AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I thought now that Sony have finally fixed the motion issues in 3D with the passive 2014 models, it would be good to get a thread together on settings.

Having spent so long getting settings sorted for 2D I need some help on getting it perfect for 3D.

Does anyone have any to share? (Will post mine in a separate post)

Here's the details for the European firmware update (as of posting, US one isn't out yet):

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/co.../bravia-kdlw-firmware-update-v2294/KD-79X9005

Benefits and improvements:
  1. Enhances picture quality when watching fast motion scenes in 3D
  2. Improves the performance of 4K playback by USB
  3. Improves usability of USB HDD recorded title management

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here are my settings so far:

Scene: Cinema
Picture Mode:Cinema 2
Backlight: 5
Contrast: 97
Brightness: 50
Colour: 60
Hue: 0
Colour Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: 40
Noise Filtering: 20
Smooth Graduation: Off
Motion Flow: Off
Film Mode: Auto

Advanced Settings:
Black Level Corrector: Off
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: Low
Gamma: 0
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Colour: Low

White Balance:
R Gain: 0
G Gain: -3
B Gain: -2
R Bias: 1
G Bias: -1
B Bias: -1
Detail Enhancer: Low
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturaliser: Off

Settings above in red I have queries on:

Not so sure where to go with Reality Creation.

With regards to and Motionflow: finding it hard to use Impulse, and Smooth just seems too Soap Opera effect.

For Film Mode (Cinemotion), not sure to go with that either.

Notes on setup:

I use my Xbox One via my DVDO Quick 6 via my Sony MDR-HW700DS to watch 3D Blu-Rays.

Only watch 3D films at night, too much light in the room to try during the day.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some recommended settings from the Sony engineers (got these off the US sony forums from a moderator's post here).

This is basically using defaults then making minor changes, so might be a good place to start, will have a go tonight.

Picture Settings:
Scene Select: Cinema
Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Reset Picture Mode then change the following:
Sharpness
50 –> 45
Reality Creation
Resolution 20 -> 30
MotionFlow
Smooth

Enter Advanced Settings:
Select Reset

Blu-Ray settings
If the player has an option to select screen resolution then
Screen Resolution: Auto

Viewing Position
As much as possible try to keep a 90° angle with the screen (left to right and top and bottom).
Suggested viewing distance should be about 2 - 3 TV heights
Measure the Screen Display Height and sit 2 – 3 times away from that measured height.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
You just beat me to it! The defect has already been fixed with the update, and these settings make it look even better, imho. Some may not like the smooth, soap opera effect. But, having virtually no motion blur at all (even the normal, 24 fps type blur) seems to enhance the 3D. At least I think it looks better based upon my initial viewing.

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/XBR-65X850b-video-quality-and-3D-issue/m-p/466920#M2329
It seems unclear whether it's been fixed on the 55. The 65 update seems like a success, but one person reported the 55 update did not fix the problem.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You just beat me to it! The defect has already been fixed with the update, and these settings make it look even better, imho. Some may not like the smooth, soap opera effect. But, having virtually no motion blur at all (even the normal, 24 fps type blur) seems to enhance the 3D. At least I think it looks better based upon my initial viewing.

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/XBR-65X850b-video-quality-and-3D-issue/m-p/466920#M2329
Hi rconn2, have you tried How To Train Your Dragon yet?

In the first one, chapter 9, there's a sequence where the Viking first rides the dragon. Towards the end of the sequence they fly through rocks. Tonight I am going to try this on my old Sony 3D blu-Ray player, as last night I found it difficult to watch on the Xbox One.

In 2D when using Smooth motion flow, it seems smooth messes up the fast panning, and everything becomes hard to watch (which is what I was experiencing in 3D).

Motionflow Clear however is perfect, but can't be selected in 3D. I will try motion flow off, but found that can seem a bit stuttery in 3D.

Impulse I can't bare at all so given up on that option.

Am hoping my Sony blu-Ray player fares better than the Xbox One.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts