AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information about the Sony 46WT500? I haven't seen it in person only online. Just wondering if anyone here has any firsthand experience with this set?

Leland

·
Banned
362 Posts
I've seen it in person at several stores now. This is a very new model. The local Goodguys has only had their display model for about 2.5 weeks, and my local Best Buy just got one in last Sunday.

So far, there's very little not to like in this model. The picture is very sharp and bright. I am seriously considering picking one of these up this weekend but am currently debating between this one and the Mitsubishi 42311. Also, I'm having some difficulty finding a good, inexpensive stand for this unit - at 143lb, 42" wide and 24" deep, it barely fits on Ikea's largest and sturdiest TV stand (the 'Magiker' series). I don't want to buy the stock Sony stand because it's too expensive and I'd like a stand that can fit more components (for me, 6 stacked components in 2 rows of 3).

·
Banned
362 Posts
Thanks for the links. One thing to keep in mind if you're considering these stands is that the TV itself is over 40" high. The stands you listed are 20" and 22", respectively, so if you put this Sony on either of them, expect to be looking up since the top of the TV will be around 5 feet or so. This may be a bit too high for most people.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was helping set one of these tvs up last night, and had a question or two.

I originally ran AVIA on VIVID mode, but then thought it would be best to run it on "pro" or something else. Would this be prudent? Since it looks as if Cinemotion is unchangable in VIVID. I am not currently around the TV, so can't be for certain. Also, when I did switch Cinemotion between Progressive, Interlaced and Cinemotion(i think that was the three) I couldn't see the difference in each option. A Progressive DVD player is running to the TV's component hookups, which option should we be using, and also is not using VIVID with AVIA the right choice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have this tv and i love it. DO NOT USE VIVID MODE. use movie or pro. if you are using a progressive stand dvd player with this set and it is enabled than the tv's progressive mode is disabled. i'll post the setting of my display later when i get home. i paid $1649 with stand. i also the extended warranty so with that it came out to a little over $2100. i bought it from CC.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I also have this TV and it is a great set. Do a search on my username and you can view my impressions compared to the Samsung DLP that it replaced.

With regards to the stand. The factory stand is 11.75" high. I would not go more than 2-3" higher than that. The TV is already fairly tall and I would try to stay as close to the height of the factory stand as possible.

Depending on your budget you may want to look at Lovan stands. They have a nice metal and glass stand called the Millenium that is csutom configurable using individual shelfs that are 4", 7", or 10" high. The only problem is that is expensive. For (1) 4", and (1) 7" shelf the price ended up being about $700. This was a local retailer so I'm sure you could do better online.

·
Registered
112 Posts
maybe not if you have pretty low seating. i recommend some kind of stand even if it only a few inches high.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought this TV on 12/30 from a local store for $1750 including stand, tax and shipment, which I think was a good deal... But the thing is they didn't have it in stock at the time, it's been almost 3 weeks now, still none in stock, cannot give an ETA...

I am thinking about canceling the order and going to Circuit City to see if I can get the same deal (which I am not very optimistic about).

BTW what I heard (but couldn't verify) about this TV is that, it doesn't show 1080i as is, but down converts it to 960i. And these conversions to be complete:

480i > 480p

480p > 480p

720p > 960i

1080i > 960i

Can anyone confirm or oppose that?

·
Registered
112 Posts
it does show 1080i. the only thing it downconverts is 720P to 480P. 1080I= good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.