spent. Any owners or readers of this board heard of this phenomena? Is this something I should invoke warranty/service to look after or is it a common occurence with this set?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 32XBR450, one month old. I was noticing when viewing the TV with a white background, the right and left side of the screen is slightly darker (maybe a 3" width) and also has a slight pink or magenta color to it. I had a service guy around to look at it, and he said this is normal for flat screen TV’s. I asked him if he was a Sony tech. and he replied he works on all kinds of TV’s and that he is "authorized" to work on behalf of Sony.

I then called the sales person at "The Sony Store" where I purchased the TV, and explained the problem to him and expressed my concern over the fact that it was not a Sony expert who looked at my set. The sales rep agreed to come over to my house and see for himself the problem I was having. After seeing the dark/pink bands he said he would contact Sony and have one of their techs come over and evaluate the set, and then I could decide to keep it, or return it. As it stands now I am waiting for an appointment with the Sony tech.

The problem I am describing is very subtle, but none the less, still there. I’II wait and see what Sony has to say. I have read on other forums that this can be problem, and that if I request another set, it may turn out to be better, or worse.

See this tread which I started about this problem.

HERE

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought an XBR450 last October with a similar problem and had it replaced. The new set does not have the problem. My set had a green tint in the lower left corner that was obvious when the screen was white. I bought the unit at Harvey Electronics and asked them to replace it. They told me it was probably due to a nearby magnet (I told them there was none). A repair service then was sent to deguass the set which was a waste of time. The repair service wanted to replace the tube - so I called Harvey Electronics and the manager agreed to provide a new set, instead. The new set works fine

The original set also had a slight problem that may be related or just coincidental. When I ran the White Level test (picture control on the Sony) using the Avia DVD, the verticle bars bent slightly at high white levels. According to Avia this is due to an inadequate power supply. The new set does not showing any bending at high white levels.

Andy

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
FWIW, I had a similar problem with my Sony XBR a few years ago. Turned out it was because I had shifted the position of the set after I had first plugged it in (large screen sets are fussy with respect to orientation relative to the earth's axis). The solution was simple--physically unplugged the set from the outlet, waited a few minutes, then plugged it back in. Not sure if it will help here, but it's an easy fix to try...

Good luck,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
45 Posts
I too have seen this phenomena. Last night I moved the TV to swap out some cables and when I moved it back, I saw the greenish tint in the upper and lower left hand corners of my 32" HS500 that I just purchased a week and a half ago. I say "greenish tint" but it really varied with the color of the background in the area - yellows appeared bluish green, whites appeared yellow, blues appeared green, etc. It was late so I powered off the TV (didn't unplug it) and this morning, when I turned it on again the set was functioning perfectly. I am going to keep a close eye on it and see if it reappears in the future. Keeping my fingers crossed...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.