Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking here for some time.

My wife gave me the go ahead to spend $3,000 on a new TV. I can get the Sony KDE 42A10, plus the extended warranty, plus the stand for around $2,600 or I can get the Panasonic plasma TH42PX5OU for $3,000 but no warranty. Adding the warranty and stand to the plasma price means I need about $3,800 or $1,200 more than the 42A10. Could probably talk wife into if I really thought it was worth it!

I really love the plasma picture but believe I could be happy with the 42A10 because I wouldn't have to worry about problems for 4 years because I would have the extended warranty.

I have seen both pictures and while the plasma is better, is it worth $1,200 more? I just don't want to get one or the other and have any remorse. It's a big investment and I'm hoping others have gone through it and can tell me which way they went.

No smart-ass comments please.

Thanks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
First off both are good tv's that you will enjoy. I think the decision would of been hard had you gotten the warranty on the plasma and none on the a10 but the choice is easy. Save the $1,200 and get the tv that will last you a very very long time with no worry of burn in and the best thing is no diminishing return. Plasmas are great but do realize that the great picture at day one is not there in year two. Yes plasmas have longer life spans now but the picture still deteriorates as the years go by. The a10 will be great now and later and give you many years of happiness.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would get the 50" sony if you can, I purchased the tv, stand and 3 year warranty from sam's for the same price you mentioned above.

Check out sam's club or HH Gregg's if you have one near by

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will be using the TV to watch football, basketball, movies and network programming. We have cable but will switch over to digital cable with HDTV when we get the new TV. We will only have our DVD player and the cable box hooked up to the TV and I'm not sure about the cable box versus the cable card. I may add an inexpensive surround sound later on.

The TV will be in our living room. Most of the seating for viewing the TV will be 9-12 feet away. The TV will be positioned in the corner of the room and will not have any windows close by.

I expect to buy it mid-February when my wife is on vacation in Jamaica with girlfriends. Gives me a week to set it up and watch by myself!

To put everything in perspective, we currently have a 27" Sharp TV!

Plasma or projection LCD?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm in the same boat, looking at the same units with the same requirements. Does plasma really have a reputation of degrading over time? Does LCD projection or DLP or ILA really have reliability problems? What to do.

·
Registered
15,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeg
I'm in the same boat, looking at the same units with the same requirements. Does plasma really have a reputation of degrading over time? Does LCD projection or DLP or ILA really have reliability problems? What to do.
Yes and yes. Plasmas will slowly lose PQ until they are toast. Fortunately, that will take 10-15 years. But, RP LCDs and DLPs will look like new whenever you replace the bulb. Yes, there are certainly reliability issues with all the microdisplays (DLP, LCD, LCOS - bulbs, light engines, etc, etc), although my 28-month-old Samsung DLP has worked perfectly so far. I would therefore recommend an EW no matter which technology or brand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Indy Dude.

Went to my local Sam's Club and they have the 50A10 plus stand for just under $2,400. They also have a three year warranty that begins when the manufacturers warranty ends for under $200.

So for $2,600 plus tax, I can get the 50" screen, stand and 4 years of warranty. I need to check to see if bulbs are covered. If they are, it's a no brainer - get the LCD projection TV!

Are you happy the the 50A10 Indy Dude? My wife and I watch sports and movies mostly. I really want to buy for the SuperBowl and the winter Olympics in February. I've really seen quite a few sets but most of the time they are playing DVD's or some promotional stuff.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbears
Are you happy the the 50A10 Indy Dude? My wife and I watch sports and movies mostly.
Fourbears, you'll want to check out both the "Official" A10 Thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=188&pp=30 and the A10 settings/tweeks thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=16&pp=30

If you read these threads, especially the tweeks threads, you'll see that there are many who own this set and love the picture quality. There is alot to read, but the more info the better!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbears
Thanks Indy Dude.

Went to my local Sam's Club and they have the 50A10 plus stand for just under $2,400. They also have a three year warranty that begins when the manufacturers warranty ends for under $200.

So for $2,600 plus tax, I can get the 50" screen, stand and 4 years of warranty. I need to check to see if bulbs are covered. If they are, it's a no brainer - get the LCD projection TV!

Are you happy the the 50A10 Indy Dude? My wife and I watch sports and movies mostly. I really want to buy for the SuperBowl and the winter Olympics in February. I've really seen quite a few sets but most of the time they are playing DVD's or some promotional stuff.
First thing I thought when I read your initial thread is you can get the 50 inch A-10 for the same money or less if you look around. I own this set and both movies and sports are amazing. I would think any quality HD set would equally impress. I chose the A-10 and am very pleased. Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just got my 42 a10 a week ago, so far the picture is excellent for ota hd and regular sd satellite with a dvi/hdmi connection is a very good picture (of course not nearly as good as hd) and I can stretch the 4:3 images to fill the screen and they still look good. DVD'S and ps2 games are excellent also. I have seen the plasma also correct picture is good but I have read that regular sd is not great on plasmas considering the % of sports and movies that are not in hd at this point.

I agree with the above posts the 50a10 at sms clb or cstco have a great deal with the stand and they also have extended warranties very cheap compared to bb or cc. hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for input.

I keep going back and for between the 50A10 and the plasma and I'm just not sure. My wife is getting sick and tired of me going to Best Buy, Circuit City and Sam's Club looking at TV's. The plasma is slightly ahead but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $800-$1,000!

I guess everyone goes through this and there is no really right answer. I'll have to make a decison and stick with it. Hopefully have no buyers remorse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.