AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How should I connect a Sony Direct TV SAT HD100 receiver to a Sony 42" Plasma (1024 x 1024)? Should I use the (RCA) YUV out or the VGA out? The Plasma has a VGA in so a break-out cable would be needed for the YUV out (not a problem)

Which do you recommend and why?

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ed,

What did you end up using? I have a firend I've been helping setup his stuff. He has the same equipment. Currently we have tried VGA -> VGA and for the life of me I can't get the picture to move all the way to the left. No matter what settings I try there is about 3 inches of black on the left side. I can move it right, stretch, or shrink it. I just can't move it far enough left. I read in a couple other threads that this is most likely a problem with the SAT-HD100s VGA out. Next we are going to try using a break-out cable.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi...Interjected a view; 'cause I've tried it months ago on a Mitsu. HD...the same result on a Sony. The HD-100 'syncs' on green I'm told, and therefore you will get the border. It (the VGA connection) is presumably only for those using the older-design RCA boxes or others with a VGA only out, and that just using the 3 (PY, PB, PR) is all appropriate for connecting HD; just like the owner's manual suggests.

I did use a breakout cable for a Sony high-res. monitor, but only from a computer, and not from a STB. Incidentally, on a new 57XBR2, the signal strength is so great (So. Fla., around an incredible 98-100 for CBS and a few points lower for the others) and the resolution so good, that there's not a reason I can imagine for bothering with breakouts at this point. Just a thought. Good luck!

gene

gene inger

ingerletter.com

·
Registered
374 Posts
gene,

I'm having a little trouble understanding exactly what you were trying to say...

Are you saying that the Sony VGA out uses RGB synced on Green, instead of using the H_sync and V_sync lines?

Are you saying that if possible you should always use the component outs?

Also when we are talking about using a break out cable, we are using it reversed from most people. The Sony plasma screen only has VGA connectors for input. They can either take an RGB signal or a YUV signal (which we are using the break out cable for). I guess it would make more sense to call it a Break-in cable.

-apnar

[This message has been edited by apnar (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw the same thing with my Pioneer 50" Plasma and the Sony HD100. The only thing that worked was using the component cables. The VGA didn't work at all. Same issue, picture off to the right.

Now it looks fantastic although there is a delay when surfing as the plasma changes sync mode when you go from HD to non-HD.

Matt

·
Registered
374 Posts
matt,

Do you use the variable mode or the 1080i all the time mode? I would imagine if you switched to the 1080i all the time mode then there would be no need to resync. Although in doing that you may lose some quality on the 480 broadcasts since they get scaled twice.

-apnar

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the variable mode. It does a pretty good job sizing the frames to my liking. Works pretty well (and looks fantastic) with the component cables.

I just wish the Sony HD100 guide was more responsive and still had the jump loop feature. I use 2 other boxes (older) that are a real joy to operate. It is only the HD100 that is slow.

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.