Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a fair comparison?

I love the styling and picture of the Sony but the price is at least a $1000 more.

Both come with speakers that I do not need nor want (I have an in-wall Sonance system).

What makes the Sony more expensive aside from the name brand?

:confused:

*edit:

Online ordering question!

When ordering from 1800Plasmas or DTVcity.com do they charge you sales tax?

They are located outside of the state I live in.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
There's a review of the new Sony displays on one of the websites. In brief, it said that the Sony had better color but still couldn't match Panasonic's black levels. So, you have a tradeoff. In consumer electronics, I have regarded Sony's stuff as being overpriced for some time with respect to the level of content. But, it's a pseudo-premium brand and Sony's spent a great deal on their goodwill. For Sony prices, I'd probably buy a Fuji.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have stolen from CINERAMAX before and I only hope he indulges me once again. The cost difference maybe marginally explained by addition of this feature which is not part of the Panasonic electronics. The much touted AVM feature from Fujitsu would appear to be offered by Sony, but in a different (serial vs parallel) way.

The AVM single chip Parallel processor leverages picture optimization opportunities that are simply not possible with external scalers. The Sony AVM imitation (XBR 950 series) is done with a serial processor, yet it exhibits SONY's HD broadcast expertise. In my view single chip plasma is way above the mediocre plasma mass.

These single chip processors can perform functions pertaining to the Glass Phosphor driving scheme whilst simulataneously performing the frame deinterlacing and scaling functions, all within 60 hz cycles. Thru subfield processing. These chips have to be mounted on the glass, there is too much at stake to be attaching umbilicals to these single chip engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.