AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the type of person to always fill in PC monitors to the edges so when I first got my Sony 50A10 2 weeks ago I noticed right away the 1" of underscan around the screen. I can zoom in but then I go 1/2" overscan which is a pain when I am web browsing and many other PC related tasks including most games.

What options are out there for either stretching or shrinking the image in say the service menu?

Are adjustments made in Service Menu overall ALL inputs or if I adjust settings under PC input will those carry over to my TV(HDMI) input?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
If you want to try it out I posted where you could buy a Sony service manual from in this post . Also if you do try changing the overscan in the service menu could you post back later if you were successful?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will not be trying any service menu's myself. Just checking to see if someone else out there figured it out. Once its documented I will try. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Have you checked the options on your pc for your videocard? When I connected my pc, with a 6800 Nvidia card using a dvi to hdmi adapter, in my display properties it correctly showed it was connected to a sony tv.

I went into advance options that gave me overscan, scaling, auto fit to edges, and so on optinos. It's been a month so I can't recall what exactly was there, but most video cards should have options for tv output. Though, prior to this I had mainly been use to these options when using the s-video out, so I was suprised to see all the new options while connected to the hdmi port on the tv from dvi.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 42A10 and use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect from the PC. With modern nvidia drivers at least, the DVI output is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned, then it detects it as a digital HDTV and does most of the hard work for you. Using DVD and HDTV thru component is worth whatever small tradeoffs there are if you are serious about using it as a computer monitor too.

While digging around in the nvidia menu - right click desktop Properties/Settings/Advanced/GE Force XXXX/nview display settings/Device settings/device adjustments I found a setting saying "Use underscan to show the full windows desktop". I can't promise it will solve all your problems and wouldnt even be applicable unless using a nvidia card with DVI. But the setting is there for me, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
75 Posts
More info. I'm not sure if this might have already happened after selecting the "use underscan" setting but I made the Sony my primary display so I could launch a game on it, which was Links 2003 that didnt seem to support widescreen. After playing a hole at 800x600 and exiting the game, I had small black bars around the screen edges and the nvidia drivers had changed the Sony's rez automatically to 1177 x 662. That's all the playing around I'm going to do for now (just got the TV last night). This was all with nvidia 66.93 drivers btw.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is the last one for now, really!! I had noticed settings above 1280x820 available on the display properties settings but never though it would work. I tried the max setting, 1920 x 1080 and it worked! Hmm, I may need to find some games that handle widescreen, lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too have a good DVI/HDMI cable but I posted this topic about the PC port DB15 plug. I know of the underscan/overscan options under Nvidia drivers using the DVI/HDMI but when you run the DB15 monitor cable there are no such options. I reason I want to use the DB15 plug is 1.) It will show post screens and bios. 2.)It will run 1:1 @ 1280x720 or 768 3.) Leaves my HDMI port free for up coming sources and my HDTV does look even better on it through HDMI over Component.

So thats why I am using Pc input over HDMI. Worst case scenerio I will run both cables use PC input when I need to check BIOS. Unless I read of other options.

Thanks fellas for your time and ideas. Anyone else?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I took the HDMI/DVI cable off the HDTV STB and replaced it with Component. Running both HDMI and DB15 plug on Input 6 and Input 7. If I need to change BIOS settings I can put it on INput 7 and once WIndows loads Input6 is ready to go. Works fine with both of them plugged in. Was able to use the underscan feature before but there is no vertical adjustment. I would just like to raise the entire picture a hair upwards but its 98% dead on so I am happy .. for now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Using the vga input on my 42A10. Every resolution I try, I can see the tv refreashing so its worthless to do anyting on it. I tried all the ones in the manual but still no love. I have a 6600 gt with the componet adaptor but I'd would need a 25ft cable and that would have to be $$$.

Coule someone please tell me what resolution they are running at with vga cable. I dont have the special options that DVI provide so I'm thinking I'm screwed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.