AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just visited my local Costo and the store has a Sony 42" plasma for $5699. How does the 42" Sony compare to the Panasonic 42" in terms of picture quality, deinterlacing, blacks? I haven't seen too much said about the Sony on this forum.

Thanks for nay info.

Boris

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Boris:

From what little I've seen, Sony plasmas aren't well-regarded on this forum and certainly aren't in the same league as the Panny. The price may be right, however. It depends on how much you want to spend and what trade-offs you're willing to accept.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
I haven't seen too much said about the Sony on this forum.
That's because it was discussed over a year ago and discounted as suffering from false contouring and poor PQ with non HD sources.

Do a search on Sony in the plasma forum or PFM42B and you will see all that has been said.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the Sony, I love it and am happy with it, but the Pannys are definately better. The Pannys weren't available when I bought mine, so I still thing I got a good deal.

If I had to do it noe though, I would definately get the Panny.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I prefer the Panasonic over the Sony myself. But remember that the PFM32B1 is about a year or so old. A lot has changed since then. The Hitachi CMP4121HDU uses the same glass but is already a newer generation (plus has superior inputs to offer). Put the 2 side by side & the Sony looks real soft.

If you get a chance to see Sony's newest screen, the 32C1, you'll see an improvement from the PQ of the 32B1. I expect the 42B1 to get revamped after INFOCOM. I believe the Panasonic has already had a couple of changes just within the past year.

Have you given any consideration to the NEC42MP3?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't seen the NEC MP3 in any local stores, so I'm hesitant to purchase one, given that I know and like the Panasonic 42".

How do they compare against each other? Do you know anyone in San Jose, CA who has one on display?

·
Registered
479 Posts
The NEC MP3 is imho the best bang for the buck in the 42" plasma market. Although I believe the Panny 42" is pretty close in price. You cant go wrong with either.

Regards,

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.