AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking about getting the Sony 500ax burner for its complete compatibility with all formats. It would be great to have the cheaper R types that could also be played on laptops, playstation etc.

Anyone own one? You like it? Any reason to stay away from it?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Quite happy with this unit I have at work, I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I have the A (not AX) and happy with mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been looking into these too. I would personally wait a week. On May 9, the DRU-510A will be launched, it supports the 4x DVD+RW (whereas the 500AX supports only 2.4x DVD+RW).

Even if you don't want that feature, it should drive the prices of the 500AX down a bit.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have an "a". Great drive. But what is the difference between the "a" and the "ax"?

DFA

·
Registered
54 Posts
I purchased the 500a drive a few months ago and it has performed flawlessly. I also downloaded the firmware patch and installed it about a month ago. Still works great (thank god).

I was under the belief that the main difference between the 500a and the 500ax is the ax has the newest firmware (but I could be wrong on this).

Upgrading the firmware can be risky, make sure you don't have the Intel Application Accelerator installed and I believe the release notes tell you to temporaily turn off dma as well.

In any event, before trying to install the new firmware upgrade, make sure you read through the release notes very carefully and make sure your system is configured correctly so that the firmware update will succeed.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RichCarling

I was under the belief that the main difference between the 500a and the 500ax is the ax has the newest firmware (but I could be wrong on this).
I believe that is correct. The original 500A's had trouble with "cheap" DVD disks. Sony made a perminent upgrade to the firmware to make the drives more compatable. They packaged these later drives as the 500AX.

If you have a 500A, follow the link above and install the lastest firmware and your 500A = 500AX.

Make sure you follow Rich's advice about installing the firmware. I did not have any issues and the drive is OUTSTANDING! Although the bundled software is not as good a NERO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm waiting on the 510A myself. I about bought a 500AX last week, until I read the new 510A would be out in a week or two.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
In regards to the burning at 4x thing, I believe a firmware fixes that on the AX to burn at 4x as well. I haven't done it yet myself though.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SportTrac
I'm waiting on the 510A myself. I about bought a 500AX last week, until I read the new 510A would be out in a week or two.
Do you have any more info on the 510? I just bought the 500 a few days ago. Haven't installed it yet, so if the 510 is worth it, I'll return this one and wait.

EDIT: Never mind. Found the press release ( http://www.storagebysony.com/news/pressengine.asp?id=53 ). Looks like the 500 is going back. I've waited this long, what's another few weeks.

It's things like this that remind me of why I enjoy this forum so much. Thanks everyone. :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Overstock com is advertising the 500AX at a good price. Check for free shipping or other discount coupons.

Beware, their return policy is no good, and they are not rated well for customer service.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is no reason to wait or return the 500. This is the same drive with built in firmware update. The firmware on the 500 and AX is very, very easy to update. They burn at 4X on everything now. This drive is excellent in every way. But you have to live with 24X cd-burn (2.5 mins ain't bad) and the drive is locked at 2X rip! If you plan on ripping DVD's you better have another DVD-ROM. It takes an hour right now and this is not fixed (on purpose) in the new drives either. Pioneer has an ALL format DVD Writer that rips faster (about 6X if I remember right). Check out www.dvdrhelp.com forums for more info. BTW, the software bundle is excellent, and you pay for it (in the price of the drive) but I still don't know how to stop Veritas 4.6 from verifying every disc write. The option seems to be grayed out (so Nero is still installed). This drive also supports DVD-Audio. Some drives don't! Sounds awesome with analog outs from your Audigy 2.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If I read you correctly, Fasan, the 500AX and the 510AX are the same drive physically, but the 510AX has the new firmware? If that's the case, I will probably be able to download the new firmware and upgrade my drive to a 510. Way cool. Please confirm this is accurate. Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Media is very important! So far, the highest speeds I can find are as follows:

DVD-R = 4X

DVD-RW = 2X

DVD+R = 4X

DVD+RW = 2.4X

DVD-RAM = WHO CARES

You can not burn higher than the rated speed for DVD's like you could your CD's. Only slower, if you wish.

I do not own 4X DVD+RW media and don't know where to buy it yet. I can't prove the firmware will burn that fast. I do know that the last firmware I installed has allowed me to burn DVD-R at 4X flawlessly. I guess if you think of it that way, my 500A went up to 500AX, and now it is a 510A. I have no trouble using many different types, brands, & speeds of media. The cheap high speed Riteks and Princos work great.

Just ask Sony. Simply call customer service, try to talk to a knowledgable tech. Ask him about the 510A being slower than the 500AX while you got him. (Which burns 4X DVD-R)

Quoted from link by HofstraJet referring to the new 510A

"The drives also support up to 4X DVD+R and DVD-R recording, as well as 2X DVD-R, 24X CD-R and 16X CD-RW recording, making them among the fastest and most proficient on the market.

"

BTW...thanks for posting the firmware update q3131a. Sony doesn't go out of there way to tell everyone.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fasan

You can not burn higher than the rated speed for DVD's like you could your CD's. Only slower, if you wish.
No,

"The DRU-500A and DRX-500UL drives also enable the write speed setting that exceeds the specified speed at the disc with some of certified discs*."

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/mediainfo_na.htm

And I know some other drives (Pioneers?) will let you do the same with hacked firmware.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Even your quote says "with some of certified discs" (Sony's got bad grammer). The media must be capable of this in the first place. They may not rate it for 4X but the disc is made in a way it can be written to that fast.

Sony goes on to say "The write speed is set by your software or the drive automatically determines a speed that matches each discs."

It (the software or drive) reads the disc to determine a maximum speed. The media is still important.

Cd's used to be the same way. The manufacturing process was just advancing faster than the drive write speeds. Discs were being produced 'better' before the drives were ready. Its backwards with DVD's as they don't have the media ready to be written at such a high speed as the writer can write. They had almost ten years to practice for CD's. DVD's are alot hotter item today than CD's were in their time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.