AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I am in the market for HTPC entry level 5.1 speakers, currently looking at Sony 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System (HTSS370) ($300 after tax) mainly because my friend suggested it, he's into hardcore high end systems, I don't even want to go into details how he tried to convince me to blow $1k. It will be my first purchase for a home theatre set up. Anyone own these and have any reviews about them? Or should I just get Z-5500 (but they lack clarity, muddy bass), I am looking for some entry level speakers with clarity for now not $1000+ 5.1 home theatre system yet (still learning for now). My budget is limited $400 tops. I looked at Onkyo too expensive for me in Canada. Any other recommendations under $400 CND would be great, thanks!

By the way I have a sound card with SPDIF / will it connect to the system/pc? It will hooked up to DVD/Blu-ray player/console/HTPC.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thanks for the suggestion. I searched through the forum before I made this post, there are only a few threads about it. I want to know how does it compare to Onkyo HT S3300, would the price difference be worth it, it's almost doubling the price for me here. And I want to lean away from PC speakers especially logitech Z-5500, too muddy boomy. And It is my first HTIB/HTPC. I don't want to base my purchase on just a few threads. I plan to check them out in my local store soon, I will ask the sales for some suggestions as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey there,

Well i got the sony system and for the price (I paid 300 tax in) I must say its super fine system.

The auto-tuning function is great, and overall the sound is very good for me. Probably dosent compare to a 1k system for sure but still very nice.

I like the fact that this system has 3 HDMI input and lots of digital sound input. You can basically plug-in every hdmi item you may have (hd cable box, console, blu-ray, etc) and then have only 1 hdmi going in the tv and your all set for surround sound goodness.

I watched Gladiator on my old dvd player with coax digital sound to the receiver and the dts track sounded great!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I have a PS3 connected through HDMI to a HT-SS370 home theater, and the home theater connected through HDMI to a Panasonic TC-P54Z1 TV, but I can't get video/audio...if I connect the PS3 directly to the TV it works fine..any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubendariohh /forum/post/19760624

Hi,

I have a PS3 connected through HDMI to a HT-SS370 home theater, and the home theater connected through HDMI to a Panasonic TC-P54Z1 TV, but I can't get video/audio...if I connect the PS3 directly to the TV it works fine..any suggestions? Thanks!

Have you verified that both the HDMI cables are working fine when connected directly between the ps3 and TV?

·
Registered
32 Posts
the sony htss370, htss360, and htss2300 are all very good systems for the price. i got an htss2300 about 4 years ago for $290, and this christmas i got my htss370 for $250 shipped.

if you know what your doing, then you could build a better system for $1000, but i dont think it would only be like 20% better, which isnt worth paying 4 times as much.

these systems look really nice, are easy to set up, and sound great, all at a very reasonable price tag. i'm not familiar with the other systems you are asking about but i just looked at the onkyo heres my thoughts:

receiver looks terrible. looks like it came straight from the 80's. the sony systems have a much sexier look

less power

more expensive

similar features

i wouldnt even consider the logitech

1 - 7 of 7 Posts