AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DRC is strange. I could have sworn that on the store WEGAs (36XBR800, e.g.) each DRC setting had the gray default "circle" in a different place.

The default settings on this TV seem to be Custom 1 25/1, Custom 2 55/50, Custom 3 90/80 (i.e., Reality/Clarity), yet for all 3 Custom modes, the gray circle is positioned at 25/1. I seem to be able to adjust the DRC, so the possible fact that the circle is incorrectly in the same place for all settings seems to be a non-issue, other than cosmetic.

It appears that I can set the DRC separately for each Picture Mode -- so I can use Standard for DirecTV and set my DRC for that, and use Pro for DVD, and set the DRC separately for that. Correct?

What is the difference between Reality and Clarity? One seems to sharpen and the other seems to soften the picture.

Also, the Mild mode totally disables Custom DRC and Cinemotion. Any idea why? I like Mild least of all -- too fuzzy. And -- when you cycle through the Picture settings, when you go from Pro to Mild, the TV blinks off for a split second. Any idea why that is?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss

Also, the Mild mode totally disables Custom DRC and Cinemotion. Any idea why? I like Mild least of all -- too fuzzy. And -- when you cycle through the Picture settings, when you go from Pro to Mild, the TV blinks off for a split second. Any idea why that is?
I've noticed this "blinking" as well, but only when feeding the TV a non-progressive signal. Watching a DVD in progressive mode, I can flip through the various Picture settings without that video drop-out ("blinking"). There is also no drop-out when I flip through the modes while using the HD receiver. Then again, I have it sending out 720p. If I remember, I'll switch the receiver to output 1080i and flip through the Picture modes to see if I get the blinking.

Also, with a progressive signal, the TV disables the cinemotion and DRC controls in all Picutre modes. So this would indicate that Mild Picture mode (which has these options disabled all the time) seems to think everything is a progressive signal, if that makes any sense.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. Anybody have any input?

Dave

EDIT: The manual explains what the difference is between Clarity and Reality. I don't remember how they described it.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're right about the Mild mode. I have an interlaced DVD player, so the blinking must be an internal switch from interlaced to progressive, and if the change doesn't occur, there's apparently no blinking.

P. 68 of the manual says Reality is "level of detail" and Clarity is "level of smoothness." Also, it's a bit misleading. It says you can customize it for up to 3 input sources, but you can actually do it for 3 sources for each of the 3 Picture modes, Vivid, Standard and Pro -- so that's potentially 9 different DRC settings, 3 for each Picture Mode.

Any idea where or when the ghosting fix (Image Revision - Auto, 0, 1, 2, 3) comes into play? This isn't the same thing as aligning the LCD panels, is it?

AND ... I detect no bad pixels on this 50" XBR.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I do remember coming across the Image Revision thing, and I switched between the settings and saw no difference in PQ. I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. I guess I should get around to reading that manual more closely. ;) But who the heck wants to sit there reading about a TV when you can just watch the the real thing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.