AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy the Sony 46EX500 but have found that certain retailers only seem to have the 46EX400 in stock, and they do not appear to have the EX500 line at all!

May I ask what the differences are between the EX500 and the EX400 lines?

I looked closely at the sonystyle site and tried to compare, but the nuances are byzantine and confusing. As one example, the 46EX500 has BOTH Ambient Sensor as well as LightSensor Technology. Both of those "sensor features" appear to change the picture's brightness based on the room's lighting brightness. Yet, the 46EX400 only lists the Ambient Sensor without the LightSensor Technology. Huh? What's the difference(s) then between the two lines?

Thanks.

Oh, btw, any thoughts about the Sony 46EX500 if I'm brand/model agnostic and only want to pay roughly around $1,000 for the "best" bedroom tv with the greatest chance of the unit being trouble-free, and if by chance, the unit does indeed have problems, having the best service available? I was told that Samsung customer service/warranty service sucks, but Sony is by far better, yet, i was also told that Panasonic is the best in the industry but, of course, Panasonic only has the 46" size and bigger sizes in plasma only, none in the 46" and above sizes in LCD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, the EX500 has 120Hz with MotionFlow, and the EX400 is 60Hz. The EX500 also has a swivel stand and the EX400 doesn't. Other than that, they look very similar, at least on paper. I'll have to head to Best Buy tomorrow to see if they have them in yet.

I'm thinking about getting the 46EX500, too. Does anyone know if it has a game mode like last year's models? I'll mainly be using it for my Xbox 360 over HDMI, and I haven't read anything about it, so I'm a little worried about input lag.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, even though i really don't need the 120 Hz per se, I'll go for the 46EX500. I really can't imagine that for this bedroom set, why I'd need the 120 Hz but I know that if I got the 46EX400, I'd feel like I somehow "missed out" on something

the trouble is: i really don't know where i can buy one! i've looked around and i don't think that many places stock it yet!

any thoughts on that? thx!

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio /forum/post/18151140

yeah, even though i really don't need the 120 Hz per se, I'll go for the 46EX500. I really can't imagine that for this bedroom set, why I'd need the 120 Hz but I know that if I got the 46EX400, I'd feel like I somehow "missed out" on something

the trouble is: i really don't know where i can buy one! i've looked around and i don't think that many places stock it yet!

you're gonna want 120hz on a tv that size bedroom or not

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjpsc /forum/post/18151220

you're gonna want 120hz on a tv that size bedroom or not

what's the question please? kindly restate. i'm a bit confused.

are you asking if i'd want a 46" tv in my bedroom? or are you asking if i'd want a 46" tv with 120 Hz?

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio /forum/post/18151234

what's the question please? kindly restate. i'm a bit confused.

are you asking if i'd want a 46" tv in my bedroom? or are you asking if i'd want a 46" tv with 120 Hz?

if it has to be a sony...yuck....get the 120hz ex500 over the 400

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjpsc /forum/post/18156257

if it has to be a sony...yuck....get the 120hz ex500 over the 400

timmyjpsc: may i kindly ask why you said: "...if it has to be a sony...yuck..."?

Frankly, while many have their own opinions as to which company is superior to another company, most have acknowledged that at this point in LCDs' development, most top tier (i.e. Samsung and Sony) makers' LCD tv's are essentially all more than acceptable. It might be a matter of preferences or certain nuances or convenience features that matter to some more than others, but basically all the top tier makers' sets are fine.

I would understand it more if one would suggest that one prefers Samsung's colors or menu system or what not more than Sony's, but "Sony...yuck" doesn't tell me why.

May I ask if it is because Sony has had its share of gaffes? I mean something like the snafu of their xxSXRDs' optical block issues? I have the Sony 60XBR-something or another (forgot the number after the XBR) and, so far, fortunately, I do not have the yellow "in the middle" blotch issue that some have reported. As such, I did not participate in their factory technician changing of the optical block program.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio /forum/post/18156885

timmyjpsc: may i kindly ask why you said: "...if it has to be a sony...yuck..."?

Frankly, while many have their own opinions as to which company is superior to another company, most have acknowledged that at this point in LCDs' development, most top tier (i.e. Samsung and Sony) makers' LCD tv's are essentially all more than acceptable. It might be a matter of preferences or certain nuances or convenience features that matter to some more than others, but basically all the top tier makers' sets are fine.

I would understand it more if one would suggest that one prefers Samsung's colors or menu system or what not more than Sony's, but "Sony...yuck" doesn't tell me why.

May I ask if it is because Sony has had its share of gaffes? I mean something like the snafu of their xxSXRDs' optical block issues? I have the Sony 60XBR-something or another (forgot the number after the XBR) and, so far, fortunately, I do not have the yellow "in the middle" blotch issue that some have reported. As such, I did not participate in their factory technician changing of the optical block program.

I must admit that yes I also have xbr and sony's mis-dealings have made me hostile to say the least...however...yes all maufacturers sets are indeed fine, why would you settle for a sony when you can do better for the same money comparitively with a panasonic plasma or samsung, lg or even toshiba lcd...truth is...you can find tv's with better picture or "bells and whistles" for less money...so it's all about value...you tell me what you like about sony and I'll give you 3 tv's that are better...except sound quality, sony still invests wayyy to much money in that aspect of their tv's

·
Banned
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjpsc /forum/post/18157426

I must admit that yes I also have xbr and sony's mis-dealings have made me hostile to say the least...however...yes all maufacturers sets are indeed fine, why would you settle for a sony when you can do better for the same money comparitively with a panasonic plasma or samsung, lg or even toshiba lcd...truth is...you can find tv's with better picture or "bells and whistles" for less money...so it's all about value...you tell me what you like about sony and I'll give you 3 tv's that are better...except sound quality, sony still invests wayyy to much money in that aspect of their tv's

Can do better? Sony is probably one of the most reliable out of the sets, and they have better customer service than most, especially compared to Samsung.

Sony's processing (Bravia Engine) is one of the main components that separates itself from other manufacturers because of it's ability to produce sharp, vivid, and truer colors.

Maybe you haven't seen the new prices on the 2010 models? They are definitely priced right.

I know you had problems with your Sony sets, and now you have your own anecdotal evidence to keep people from buying it. Well guess what! I bought a Samsung television thinking I would save the cash, and it turns out I made a big mistake! I'm happier with a 40" XBR I received for my RPTV.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 /forum/post/18157473

Can do better? Sony is probably one of the most reliable out of the sets, and they have better customer service than most, especially compared to Samsung.

Sony's processing (Bravia Engine) is one of the main components that separates itself from other manufacturers because of it's ability to produce sharp, vivid, and truer colors.

Maybe you haven't seen the new prices on the 2010 models? They are definitely priced right.

I know you had problems with your Sony sets, and now you have your own anecdotal evidence to keep people from buying it. Well guess what! I bought a Samsung television thinking I would save the cash, and it turns out I made a big mistake! I'm happier with a 40" XBR I received for my RPTV.

all I'm saying is you should check out the owners forums of most sony models...I'm not trying to give biased recommendations...but there's plenty of examples of sony's mishaps...and if sony is using junk panels what difference does their processing make...I mean come on man...I never said samsung was the be all end all...but in most cases (since samsungs 2010 models are neither out or pricing available) they are the same price or cheaper and deliver a much more enjoyable experience...I'm glad you are happy with your sony...truth is they just haven't really made a good tv in a couple years

·
Banned
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjpsc /forum/post/18157560

all I'm saying is you should check out the owners forums of most sony models...I'm not trying to give biased recommendations...but there's plenty of examples of sony's mishaps...and if sony is using junk panels what difference does their processing make...I mean come on man...I never said samsung was the be all end all...but in most cases (since samsungs 2010 models are neither out or pricing available) they are the same price or cheaper and deliver a much more enjoyable experience...I'm glad you are happy with your sony...truth is they just haven't really made a good tv in a couple years

No biased recommendations? We're both giving our own bias opinions nonetheless.

Give me some examples of Sony's mishaps. No company out there is impeccable or incapable of making mistakes/problems. I also never suggested that you believe Samsung was "the end all", just my examples and opinions.

I've read hundreds to thousands of posts by many owners, and I've concluded that many people do like Sony more than some of the other options. I guess by your representation of the company and their products, the people who buy Sony do not have the time or the ability to decipher the differences available to them.

They may not be the same ol' Sony from the ol' days. But they still make great 1st tier brand products.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 /forum/post/18157716

No biased recommendations? We're both giving our own bias opinions nonetheless.

Give me some examples of Sony's mishaps. No company out there is impeccable or incapable of making mistakes/problems. I also never suggested that you believe Samsung was "the end all", just my examples and opinions.

I've read hundreds to thousands of posts by many owners, and I've concluded that many people do like Sony more than some of the other options. I guess by your representation of the company and their products, the people who buy Sony do not have the time or the ability to decipher the differences available to them.

They may not be the same ol' Sony from the ol' days. But they still make great 1st tier brand products.

first two sony issues that come to mind you can find under the owners threads of v5100 models and xbr1 sxrd models...go see how great sony is to the owners of those products...they may still be reliable in most cases...but they grow more and more inferior as the years go by

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjpsc /forum/post/18158280

first two sony issues that come to mind you can find under the owners threads of v5100 models and xbr1 sxrd models...go see how great sony is to the owners of those products...they may still be reliable in most cases...but they grow more and more inferior as the years go by

timmyjpsc: you may (or may not) have a point in that those owners are very unhappy, and that the tv units "...grow more and more inferior as the years go by".

With what you wrote in mind, may I ask how another brand's situation would differ? Do other brands not have certain models/lines that have issues as well? Do those owners not become unhappy too? Finally, don't other brands' products also "...grow more and more inferior as the years go by"? From our bodies to machines, don't virtually most things get "more inferior as the years go by"?

·
Registered
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio /forum/post/18156885

I bought a 60kdf955sx in 2004 and developed bluish/purple streaks/blotches on screen a week or so ago. After some internet research I find that this is a very well know documented optical block problem stemming from a manufacturing defect and that Sony offered some extended coverage for a while on the issue. Even though I registered my TV with Sony after purchase I was never advised of the issue and now I am left with scrap after expecting to use the TV for at least 7-10 years with ongoing bulb changes. I'm not a Sony fan as a result

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio /forum/post/18151140

I'm looking at picking up a EX400 myself. I've yet to see them in any of my local electronics stores. Looks like sonystyle.com or amazon is your best bet right now.

-> If you get a Sony credit card, you can accumulate points for sony rewards. Just saying - I've only had my card for 2 months or so, and I've already accumulated enough points to get $175 off. They have the EX series available right meow. Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibeta /forum/post/18174310

I bought a 60kds966sx in 2004 and developed bluish/purple streaks/blotches on screen a week or so ago. After some internet research I find that this is a very well know documented optical block problem stemming from a manufacturing defect and that Sony offered some extended coverage for a while on the issue. Even though I registered my TV with Sony after purchase I was never advised of the issue and now I am left with scrap after expecting to use the TV for at least 7-10 years with ongoing bulb changes. I'm not a Sony fan as a result

different model...similar issue...worse sony run around

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjpsc /forum/post/18157560

I never said samsung was the be all end all...but in most cases (since samsungs 2010 models are neither out or pricing available) they are the same price or cheaper and deliver a much more enjoyable experience....

If you're lucky enough to get a panel actually made by Samsung. Nowadays, most of their CCFL models have lesser quality panels made by AUO or CMO.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.