AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a receiver to pair either one of these speakers:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984520

I am trying to decide between Sony 4300ES and Yamaha 1800.

What I like:

Sony: Component Video Upscale, Great GUI.

Yamaha: 130w/channel vs sony 100w. Yamaha sound is warmth and laid back.

My setup:

I still have CRT HDTV without HDMI. So component upscale is important feature.

At the moment Sony is my favorite unless someone can convince me to take yamaha.

Thanks!

·
Banned
362 Posts
If component upscaling is important to you, I highly recommend that you check out the Sony 5300ES topic in this forum. There are numerous reports of people having problems with black crush when upconverting component video signal to HDMI, requiring them to send their receiver back to Sony for repair or replacement. This problem appears to occur with the 5300, 4300, and 3300.

Granted, the problem only occurs with component --> HDMI upconversion, but if you ever plan on upgrading to HDMI you might want to take this into consideration.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won't be upgrading to HDMI compatible TV set any time soon so by that time I would have everything HDMI.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Yamaha 1800, sony receiver's are un-dynamic and clinical.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpol /forum/post/12939985

If component upscaling is important to you, I highly recommend that you check out the Sony 5300ES topic in this forum. There are numerous reports of people having problems with black crush when upconverting component video signal to HDMI, requiring them to send their receiver back to Sony for repair or replacement. This problem appears to occur with the 5300, 4300, and 3300.

Granted, the problem only occurs with component --> HDMI upconversion, but if you ever plan on upgrading to HDMI you might want to take this into consideration.

It appears that Sony has addressed the black crush issue with a firmware upgrade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts