AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
thank you so much my dear friend you have been such a help,i will look into the link you posted,i don’t know why sony not providing dell media in our region,people are talking about hdmi ports upgrade from sony to fix their media player issue and this will take a long time to be available in my region,but i think the only way for me now is to order the hard drive on timescapes website it is the only true 4k content that i can get for now,i will post a link for you to look at.in my case i would go with the timescapes hard drive option (mov)prores.and hope it works cause it will be connected through usb!!!

http://www.timescapes.org/products/Specs.aspx

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
So if 286 GB is average for a new movie, a 2 TB system would not hold very many movies. I was unable to find out how much space was remaining on the unit after its preloaded movies were included from the Sony online tech support. Apparently you can add hard drives to the system but have no idea if these can be daisy chained or if the warning "May delete all content" when the hard drive is connected to the machine might prevent swapping hard drives. Maybe it is a system primarily designed for Sony's streaming service with movies to be rented short term and then deleted or they evaporate?

·
Registered
34 Posts
actually i am not worried about the size of file,i know it’s huge but i really need 4k content to use on this display,cause for now i am disappointed cause when i play bluray movie on this tv it does not look good as much it looked on my samsung series 8,the only way to be blown away on those 4k tv’s is to play 4k content and the only one i know is this media server which is not compatible!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
286gb is a typical size for a 4k D-Cinema DCP file. This is an uncompressed file used by public movie theaters. Even a 2k DCP file tends to be in the 80gb-100gb range (way more than a typical bluray). Consumer 4k files will be compressed, more so especially when H265 arrives.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw  /t/1467859/sony-4k-media-streamer-fmp-x1-699-coming-summer-2013#post_23505936

I can never get my head around why people complain when manufacturer's make new products. Did you all expect to sit on 1080p for the next 10 years? "Complete unnecessary," heard that when 1080p was introduced over 720 as well. Yup, 1080p was completely unnecessary, hasn't really added any value to the images we see today.

Not complaining about "new technology" (even though 4k is hardly new).

Simply pointing out the fact that until 100"+ screens come to market, most people will not really get any benefit from 4k over 1080p, based on their viewing distance.

But as the CNET article noted, it's an "easy sell," so yes, I do expect that we'll soon be awash in 42"4k LCDs.

No need to roll eyes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
 ARTICLE

Sony: New Video Players Should Be Internet Connected to Beat Pirates

Andy

July 3, 2013

The Anti-Piracy and Content Protection Summit in Los Angeles last week had a number of interesting speakers, not least Sony Pictures CTO Spencer Stephens. With Sony just confirming that its new 4K player will debut in weeks, Stephens has revealed his wish-list for future 4K content protection. In addition to watermarking files with the identity of the user, the Sony CTO says that 4K players should have an Internet connection in order authenticate each video playback.

sony4KEarlier this year, Sony announced its new FMP-X1 4K Ultra HD Media Player in preparation for bringing the highest quality video available into homes around the world. 4K video will bring a resolution of 3840 × 2160 to the market, with the 4K referencing the almost-4000 pixel horizontal resolution.

Just this week Sony confirmed that its new device, which is only compatible with Sony’s own 4K TVs, will be arriving in homes from July 15th . Priced at $699, the player will require activation via the 4KActivation.com website.

Sony also named its new online 4K content distribution service which is due to launch later in the year. Video Unlimited 4K will offer movies and TV shows for direct download to its 4K player.

How the studios intend to protect their 4K content from piracy going forward has not been publicly outlined. However, during last week’s Anti-Piracy and Content Protection Summit in Los Angeles, Sony Pictures CTO Spencer Stephens gave a presentation which included his company’s wish-list for 4K DRM.

Bill Rosenblatt, who spoke at the summit for his company GiantSteps Media, notes that Stephens described the introduction of 4K as an opportunity to start with a fresh anti-piracy design. This, along with Sony’s “wish-list”, suggests that the final approach is yet to be agreed.

Nevertheless, at this stage Sony appears to be clear on its DRM requirements. Although fairly predictable, they aren’t going to win them many fans.

After the infamous cracking of HDCP, Sony is backing HDCP 2.2 (spec here, pdf) to protect the digital outputs of its devices from unauthorized video capture. HDCP 2.2 also has a ‘localization‘ feature, which limits the distance over which an HDCP player will feed content to a receiver such as a TV. This should stop people playing HDCP-protected content over the Internet.

Next, Sony wants each video title to be unique, meaning that the cracking of one piece of content doesn’t open up the floodgates to everything else. The company also wants video playback to take place in a Trusted Execution Environment (TEE), ensuring that sensitive data is processed and protected in a secure manner while allowing software upgrades.

And now the intrusive stuff.

Sony says it wants 4K content to be watermarked with the identity of the device or user who downloaded it, meaning that should the above countermeasures become cracked at some point, it will be possible to trace content back to its original owner. It won’t necessarily follow that those individuals are responsible for any ‘leak’ but they could forever associated with that content if it should.

Of particular interest given all the fuss over Xbox One’s former requirement to be connected to the Internet on a daily basis (and Sony’s response of needing no such thing for PS4), is Sony’s final wish-list item for 4K.

If the company has its way, all 4K players will need to authenticate themselves online before each and every playback. This will enable content providers to identify both unauthorized content and hacked players. However, if you are a legitimate customer with no Internet connection – permanently or temporarily – content will not play on your 4K device.

It’s becoming increasingly clear that content providers are viewing the Internet as a means to remain in constant contact with ‘their’ hardware and content wherever it may be. Going forward that will provide an unprecedented level of control. At least, that’s the plan.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlight  /t/1467859/sony-4k-media-streamer-fmp-x1-699-coming-summer-2013#post_23548586

ARTICLE

Sony: New Video Players Should Be Internet Connected to Beat Pirates

It’s becoming increasingly clear that content providers are viewing the Internet as a means to remain in constant contact with ‘their’ hardware and content wherever it may be. Going forward that will provide an unprecedented level of control. At least, that’s the plan.

Sure, make it so difficult for us to play anything legitimately obtained, so we end up going to the dark side based on usability....

But thanks for posting this, it's good to know, the next time I have a choice between Sony and another brand.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1  /t/1467859/sony-4k-media-streamer-fmp-x1-699-coming-summer-2013#post_23550825

Sure, make it so difficult for us to play anything legitimately obtained, so we end up going to the dark side based on usability....

But thanks for posting this, it's good to know, the next time I have a choice between Sony and another brand.

Do you think the other brands are not looking to do the same thing? It's unfortunate that steps like this need to be taken, but you can thank all those folks that have no respect for IP.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw  /t/1467859/sony-4k-media-streamer-fmp-x1-699-coming-summer-2013#post_23551327

Do you think the other brands are not looking to do the same thing? It's unfortunate that steps like this need to be taken, but you can thank all those folks that have no respect for IP.

Steps like these do NOT need to be taken. Software producers, as well as music producers learned this ages ago: make the content easily available, for a reasonable price, and piracy stops being a major issue.

Unfortunately, the movie/TV industry is still populated by people (particularly in the legal departments and the boardrooms) who barely understand the technology and think that they can squeeze the consumer without consequences.

I believe that this rather pointless push to 4k (pointless at this time, because of the currently available screen sizes) is in large part up-sell marketing, but it is also in part driven by the content industry, which sees it as a fresh start to further tighten the screws on content restrictions. If they have their way, they'll take everything off Netflix and will go to fully locked pay-per view environment, first with physical media and as the technology develops, streaming only.

I sincerely hope they fail, and yes, I do consider Sony and their chief "I need to justify my existence" officer Spencer Stephens as the leaders of this movement, so I personally do plan to avoid buying anything Sony if I can. Sony is already in trouble, so hopefully they will rethink their "dream" strategy soon.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
13,294 Posts
The overall cost of A/V technology that a consumer must pay is not limited to the cash outlay. It also includes all those usability issues such a DRM restrictions that limit what the consumer can or cannot do with the content they have paid for. Most people feel that when they have paid their money and bought the disk or download file they own it in much the same way as they own a paperback book when they walk out of the store. They can read it anywhere at any time without having to ask permission. They can give it or sell it to someone else without the hint of concern that the recipient wouldn't be able to read it any time and anywhere. The notion that they have paid to simply license the content and must obey the license restrictions does not sit well with them.

DVD is a thriving market because many people feel the overall cost of BluRay exceeds the value of the total BluRay experience. These people are not likely to give 4K a second look. If the content producers make the overall cost of 4K too high (price+DRM), it will lure very few from BluRay and thus will become a niche like 3D or simply whither away.

Reactions: nethien

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello this is Albert, a journalist from hk media. Since the FMP-X1 is shipped recently, I am now writing the report for my readers. However, I dun have the real product on hands. Does anyone here has the product? It's my pleasure if you can help to provide the screen cap of the 4K movie signal and menu to me, thanks a lot!

email address: [email protected]

rdgs,

Albert

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl  /t/1467859/sony-4k-media-streamer-fmp-x1-699-coming-summer-2013#post_23545135

The new HDMI(4) circuit was installed by Sony techs this past Monday, and it's been smooth sailing since.

The XBR65 and the X1 work perfectly together, even got a software update this morning.

pics here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-x9-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread/690#post_23530262

Good afternoon LeeSoFl,

Thanks for your message and appreciate the pictures!

I'm glad to read your satisfied with the upgrade.

Pat Kennedy

Sony Support USA

·
Registered
2 Posts
do you mean you can output the signal from FMP-X1 to XBR65? may you please take some screen pics for me, including the 4K movie signals and menu? thanks a million!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purina hket  /t/1467859/sony-4k-media-streamer-fmp-x1-699-coming-summer-2013/30#post_23555786

Hello this is Albert, a journalist from hk media. Since the FMP-X1 is shipped recently, I am now writing the report for my readers. However, I dun have the real product on hands. Does anyone here has the product? It's my pleasure if you can help to provide the screen cap of the 4K movie signal and menu to me, thanks a lot!

email address: [email protected]

rdgs,

Albert

Hi Albert,

I don't know if these are what you're looking for. Each one of the pics is about 700 KB, and I'm not sure the forum site will keep them at full size. I only photographed menu screens as taking a picture of a movie wouldn't quite get the impression across well.

Lee

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purina hket  /t/1467859/sony-4k-media-streamer-fmp-x1-699-coming-summer-2013/30#post_23562846

do you mean you can output the signal from FMP-X1 to XBR65? may you please take some screen pics for me, including the 4K movie signals and menu? thanks a million!

Greetings purina hket,

The FMP-X1 Media Player is a technologically advanced product that allows the transfer of 4K content securely to your TV.

Thanks for your post,

Pat Kennedy

Sony Support USA

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
On the Sony Community site, I saw this response a few weeks ago:

Later this summer, Sony will launch Video Unlimited 4K, a service that will allow an ever-growing library of 4K content to be viewed in the home. At that launch, Sony will also announce a new 4K media player compatible with the XBR-84X900. Please be assured Sony will meet your expectations to continue to provide the path for you to enjoy 4K content on your television.

I asked: Is this new player exclusively for the 84 inch 4K? Is the FMP-X1 being replaced that quickly for us inadequate (under 84") folks?

This was posted on the Sony Community today:

Later this summer, Sony will launch Video Unlimited 4K, a service that will allow an ever-growing library of 4K content to be viewed in the home. At that launch, Sony will also announce a 4K media player solution compatible with the XBR-84X900 that will replace the existing 4K media player delivered with the XBR-84X900. Please be assured Sony will meet your expectations to continue to provide the path for you to enjoy 4K content on your television.

It's not a very active forum, but an assortment of posts can be found at:

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/bd-p/4K-Ultra-HD-TV

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good afternoon everunman,

The FMP-X1 is geo-blocked by IP address so that it cannot be used outside of the United States – this is due to content rights and licensing.

While we have no announcements scheduled, please know that we will be expanding Video Unlimited 4K’s reach and availability.

Thank you,

Pat Kennedy

Sonu Support USA

21 - 40 of 445 Posts