AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a sony xbr6 46". The spec says that the standby power consumption is 0.2W. I used a meter (p4400 Kill a Watt) to measure it and it says 18W in standby mode. I used the same meter to read the standby mode on my xbr2 and the reading is the same as the specs in the manual. All the other standby devices around the house seems to be okay except the XBR6. I just can't believe my eyes when I saw 18W in standby.

Does anyone know why the number is so much larger than stated in the manual?

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
Perhaps it was still cooling itself or updating the channel guide. Did you measure it right after you turned it off? Did you try measuring it again after leaving it off for at least 30 minutes?

If you check here for the juice box, http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...l?tag=txt;page

Cnet states that, "We were pleased to see a two-step power-saving option that limited peak brightness and really cut down on energy consumption (see the Juice Box). In fact, this is one of the most energy-efficient HDTVs we've tested overall, especially on a watts-per-square-inch basis."

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 /forum/post/15451026

Perhaps it was still cooling itself or updating the channel guide. Did you measure it right after you turned it off? Did you try measuring it again after leaving it off for at least 30 minutes?

If you check here for the juice box, http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...l?tag=txt;page

Cnet states that, "We were pleased to see a two-step power-saving option that limited peak brightness and really cut down on energy consumption (see the Juice Box). In fact, this is one of the most energy-efficient HDTVs we've tested overall, especially on a watts-per-square-inch basis."

that cnet quote is true, but doesn't address standby power consumption, which is listed by cnet as virtually 0 watts on standby

i second the notion that the tvguide was probably calling home, (no fan btw).

TVbc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyone's help. It was the TV Guide that was taking up to 18W on standby. I had to reset to factory default to disable the TV Guide. After that, I turned off the TV and the power drop to almost zero watts after 1 minute. You guys are awesome!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.